Why did I get the pro4+
1233 16 2017-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Outta1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46014 ft
United States

Im honestly so disappointed. I loved the idea of having a screen. Feelt safer.  Thing is you dont have a litte tablet. You can't do anything with it. No weather no anything that could empower its use. Wanted to use this professionally but its UI is on lock down.

Anyone know any work arounds to getting this drone back to awesome? Any hacks for the screen?

2017-1-20
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.2

United States

DJI say they are working on it, but thee is no current workaround that I am aware of, other than to purchase a P4P remote.
2017-1-20
Use props
Chomho
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20030 ft
United Kingdom

I was/am really deflated as well the + looked the best option I nievely presumed that you would be able to use a tablet alongside or instead of the screen or at least use some off the available apps . I'm most disappointed with DJI though as they won't comment on any of the problems ,there are rumours of "fixes"
2017-1-21
Use props
Bfd300
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73661 ft
United States

What's UI?
2017-1-21
Use props
sakumar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 239134 ft
  • >>>
United States

User Interface. The Plus display does run Android but it has been modified to prevent you from downloading any apps.
2017-1-21
Use props
gvgeorge
lvl.2
United States

Ob1415 Posted at 2017-1-20 21:53
DJI say they are working on it, but thee is no current workaround that I am aware of, other than to purchase a P4P remote.

Do you remember the source of the information that DJI is working on this issue and what they are doing? I share the same general impression, but can't remember any detail on exactly what they have said they are doing. I don't even know for sure that Ground Station will be available on the P+.  
2017-1-21
Use props
gabriel.magana
lvl.2
Flight distance : 177254 ft
United States

Well, to be fair, the not being able to install anything new on it IS in the FAQs.
2017-1-21
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Before buying need to read on the product, and from the first unit that was out few month ago, people mentioned that you CAN NOT add any apps to the Crystal display which will defeat the purpose of having a dedicated app/display for the drone.

I use the P4P+ and am extremely happy with the clear, bright display even though I would prefer a little bit bigger one but especially for professional in the bright sun it is a and EXTREME PLUS.

Protect animal population. Spay or Neutered and license your Pet!
2017-1-21
Use props
Dagon
lvl.2
United States

I'm glad I read this I was planning to order a P4P+ today because I like the idea of a bright, dedicated screen, but I'm planning to use it with DroneDeploy, which sound like it would be a problem with the built-in monitor.
2017-1-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Well I think there are better days ahead for the P4p + , sometimes is seems the grass is always greener on the other side, but I think p4p + will have its day in the sun..
2017-1-21
Use props
sirrod
New

United States

Hell I can't even get this thing up and running. Especially when everything is coming up in Chinese even after I selected English. Can you help me. I want to get this thing going!
2017-1-21
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

Think of the built in screen as fat shark goggles. You can't add the weather channel or software to the goggles either. The solution is buying the standard controller if you need a phone or tablet to run your P4P. I am always surprised when people expect to be able to use the built in screen like it is a cell phone.
2017-1-21
Use props
Dagon
lvl.2
United States

" I am always surprised when people expect to be able to use the built in screen like it is a cell phone."

When I was considering the Pro + I assumed that you had the option of adding a phone or tablet as needed, in addition to the screen, but it sounds like that's not an option, so it would be a non-starter since I'm planning to use DroneDeploy with my Phantom. Or am I missing something?
2017-1-21
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
Flight distance : 218087 ft
  • >>>
United States

P4P+ Posted at 2017-1-21 11:45
Think of the built in screen as fat shark goggles. You can't add the weather channel or software to the goggles either. The solution is buying the standard controller if you need a phone or tablet to run your P4P. I am always surprised when people expect to be able to use the built in screen like it is a cell phone.

Respectfully, the screen is actually a full android system, custom built on android 4.1, that has restrictions that have to be added as part of the creation of the android system itself.

Also, its totally harsh to include FB, Instagram and Twitter, as well an internet browser by default. Im not trying to start a fight, just highlighting the differences between the devices.
2017-1-21
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

gabriel.magana Posted at 2017-1-21 07:54
Well, to be fair, the not being able to install anything new on it IS in the FAQs.

True. i did not read the faq. it being my first drone, i went with what I perceived as 'the best'. Then I learned about these cool third party apps. So i sorta didnt learn what i'd lost until after I made my decision.

If i buy a computer, i would assume they would tell me in bright letters on the front page: Only Runs One App. But thats me

Cheers.
2017-1-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Langstonius Posted at 2017-1-21 16:38
Respectfully, the screen is actually a full android system, custom built on android 4.1, that has restrictions that have to be added as part of the creation of the android system itself.

Also, its totally harsh to include FB, Instagram and Twitter, as well an internet browser by default. Im not trying to start a fight, just highlighting the differences between the devices.

I don't ever recall seeing anything published by DJI saying the screen could be used for anything else. It is meant to be a dedicated screen that *should* run the DJI app flawlessly. Allowing you to install other apps of your choice completely defeats the whole idea of the screen, because those apps could totally screw up the screen and stop it performing its primary purpose of being a display screen.
2017-1-21
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-21 17:08
I don't ever recall seeing anything published by DJI saying the screen could be used for anything else. It is meant to be a dedicated screen that *should* run the DJI app flawlessly. Allowing you to install other apps of your choice completely defeats the whole idea of the screen, because those apps could totally screw up the screen and stop it performing its primary purpose of being a display screen.

By this logic they should have never released phone applications. We can go in circles debating it all day. Clearly I expected pro level HW / functionality and got (minus extra screen brightness) something else. And to be honest, I would expect the same if this wasn't my first drone as there is clearly a strong third party app community. It should p4p-training_wheels or something that doesn't imply i can do pro-level things, like use DroneDeploy or something else associated with professional work and not the baseline of hobby.   I could go on and on, but i feel it will fall on deaf ears so I wont bore you

cheers and happy flying.

2017-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules