Sudden Loss of stability / wing over.
773 16 2017-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ElCid79
lvl.1
United States

So this afternoon I was flying in atti mode. I was at full forward speed and  began to yaw the aircraft to the left and transition to a full right straffe.  The drone snapped over on itself and began to tumble.  Then it rapidly recovered and I brought it in for a landing.

Several questions.  

One, is it possible that this maneuver caused an issue with prop wash / turbulence.  

Two what else could this be?

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=QSkISs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVMoNHhpa2M

2017-3-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

At 368' you might have a strongwind gust. Also what were you doing at 368' with ATTI MODE???
2017-3-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It is a pity the camera did not capture the tumble.
2017-3-4
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

Struth, have you had any problems with stress cracks. It sounds to me that you just exceeded the Phantoms flying envelope with the possible assistance of some turbulence and to its credit the AC recovered to fight another day.
2017-3-4
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

dronist Posted at 2017-3-4 20:22
At 368' you might have a strongwind gust. Also what were you doing at 368' with ATTI MODE???

Flying his drone. That's what he was doing.
2017-3-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-4 21:12
Flying his drone. That's what he was doing.

In ATTI mode???
2017-3-4
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Yes there is nothing wrong with flying in ATTI mode.
Many people fly in Atti mode. Just not recommended for newbies.
2017-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sounds a lot more exciting than it looks.
2017-3-5
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-5 00:59
Yes there is nothing wrong with flying in ATTI mode.
Many people fly in Atti mode. Just not recommended for newbies.

As you said, for EXPERIENCED pilots, and that's what I meant. It is very hard to fly ATTI when it is low ALT AND LOS and when it is a POINT in the sky it is even harder. Then people will complain my drone flew away I don't trust my drone....
2017-3-5
Use props
ElCid79
lvl.1
United States

For what its worth, I have extensive experience with flying non gyro helicopters and model aircraft.  Atti mode is not a concern for me.
2017-3-5
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ElCid79 Posted at 2017-3-5 15:23
For what its worth, I have extensive experience with flying non gyro helicopters and model aircraft.  Atti mode is not a concern for me.

Just clearing it up for the newbies who will be reading the post!
2017-3-5
Use props
Sp00nix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28678 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-3-5 16:20
Just clearing it up for the newbies who will be reading the post!

I spent many hours flying dummy drones so i know what to expect in atti mode, weather if its intentional or sudden loss of GPS. It's not that hard as long as you pay attention to what you are doing.
2017-3-5
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I've had mine on it's side doing just what you described - chasing cars, ATTI for full speed and tried a fast turn into a strafe. It flipped to the side, didn't go all the way over and it recovered almost immediately, but certainly gave me a scare. Almost as if some of the sensors couldn't keep up. Flight logs mentioned something about compass turns too great.

Push that envelope
2017-3-5
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sp00nix Posted at 2017-3-5 16:48
I spent many hours flying dummy drones so i know what to expect in atti mode, weather if its intentional or sudden loss of GPS. It's not that hard as long as you pay attention to what you are doing.

Good for you, again I am clearing up the comments for the newbies who will be reading the thread. It is NOT meant for pros like you and again when you are at 385' and get disoriented it is hard for any NON EXPERIENCED pilot to control and bring it back and NOT to account if they get stuck in strong wind gust, low battery beeping or whatever circumstances and get panic and....
2017-3-5
Use props
ElCid79
lvl.1
United States

I think you are making very reasonable points.  GPS mode exists for a reason, it certainly makes it easier.     Particularly with people new to model aviation.    However, everyone should spend time to learn to fly in atti, just in case.
2017-3-6
Use props
lefgrter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 139738 ft
Greece

You can  try to download flight log from ac and view it with assistant. Maybe  this way you can see more technical details about the problem.
2017-3-6
Use props
ElCid79
lvl.1
United States

I loaded the flght log into healthydrones.  It doesn't show anything notable.   
2017-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules