falling out of sky
2889 16 2015-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jj71
New

United Kingdom

Hi I have had a problem with the phantom2 loosing power on one side and then regaining power again on the next two flights,witch I sent a vidio of it doing so to the supplying store and was told to calabrate on the computer.At this time the quad had not crashed ever,but on the next flight as it did it again the quad was not as high as the previous 2 flights and hit the floor,again this was on video.I was told to send it back for tests and was told that after studying the video it was there belief that we were trying to do a"barrol roll" and it would not be covered by warranty.The next email I recieved said they had checked the quad and found it not to be outputting 100% to the motors so has been fixed and returned.On return to myself we plugged it into the computer before flight and found that the u switch when in g.p.s mode was showing to be in atti mode,so has to be returned again.I phoned the shop to talk to them and was told that you have to except that the quad will crash for no reason and when it in bits there is no way of knowing what caused the crash.The repair that was done on the motors had been done on good will as this could of been caused by the crash and still think we were attemting to do a stunt,and I should not of bought a quad,as in all quad flying they fall, drop or crash for no reason.
Is this the case? As if this was made aware to me i wouldn't of spent £500 on this hoddy.I thought I was buying a quality quad that was fit for purpose.
My worry now is that if I get it back and it is all fixed,if it falls out of the sky and smashes it to bits where do I stand,as anything that turns up wrong can be put down to the crash.sorry for the long post.jj71

2015-2-20
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

Get an experienced hobby shop or someone proven good to look it over and help you on the next flight. These things can crash sure but it usually is the operator's fault they are pretty dependable and make 100% sure you follow directions.
2015-2-20
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

My P2V+  v3.0 out of the box on New Year's Eve was set up per manufacturers instructions and directions and no issues.
Had it cart wheel off the side of my house and upside down on my first flight due to an inaccurate compass calibration (my bad!) but no biggie as it escaped mostly unscathed (a busted prop and a few nicks) though i have been flying it quite happily and successfully ever since.
There should be no need out of the box to have to tweak anything per se except personal preferences i.e. return to home height etc. etc.

There have been reported issues of motor problems with certain version ESC's and so on and they are very difficult to verify. If you had any mishaps on your first few voyages and possibly strained motors etc. it is not impossible that something is running weaker than it should on one side and trying to compensate though difficult to tell from here and it could be causing problems.

All that said if you're doing or checking any calibrations at your home through the Phantom assistant software, make sure you are on a level surface and away from any kind of electronic interference. I say this from experience as one of the first times I went to check calibration (just because I wanted to see what the calibrations looked like in the software), the software told me everything was so way out of whack that I was concerned. Looking closely at that point I realized I was sitting next to a couple of very large speakers with big magnets in them and wondered if this is why all of the readings were so out of whack. And note, I had not had any issues per se flying it to this point other than pilot error but it was all more curiosity initially so I thought I would try another location in my home.
I then grabbed a laptop and moved to the middle of my kitchen where there was nothing around that could possibly interfere and found a level countertop. Upon loading the software and checking everything out it showed as everything was A-OK.

There are a few threads on folks recalibrating (as they actually needed to) and some very interesting findings as some of them have used shims of paper under the legs (and it took them a few tries to get the number of shims right) and such during the calibration on one side or the other and this solved a world of problems for them as prior to the calibration, their Phantom would skew to one side or the other.

Hope this helps and hope you are able to level it out.

2015-2-20
Use props
johnwmcgill
New

United States

This just happened to me.  After about a smooth uneventful 5 minute flight I was returning to land when all of the sudden the lights on the bottom went out, lost connection, lights came back on but I couldn't recover fast enough and it fell like a rock.  I think there is a battery connection problem.  Now my gimble is screwed up.  Any advice on fixing the gimble?
2015-2-20
Use props
echobiz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6198 ft
Malaysia

same problem happened to my brand new phantom and crash landed on the landing gear, broke my h4-3d gimbal and compass housing.... and i bought this phantom just barely 2 weeks ago!....it was flying ok for 5-6 minutes...and while I was landing slow horizontally to avoid any prop wash...the phantom just flips without hitting on anything and went out of control and crash, i suspect one of motors stop function momentarily causing it to flip....the battery was fully charge and I calibrated the compass before flying
video of the crash :

My only worry now is that I have bought a Phantom with factory defects and will unpredictably crash again even after fixing the gimbal.

I've been using the Phantom 1 for video work to past 1 year without any issues and was hoping the new Phantom 2 to work flawlessly too but it did not. Luckily it was a test flight before the real shoot the next morning.

I can't afford to crash the Phantom in front of my client and will stick to my old Phantom for now until DJI resolve this issue which I hope they do cus the footages I get from the Phantom 2 with zenmuse H4-3D along with HERO 4 is almost perfect without any vibrations!

I've written to DJI about this and lets hope they come up with a positive solution!

2015-2-21
Use props
jj71
New

United Kingdom

Hi Thanks for all the replys.I have watched the video that was posted and it is near perfect copy of what happened to mine(when my lad is here i will get him to upload our videos)I have since read that newer v2 quads had some problems with esc and mine was a november/december quad.It came in a box that was for the old v2 as it said on the box the controller needed 2 batterys,so phoned b4 opening to make sure that it was the newer one.As the leg with the compass took the damage(it bent) I thought replacing the esc might have pointed to the problem that people are talking about,but now that is done there is no way of knowing.Pilot error will cause a crash I'm sure one day as I get overconfident with it,but at this time(about 6 flights)it is being flown in open spaces and linked to the computer all the time after flights to see if the sticks are responding as they should.The calibration is done away from all other electrical items on a flat level desk.One more thing,the quad although in nas m mode has never been flown out of gps mode and never out of sight.Thanks
2015-2-21
Use props
jj71
New

United Kingdom

the video of loss of power http://youtu.be/jCl32aRnw58The crash http://youtu.be/Gv_Bcf-Hmnw
2015-2-21
Use props
Eirlink
lvl.4

Ireland

if its under warranty, please return it for inspection,
2015-2-21
Use props
cayers13
lvl.3

United States

not funny but I immediately thought of Star Fox
maxresdefault.jpg
2015-2-21
Use props
jj71
New

United Kingdom

Eirlink are u from DJI,as the shop had it fixed,but on the first phone call they said DJI had seen the footage and wanted it returning to germany and for some reason that never happened.As it was over the phone I have no record of this.Thankyou
2015-2-21
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

This literally just happened to me about 20 minutes ago. Here is the video for comparison. I got a battery communication error on the app but I think thats because the battery popped out when it landed. Luckily it landed in soft snow and I wasn't that high.

2015-2-21
Use props
cayers13
lvl.3

United States

teedo757 Posted at 2015-2-22 05:04
This literally just happened to me about 20 minutes ago. Here is the video for comparison. I got a b ...

I'm terrified of this happening. Hope the snow prevented any damage for you.
2015-2-21
Use props
jj71
New

United Kingdom

the more they crash the more spares they sell.DJI aren't bothered with you once they have your hard earnt moneyI was told by the retailer that they make £36 on a sale.good marketing and alot of youtube videos shot on phantoms sell themselves.
2015-2-21
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

cayers13@gmail. Posted at 2015-2-22 05:06
I'm terrified of this happening. Hope the snow prevented any damage for you.

No damage just snow packed into the motor and props. I have the regular vision so the gimbal is pretty solid. I had 0 problems the first 2 month I had it but now i'm shooting like 25% that something goes wrong. I'll try connecting it and recalibrating everything again and see if it helps.
2015-2-21
Use props
echobiz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6198 ft
Malaysia

jj71 Posted at 2015-2-22 05:30
the more they crash the more spares they sell.DJI aren't bothered with you once they have your hard  ...

why would they want to ruin their reputation like that?  just to sell a few spares? It doesn't make sense cus is bad for business in the long run...It will costs them nothing to listen to a few complaints, fix the issues and move on to sell more quads instead. Human errors will sell their spares not factory defects.
2015-2-21
Use props
jj71
New

United Kingdom

Well From what I've read on here customer service isn't there strong point.A.T.M they have the market cornered.People are struggling to get cheap ribbons to fix minor faults,so even a home repair turns out to be be shop return.
2015-2-28
Use props
nivenwalters
New

United Kingdom

Very intresting to read this thread as I have a pretty similar thing happen to me last week. Had flew many flights no problem and then this happened.

2015-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules