Naza V2 M Flyaway
12515 35 2014-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mikeguitar76
New

Canada

Hi DJI,

I am an expert level pilot, have been flying RC for 20 years, and helis/multi for 10.
I have been using Naza V2 with GPS and have logged almost 100 hours this summer.

I was so impressed with Naza, that I have purchased 3 in total.

A few nights ago, after flying a few seconds, my hex decided to do whatever it wanted.

Immidiately I let go sticks to hover, nothing, then I stuck it into Atti (was flying gps), nothing, then I tried to failsafe, nothing, so then I sent a motor stop command before turning off my TX.

Here is a video of me flying to support that I know how!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3z07b_CWfkA

What brand should I use if DJI has flyaways?

Mike, Victoria, BC Canada
2014-10-6
Use props
snewton
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22198 ft
United Kingdom

What was the K-Index? What was the geography like? Any environmental factors (power lines, wifi repeaters, cell towers, etc)? Last time you calibrated the compass and where? Firmware versions? Tx/rx combo used?

I'm sure you're an expert level pilot, but I've seen videos by expert level pilots that show them calibrating their compass with the aircraft sat on the roof of their pick-up truck, or flying within a few yards of high tension power lines, electric train lines, etc.

I'm not saying flyaways don't happen, but I do believe a "true" flyaway (one caused solely by firmware/hardware issues is a rare thing - otherwise there'd be thousands upon thousands of reports as we're all using the same firmware/hardware on this closed-source platform... I made a video about the subject on my YouTube channel and pointed out that for every video and forum post decrying any company for their kit causing a flyaway there are thousands of satisfied flyers who've never had so much as a sniff of a problem - but they don't tend to post about it. A video or forum post with the title "my aircraft flies fine and I've never had any issues" isn't going to get much publicity!

Just out of interest google the following:

"Arducopter flyaway"
"AR Drone flyaway"
"Walkera flyaway"
2014-10-8
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you please list what radio was used?
2014-10-8
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

Blade_Strike Posted at 2014-10-8 22:50
Can you please list what radio was used?

I just had a flyaway incident myself... After some low level flying and landings, my S900 with NAZA M V2 using a Spektrum DX9 decided to head straight up not responding to flight controls. Tried failsafe, etc. but it was gone...  It crashed on Pacific Blvd Vancouver destroying the frame, GoPro, battery, et al. *sigh* Glad in this instance no one was hurt.
2014-12-28
Use props
kosmas
lvl.2

Greece

Before a couple of months I had an issue of fly away caused by GPS - compass fail flying at about 80meters alt. Thanks to my experience in flying rc model helicopters switched to manual and brought back the copter safely to land. GPS send back to seller and after months ( :@ ) I got at last a new one. After that and until now all my flights are going well. But that experience says that, because sometimes s**t  happens, it is preferred to have some good knowledge of flying rc model helicopters before getting a multicopter (for all those who think that watching videos on youtube is enough to learn ).
2014-12-29
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

spuzzy@shaw.ca Posted at 2014-12-29 09:09
I just had a flyaway incident myself... After some low level flying and landings, my S900 with NAZA ...

Doesn't sound like you had a programmed failsafe in the rx. Spektrum requires a 2nd bind with U channel in failsafe area.
2014-12-29
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

Was my 3rd flight with this model... Tested failsafe and manual mode on previous flights; all was good. In this instance, it went full throttle straight up and outside visual (probably outside the range of the RX/TX as well)  then dropped out of the sky like a dead bird. There was nothing I could do to regain control...
2014-12-29
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like improper setup on fail safe bind. How did you test failsafe?
2014-12-29
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

By shutting off the transmitter.
2014-12-29
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

I calibrated the GPS compass here: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.2718272,-123.1251861,18z
After my S900 stopped responding to controlled level flight at 30ft elev, it shot several thousand feet up at full throttle on it's own (I have video) then dropped out of the sky here: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.2741827,-123.1282921,18z
This should never have happened; why my NAZA M V2 committed suicide on it's 3rd flight, I don't know (I did switch to Atti, Manual then Failsafe and no response as per mikeguitar76's original post)... As previously mentioned, glad no injuries or property damage as a 10 lb+ aircraft dropped out of the sky from thousands of feet up onto a busy street in Vancouver (aside from total loss of the aircraft/camera and issue reported to DJI [76090 - no response yet]); I consider myself very lucky. I have approx 1000 hrs R/C (~100 heli) + 80 hrs Cessna 172 (YBW/YLW).
2014-12-29
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

On researching 'flyaways' (seems caused by any number of factors including GPS, electrical/magnetic interference, vibration, firmware, geography, pilot error, et al) one thing seems to be common - 100% throttle. Appears to be a serious engineering defect? I wish my S900 had cut power instead of ignoring commands to the NAZA M V2 and launching itself thousands of feet up then dropping out of the sky...
2014-12-31
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry I missed that you were using a naza on an s900.. Did you know that this is an unsupported configuration?  What you are explaining is not standard behavior for a flyaway.. This sounds more like a spectrum lockout or improper failsafe.

2015-1-1
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

http://www.dji.com/product/spreading-wings-s900/faq
"The Naza-M V2 supports 9 types of traditional motor mixer including hexacopter and octocopter, but because of the S900’s large takeoff capacity, we suggest you fly the S900 with a DJI A2 or WooKong-M flight controller."
Several vendors (ie: Turbo Ace with their similiar sized Infinity 6) provide NAZA-M/Spektrum combos as FC options.
So guessed more a recommended configuration (if I intended on carrying heavy gear) versus an unsupported configuration? I've had lockouts on same/other brands of TX/RX used but were in fixed wing/gas engine applications; but these never resulted in dramatic changes to attitude/course/speed. F/S was set to default RTH.
2015-1-1
Use props
freddiebd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1891184 ft
Switzerland

I have heard of a crash which occurred when the gimbal on a DX8 failed  so this could've happened on your DX9.
2015-1-3
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

The gimbal was not connected to the main controller in this case (nor was the landing gear).
My best guess is some type of electrical/signal interference based on the location or an issue with the version of the firmware I was using (updates keep getting released). Although DJI automatically closed my issue as 'solved'; they have since asked for pictures/video. I provided both and as much telemetry detail as possible...

2015-1-4
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

But given weight (no heavy gear/lighter battery) and balance (CoG was 100% perfect) were ideal, maybe I should have still opted for the A2? Probably..  Would it have made a difference? I wish I knew...  Finally got a response for obtaining an RMA so fingers crossed.
2015-1-4
Use props
lcarpenter
lvl.1

United States

It looks from the video this is not a DJI?  Can you please tell me what platform you used?  I just bought a Vision to play with before spending the big bucks on an s1000 and had a very bad fly away...after getting 3 full days of training on DJI...so I'm wondering would you buy DJI again?
2015-1-8
Use props
freddiebd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1891184 ft
United Kingdom

spuzzy@shaw.ca Posted at 2015-1-5 04:55
The gimbal was not connected to the main controller in this case (nor was the landing gear).
My best ...

I mean the gimbal on the DX9 as it below the stick inside the transmitter
2015-1-10
Use props
dan_patrick.cha
New

United States

I had a failsafe issue with my Naza M V2.  Worked several times without any changes then one day for no apparent reason when I powered off my transmitter failsafe kicked in and instead of zooming back to the launch point it free fell very rapidly in place maintaining level fall with a slow prop turn.  Quad his the ground with an impact so hard that all for legs stuck into the ground about one inch.  Fortunately my design was a tanks!  I don't trust failsafe anymore.  Not happy guys and I'm reading a lot about this being an issue.  If DJI wanted to make this right they would send me a Naza Lite as they are known to be stable.  Paid a lot of money for this M V2 and not sure why I did that anymore.
2015-2-9
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

The gimbal was bound to the rear sliders. The customer support I received regarding my RMA was outstanding. I would not hesitate to buy DJI again (and will continue to do so)... Now flying with an A2.
2015-2-22
Use props
jdpitts
New

United Kingdom

spuzzy@shaw.ca Posted at 2015-2-23 04:37
The gimbal was bound to the rear sliders. The customer support I received regarding my RMA was outst ...

No incident since?
2015-4-12
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

I had what was called GPS jump its where the GPS rehomes its self elsewhere to any spot other than where it is supposed to be headed. I got the whole thing on video and it glitched in the air and it can be seen in the film, My craft is a X quad hf useful alien with a emax 4n1 esc , dji motors, ar600 receiver, a gopro and boscam 200 with cloverleaf pointed down. Ive flown it about 10 hours with my Naza V2 and flying FPV thru new glasses no head tracker.

I intended to try failsafe"switch" while FPV to experiance it in case of video black out or what not , when triggered it decided to fly away from me , soon as a realized it was going away i fliped it out of GPS mode and into home lock this disables the failsafe on my setup and puts it into full manual , once in manual i locked Altitude mode , brought her into a hover and pulled my glasses up. It took me near to a minute to find her in the air and my eyes to adjust to the full florida sun. I then pulled the sticks back and noticed movement seemed ok. Then i brought her back to me flew it just above the home location and triggered it again only to see her try to raise up and fly back to the new spot.  Got control back again and landed. I unplugged everything and reset it , everything went fine.

My word of advice as a intermediate multirotor pilot learn how to get control back , this can vary based on a few factors like remote used and set up. also dont freak out since its hard to pilot anything when you are shaken. save your freakout for after landing. The other thing is you cant use Turn off remote with Ar600 or Ar610, and you have to bind your radio with your switches in the alti hold and failsafe on position or it wont work ,you can test it by plugging your software in and turning the remote off it should trigger failsafe, if it dont it wont work.
2015-6-11
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

I have to say over the years I've never had issues with naza..  I think when people have fly always it's either user error or a crap radio system..  If you have a crap receiver and it shorts out or gets stupid, naza will do what that receiver tells it too..   So if your going to spend good money on all the other parts, then don't crap out on the radio...  Go with a futaba radio and receiver or futaba radio with ez-uhf system or stick with one of dji's control solutions..

I also think people using spectrum confuse fail safe with preset fail safe..  2 totally different things...  Fail safe is set when you bind the receiver to the transmitter and the stick positions are remembered and when signal breaks those stick positions are what the receiver will instruct naza to do..  Useful for a plane but not a multi rotor..  

PRESET fail safe is what needs to be set for a multi rotor..  It's done when you bind the receiver to the transmitter but you pull the bind plug out of the receiver after applying power to it and putting into bind mode, then you set throttle at 50% and set your mode switch to the fail safe position and then turn the transmitter on and select bind.  Then it binds telling the receiver if there is any communication issues to send the fail safe switch position to naza which tells naza to come home..

So if people aren't setting the preset fail safe on a speltrum rx you can bet the chances will be good a fly away will happen. Especially since most people move the right stick off center trying to bind the system...

2015-6-13
Use props
darrenraj86
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone had any un-normal behavior with Dji's Groundstation on a Ipad with a V2?
2015-6-16
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

No, works fine for me.. Even connected to my pc laptop it works fine..  Well it did before this recent firmware update. Since I updated the firmware on my naza I have t used groundstation yet but on firmware 4.02 it ran and worked fine for me...
2015-6-16
Use props
sune.olsson
lvl.2

Sweden

Naza m v2! It has come at last time to fc loses the connection to the gyro and compass. Compass/puck has be changed to new one, and install new software, the FC has worked well for years, but the last six months it has behaved badly. Has located problem to gyro and compass, sees it in The laptop that lost compass and gyro. Have check PMU,, and checked the cables so that no such, or looseness. I drive E600 Hexa. Could it be bad solder in FC…… nead help
Sorry for bad English
2016-8-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

sune.olsson@fla Posted at 2016-8-19 16:39
Naza m v2! It has come at last time to fc loses the connection to the gyro and compass. Compass/puck ...

To clarify, are you saying that you do not see any moving values in the gyroscope, acceleration and compass section of the Naza Assistant Software?
2016-8-19
Use props
sune.olsson
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-20 00:27
To clarify, are you saying that you do not see any moving values in the gyroscope, acceleration an ...

yes,,  and then i change gps puck its comming up again, and its working about 4--5 minutes,,, and hexa go down,,, i change gps puck again to old one and its up again,,,,,,strange.... i have 3 naza m v2 and 1 A2 fc and its no problem whit this,,,,,,,have do everything,,,   shell i go down to 4.02 software ????
2016-8-19
Use props
sune.olsson
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-20 00:27
To clarify, are you saying that you do not see any moving values in the gyroscope, acceleration an ...

Have change radio also to dji orginal dt7,,,  and its same problem,,, calibrated radio,,,and gyro,,,
2016-8-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

sune.olsson@fla Posted at 2016-8-20 12:19
yes,,  and then i change gps puck its comming up again, and its working about 4--5 minutes,,, and  ...

Did this happen after a firmware update or was it after a hard landing or long term storage? Does the GPS puck from the problematic unit work on your other Naza V2s without issue? Based on what you have provided, this may indicate an issue with the main controller itself.
2016-8-21
Use props
sune.olsson
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-21 21:50
Did this happen after a firmware update or was it after a hard landing or long term storage? Does  ...

I have upgrade fc then its come new software, it was better whit 4,02 version, now i have drill a hole in fc 0,3 mm shell test this today and see whats hapend, GPS puck works on other fc also Naza lite fc whitout problem. Thanks Jamie for you replay this.....
2016-8-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

sune.olsson@fla Posted at 2016-8-23 08:42
I have upgrade fc then its come new software, it was better whit 4,02 version, now i have drill a h ...

If the GPS puck works on other Naza V2 main controllers, then your issue is with this main controller. It is recommended to send it to the Europe Support Center for a RMA. Their contact information is as follows:

support.eu@dji.com

2016-8-23
Use props
sune.olsson
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-23 17:32
If the GPS puck works on other Naza V2 main controllers, then your issue is with this main control ...

Helo Jamie!  It was 3 weeks last time i wrote to you,,, now i have test and test Naza M V2,,,  After i drill this hole in FC so have Hexan fly like a angel,,,  maby 10 hourer in air and test,,,  So now i can say FC working properly, I have test 4S and 6S lipo and no glitch ore bad fly,,,,   Its like my other droner now, so i am am happy,,,  Tomorrow i shell test my A2 and 1200 Octocopter whit Arris Shoun 360 gimbal,, whit a Canon M camera...  I hope its good whit you.....  Here in morning then i fly it was 1 degree + ,,hehe   Tace care
So this hole in FC maby can fix lot of problem i drill 0,3mm
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

sune.olsson@fla Posted at 2016-9-12 22:09
Helo Jamie!  It was 3 weeks last time i wrote to you,,, now i have test and test Naza M V2,,,  Aft ...

I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue. The only thing that I worry is if you make holes in the flight controller, you would be voiding the warranty. If you have any warranty left on these components, the best course of action would be to send the parts in to the Europe Support Center for a repair service when you have issues.
2016-9-12
Use props
sune.olsson
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-12 22:20
I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue. The only thing that I worry is if you make hol ...

This FC is over 2 years old,,,, so if i shiping FC to DJI its be very expency,,,  if i dont fix it i have bay a new one...   So now its fly properly, i am glad i drill this hole, i have thinking about this long time.
Tace care and fly safe
//Sune
2016-9-12
Use props
alexbong
New

Singapore

sune.olsson@fla Posted at 2016-9-13 10:02
This FC is over 2 years old,,,, so if i shiping FC to DJI its be very expency,,,  if i dont fix it ...

May I know whats the purpose u drill the hole on fc?
2016-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules