Phantom 3 Standard with Kindle Fire Tablet
5019 11 2017-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanscf656e09
lvl.1
United States

Hello I am trying to use a 6th gen Kindle Fire HD 8" with the Phantom 3 Standard. I have installed google play and installed DJI GO with the tablet, but I noticed it is laggy and kind of slow. I have tried downgrading DJI GO to the 2.9.1 version but with that version, the fpv is horrible and unusuable, and the message at the top is "Weak image transfer signal" even when right next to the controller and drone. I have the latest firmware for the drone and was wondering if there is a way to fix this, or do I need to buy a faster tablet? Thanks.
2017-2-3
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Do you have a smartphone like an iPhone or later Android ?  Try that and see what difference before you start looking at spending money.

I daresay the Kindle is not really designed for this sort of job ...

Nigel
2017-2-3
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-2-3 12:15
Do you have a smartphone like an iPhone or later Android ?  Try that and see what difference before you start looking at spending money.

I daresay the Kindle is not really designed for this sort of job ...

I agree with Nigel. The kindle just doesn't have the horsepower to process the data required. IMO you need something with at least 1.8 GHZ or better to work smoothly. Most new phones are somewhere around 2.2GHZ anyway. I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking the kindle is somewhere in the 1.3 GHZ range....could be wrong, but borrow a newer phone from a friend and see if it makes the difference you are expecting.
2017-2-3
Use props
fanscf656e09
lvl.1
United States

I have tried an iPhone 6 with the drone and the video feed was near perfect. I will be returning the Kindle for something better. Which tablet would be best for around $150 - $200?
2017-2-3
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

If you can live with Android ... then I use the Nexus ver2 16Gb ..... I got a refurb in perfect condition for $150 of Ebay.

It has GPS built in - and I'm told its one of the few tablet GPS approved for PPL use ...

I have a good Smartphone and another tablet Cavion - but the Nexus was like a complete new world when I fired it up and used it.

But you will need to change the mount to fit it ... all of about $8 ..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-7-Ta ... hash=item58d1c51297

No drilling or fancy work - fits same as stock - with a clamp to the handle.

Nigel
2017-2-3
Use props
fanscf656e09
lvl.1
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-2-3 13:49
If you can live with Android ... then I use the Nexus ver2 16Gb ..... I got a refurb in perfect condition for $150 of Ebay.

It has GPS built in - and I'm told its one of the few tablet GPS approved for PPL use ...

I looked at the Nvidia Shield K1 8" and was thinking that would be a really good one. Any Experience on the Nvidia? A lot of people seem to be using it to fly their P3.
2017-2-3
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

fanscf656e09 Posted at 2017-2-3 14:12
I looked at the Nvidia Shield K1 8" and was thinking that would be a really good one. Any Experience on the Nvidia? A lot of people seem to be using it to fly their P3.

I have a Nivdia and I love it. Going on 1-year now. If you look around you might pick one up on ebay for $150-$200 used. Far cry from an I-pad. I have the early one , not the K1, and it is 1.8GZ.
2017-2-3
Use props
Cordblocker
New

United States

I use $50 kindle fire no problem at all.
2017-2-3
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

I use a Nexus 7 32GB II(2013), does the job well
2017-2-4
Use props
townsendfrank
lvl.2
Flight distance : 231171 ft

United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-2-3 13:49

Nigel I have read a lot of your posts and you seem be very savvy.Hope you can give me a little advice.
I have a P3S since Christmas and using a small LG android from Walmart.I have had no problems with
disconnects or lost live screen, turning gray.I got a great deal on a Samsung galaxy A7 which makes it
better to see.But now I keep getting disconnects where the screen turns gray and wants to rth.I shut
down most of the apps running in the background but the problem still persists.App is 3.1.1 and the
fw is 1.7.90.Do you think fw 2.9.1 would help fix this problem?
2017-2-4
Use props
El'KaBong
lvl.2

United States

townsendfrank Posted at 2017-2-4 13:13
Nigel I have read a lot of your posts and you seem be very savvy.Hope you can give me a little advice.
I have a P3S since Christmas and using a small LG android from Walmart.I have had no problems with
disconnects or lost live screen, turning gray.I got a great deal on a Samsung galaxy A7 which makes it

Make sure your phone or other tablet is not logging on to the phantoms wifi. I had the same thing happen and it was because my phone was connected to it also.
2017-2-4
Use props
townsendfrank
lvl.2
Flight distance : 231171 ft

United States

El'KaBong Posted at 2017-2-4 22:37
Make sure your phone or other tablet is not logging on to the phantoms wifi. I had the same thing happen and it was because my phone was connected to it also.

thanks El'KaBong.I have my phone Wi-Fi turned off when I go on a flight
2017-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules