Buying my first DJI. On a budget. P3S or hold out for Mavic rumor?
1612 19 2017-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kalerad
lvl.1
Flight distance : 198114 ft
United States

Hey everyone! I am a novice creator looking to get deeper into drone videography and photography. I purchased a cheap phantom knockoff (Syma X8G) and fell in love with the hobby. I am now in the market to upgrade but can't afford the Mavic and phantom 4 price. Do you guys think I should bite the bullet and get the P3S? or hold out and see if there's any substance to the Mavic Standard rumors?

Thanks
2017-3-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Personally ... go find a P3 Advanced or Pro ...... decent second hand are good prices. There are even clearance ones around.

Excellent video ... excellent range ... plenty of info online to keep them going ...

Nigel
2017-3-11
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-11 09:27
Personally ... go find a P3 Advanced or Pro ...... decent second hand are good prices. There are even clearance ones around.

Excellent video ... excellent range ... plenty of info online to keep them going ...

Yep, P3A or P3 Pro would be the way to go if you are on a budget. I would have no issues buying a refurbished P3 Pro. Whatever you do though, I would buy from Amazon if you can. They give you 30 days to return an item, and if you have a problem, you can return the item and get a new one.

I have a friend who has a P3S, and he gets amazing video from it, so even though most people will recommend the P3A and P3 Pro over a P3S, a P3S is still awesome in my eyes.
2017-3-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

If short range - mostly close in photo / video - the P3S is very good ...

I have a P3S and I reckon its marvelous ... I did some modifications to get good range .... all in cost me about same as refurb P3A after the addons etc.

Nigel
2017-3-11
Use props
Kalerad
lvl.1
United States

Maxxgold Posted at 2017-3-11 09:38
Yep, P3A or P3 Pro would be the way to go if you are on a budget. I would have no issues buying a refurbished P3 Pro. Whatever you do though, I would buy from Amazon if you can. They give you 30 days to return an item, and if you have a problem, you can return the item and get a new one.

I have a friend who has a P3S, and he gets amazing video from it, so even though most people will recommend the P3A and P3 Pro over a P3S, a P3S is still awesome in my eyes.

Yeah I've done a lot of research over the last few months. Been researching since before the Mavic came out, actually. The $400 price of the Standard is extremely attractive to me especially with the quality of video I see from it. I'm trying to justify the P3a/p, but I've never been a fan of buying discontinued products...

I was hoping the P3 SE would make it to american markets soon as well. it released at the same price as the Standard in China.
2017-3-11
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Kalerad Posted at 2017-3-11 09:43
Yeah I've done a lot of research over the last few months. Been researching since before the Mavic came out, actually. The $400 price of the Standard is extremely attractive to me especially with the quality of video I see from it. I'm trying to justify the P3a/p, but I've never been a fan of buying discontinued products...

I was hoping the P3 SE would make it to american markets soon as well. it released at the same price as the Standard in China.

the p3a or p3p are worth while still.
The p3 s will most likely soon join that disco category so don't use that as sole factor.

a solid refurb can be bought for 500-700 today and are worth every dollar , value wise.
every drone I bought has been refurb/ open box.
if the mavic standard shows up later then sell the p3p then

and my current p3p bought used is  still flying as if new over a year later.

good luck and have fun flying!  what ever you choose..

after using Lightbridge technology( p3a or p3p) versus Wifi (P3s) it is hard to look backwards!

new p3p--https://www.walmart.com/ip/DJI-P ... p;wl13=&veh=sem
2017-3-11
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

well alot of new runs gave issues like p4+ gimble. i have a p3s i do like it. but the adv/pro have more accessories and beter range.
2017-3-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kalerad Posted at 2017-3-11 09:43

"The $400 price of the Standard is extremely attractive to me especially with the quality of video I see from it. I'm trying to justify the P3a/p, but I've never been a fan of buying discontinued products..."

The Standard is just there to offer something to those on a low budget but the Advanced and Pro offer much, much more.
The Std is really just a P2V+ with very minor updates while the tech of Adv and Pro are a whole generation ahead and much better.
Anyone that's used a Lightbridge drone wouldn't go back to old fashioned wifi.
2017-3-11
Use props
Kalerad
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-11 15:50
"The $400 price of the Standard is extremely attractive to me especially with the quality of video I see from it. I'm trying to justify the P3a/p, but I've never been a fan of buying discontinued products..."

The Standard is just there to offer something to those on a low budget but the Advanced and Pro offer much, much more.

Appreciate the response and advice from you and everyone else.

Heavily considering a P3 Advanced now. In general it looks like I can get one for about $100 more than the P3 Standard. Considering I'm looking to make money off of the drone, I can justify the higher pricetag (and possibly convince the wife as well ;) )
2017-3-11
Use props
Fruxen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

Upgraded from a Syma X8G myself, you're heading for a fantastic new drone experience. A single Phantom battery costs twice what I paid for the Syma!

I don't know what the prices in other countries are.
The Phantom 3 Std and 4K are both around 500€ here in Sweden.
Phantom 3 Adv and Pro are 750€, so that's 50% more.
I ended up getting "used" Phantom 4 for 900€. Opened box but had not been flying at all from what I could tell.

I'm really happy with my purchase! BUT, so far I haven't been able to get more than 800m range even with fairly good conditions away from houses and a Windsurfer antenna. Everyone on the forums praised the Lightbridge technology to be far superior Wifi, but so far naturally I'm not very impressed about the range. Might have a faulty P4? :/ But I hope/expect to get better range when I eventually try the range in the middle of nowhere. Also hoping for a firmware fix.

I usually ask myself "Ok this purchase is expensive, but what would I buy instead for the money saved on the cheaper option?" If it's "nothing right now", I get the expensive option. But if you are REALLY tight on money I would say the Phantom 3 4K is actually an option to consider.
2017-3-11
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

First, buy whatever drone you like for whatever reason you like. It's your right. IMO, though, you should consider what you really want to do and what will fulfill those needs. There's always something "better" on the market and, even if you buy the supposed best, a few months later something newer will be released. Sometimes it's better not to get on that treadmill at all. I bought a P3S, not because I couldn't buy a more expensive drone, but because it does most of what I want a drone to do at a bargain of a price. It's also expandable with cheap antenna mods and app software. Sure, the more expensive drones have neat features, but there are two truisms in photography: better skill will get you further than better gear; the best camera in the world is the one you have with you.
2017-3-12
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I have to agree with "DroneSmeg" ...

I could easily afford a Pro and not dent my pocket ,,, but what I wanted was a 500m photo machine. The P3S hit the mark.

I may have money to spare - but nobody gets rich by spending it !

I added approximately $50 of modifications to it and have a dependable machine out to over 1.5km.

For another $50 .. I will have 3km..................

Nigel
2017-3-12
Use props
JBinFla
lvl.2
United States

I'd get a P4 refurbished directly from DJI.  $799 last I looked, and you have full warranty, and you can't tell it was refurbished.
2017-3-12
Use props
Kalerad
lvl.1
United States

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-3-12 00:36
First, buy whatever drone you like for whatever reason you like. It's your right. IMO, though, you should consider what you really want to do and what will fulfill those needs. There's always something "better" on the market and, even if you buy the supposed best, a few months later something newer will be released. Sometimes it's better not to get on that treadmill at all. I bought a P3S, not because I couldn't buy a more expensive drone, but because it does most of what I want a drone to do at a bargain of a price. It's also expandable with cheap antenna mods and app software. Sure, the more expensive drones have neat features, but there are two truisms in photography: better skill will get you further than better gear; the best camera in the world is the one you have with you.

I appreciate your post. I am going with the P3S. Extra range is nice, but honestly I don't know that I'd want to go that distance with a $600+ piece of equipment.

My main goal is to get into realestate photography/videography, and a few other things. I figure I can make a decent start with this set up and earn some extra funds and move up to better drones in the future. Also before anyone says it's difficult to get into and it's competitive. I have a good friend who flips houses and already offered to pay me to film his houses, and my uncle is a custom home builder who wants drone video too.

Can't pass up the current sale on a refurbished P3S at $329.

Thanks for everyone's input.
2017-3-20
Use props
Kalerad
lvl.1
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-12 09:29
I have to agree with "DroneSmeg" ...

I could easily afford a Pro and not dent my pocket ,,, but what I wanted was a 500m photo machine. The P3S hit the mark.

Thank you! Your post was also very helpful. You can read my other post, but I basically want the same thing. And with realestate, most people only use Facebook and their own websites which probably won't even use 1080p much less 2.7k and 4k, so going high end when I don't have to is silly.

Thanks again!
2017-3-20
Use props
JackA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

Kalerad:  I see that you are in the United States, the FAA requires all commercial use of an unmanned aircraft to be under the control of a Part 107 qualified pilot.  The exam as all FAA exams are is difficult to pass because of the exceedingly precise  answers required.  There are prep courses which are worth the money or you can self study.  Anyway, my advice is that you look into the requirements and ensure you understand the risk of operating in the commercial space without meeting the legal requirements.
2017-3-20
Use props
Kalerad
lvl.1
United States

JackA Posted at 2017-3-20 08:06
Kalerad:  I see that you are in the United States, the FAA requires all commercial use of an unmanned aircraft to be under the control of a Part 107 qualified pilot.  The exam as all FAA exams are is difficult to pass because of the exceedingly precise  answers required.  There are prep courses which are worth the money or you can self study.  Anyway, my advice is that you look into the requirements and ensure you understand the risk of operating in the commercial space without meeting the legal requirements.

Thanks for the concern. I've been studying for the exam for a few weeks now. I never go half assed in my research haha. Again, I appreciate you looking out!
2017-3-20
Use props
JackA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

BTW; the Phantom 3 Standard will perform the tasks you expect with excellent results.  Because most of your work will be performed at less than 100 meters distance the Wi-Fi based command and control will be more than adequate.  The camera resolution is also better than required for both still and video images.  
2017-3-20
Use props
Kalerad
lvl.1
United States

JackA Posted at 2017-3-20 08:24
BTW; the Phantom 3 Standard will perform the tasks you expect with excellent results.  Because most of your work will be performed at less than 100 meters distance the Wi-Fi based command and control will be more than adequate.  The camera resolution is also better than required for both still and video images.

Thanks for the encouraging words! I thought so as well. I'm very excited to get deeper into this field of work.

Now if I can just beat these sectional charts and metar and taf codes into my head
2017-3-20
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

I was lucky to purchase a p3s £350 2 months old for my first drone and find it does
most of what I wish to do and with a little money you can get greater distance
2017-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules