FPV Booster App
5777 16 2015-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bosse.andrew
lvl.2

United States

Does anyone use this app? If so what is the feedback? I'm trying to figure out if I should buy it or not.
2015-2-24
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

welcome back gerry

2015-2-24
Use props
bosse.andrew
lvl.2

United States

if you reset your home location (dynamic home point) mid flight will that change be seen on the app on google maps as well?
2015-2-24
Use props
jumanoc
lvl.1

Colombia

Over Android it only apply to entend WiFi range, but iOS version has amazing features, including Logger, Fly Over Google Maps real time, Antenna best orientation tool, titl speed, and others.

FPV Booster (iOS features)
2015-2-25
Use props
godfrey.dayo
lvl.2

China

I purchased it for the flight log and tracking features. I checked the settings menu and I could not see anything about dynamic home point. Others maybe able to point it out. I never take off unless the Home Point is clearly shown in the map.

Flightlog.jpg
Flighttracker.jpg
2015-2-25
Use props
buzzcbr.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

Okay, I have to ask the question here. How can this app be any better then the DJI one for distance and reception for the wifi?. After all, its only software and it dosent make any physical alteration to the wifi extender - how can it?. The wifi extender is what it is and cant be altered by a third party software application - surely?.

So are the users of this app being a little over enthusiastic or fooling themselves.

Yes, it may have additional features and mentioned in the post above - but to increase the range of the wifi - I doubt it. The extender has an output and can only be changed by hardware application.

So come on, convince me that it really works - show me proof.

Buzz
2015-2-26
Use props
Swerve
lvl.3

United Kingdom

There are a number of youtube videos testing this. Most agree that it does indeed boost the signal as the previous poster suggests. Well worth a look.

I have the FPV booster which I use for the tracking module but not actually pushed it on the range side of things yet.
2015-2-26
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

The apps change the level of the signal to transmitter. The problem is just because you may raise the signal level to the transmitter doesn't always mean the output level of the signal leaving the transmitter will increase or be better.
Changing the level could alter the  characteristics of the signal which the transmitter might not like. It is kind of like a radio in your car. Just because you turn the volume up and the music gets louder doesn't  mean it will be clear and understandable. If the signal going to the receiver is stronger but distorted the reciever might not understand it and interpret it as a weak signal and drop the connection.

A level change on one transmitter that works well may not work on another. This is true with all radio systems. This is why DJI sets the value at a nominal level that works on almost all their systems. But if you tweak the parameters a little the performance may get better on that system. The question is which way do you need to tweak the signal level higher more powrr or lower with less distortion?

I personally like apps that allow you to control the signal level. The down side of that is it might be possible to set the signal level high enough that it might not only degrade proformace but might stress the input to the transmitter and cause damage it over time. Each radio is a little different, like people.

The pictures below are from my system and the signal level in the app was only changed by a few dBm. The other thing to know is the output level is different when the motors are running and when they aren't. The level increases when the motors start.

The boosted signal is the yellow trace on channel 9 named asterisk not the one named Phantom you connect to with your device. Also you might be able to increase your range just by changing the channel if the area you are flying in has a lot of traffic on the channel your system is set to.

Unboosted

Boosted

2015-2-26
Use props
buzzcbr.gmail
lvl.4
United Kingdom

So. looking at the graphs I ask the question. Is it possible to fly the drone beyond the wifi range so we have no FPV (out of wifi range but not controller range), or will it always be in FPV.

If the answer is Yes, its possible to fly it out of wifi range (phantom is 800 mts in FCC setting) then it might be worth having. But if the answer is no, it will always be in range (800 mts) then I wont bother.

I dont want the flight log or tracker side of it, I just always want to see what Im filming.
2015-2-26
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

I used FPV Booster(Android) on the phantom 2 Vision Plus before I modded my controller and WiFi extender and was able to get about 200 feet more. When I added the RP-SMA connectors to my controller and WiFi extender and used 9Dbi omni directional antennas with FPV Booster, I was then able to get 300-400 feet more then without the booster app.
I now use Sunhans WiFi boosters with 6Db attenuators and antennas from FPVLR and apps like this can fry your Sunhans boosters.
I have not tested my distances yet with my new boosted set up cause of the weather but I am hopping to get about 2 miles.

And before I get flamed for modding my controller. I will only be using the boosters when I go into the mountains. I have 2 controller set ups for when I am around civilization and for when im in the middle of no-where. I stay under 400 feet, keep Los and always check the latest No-Fly zones maps before I fly. I have even called some places before I fly even though they are not on the map just to verify flight is ok.

http://youtu.be/Ii2xuRQM8zk

2015-2-26
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

buzzcbr.gmail Posted at 2015-2-26 22:10
So. looking at the graphs I ask the question. Is it possible to fly the drone beyond the wifi range  ...

The answer is it depends. It depends on where you are, the terrain, the frequency and type of other RF signals in the area etc. I have had both scenarios FPV dropped out first, or control signal lost first. All things being equal (power level, interference etc.) on paper the control signal should be lost first as the wavelength of the control signal on the P2V+ is shorter (higher freq). But in the real world different freqs are affected by different ambient conditions.
2015-2-26
Use props
bbrunner11.gmai
lvl.1

United States

I use one, and it works quite well.  But like JATO mentions, it really depends on your surroundings.  I have found that I get better range overall (LOS and obstructed), so for $10 it's worth it imo.
2015-2-26
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

It works.  I got noticeable improvements.
2015-2-26
Use props
buzzcbr.gmail
lvl.4
United Kingdom

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-2-26 22:12
I used FPV Booster(Android) on the phantom 2 Vision Plus before I modded my controller and WiFi exte ...

Posted comment on your youtube vid - very nice - you obviously know your stuff. !
2015-2-26
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

buzzcbr.gmail Posted at 2015-2-27 02:00
Posted comment on your youtube vid - very nice - you obviously know your stuff. !

Thank you I have just implemented what I know from being a network admin for many years but most of what I have learned lately is from these forums and Tony from fpvlr.com
2015-2-26
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I have to ask: Does this app boost the transmit power past the legal limits for WiFi? If not, why doesn't DJI boost the power themselves? Did I just talk about flight club?

I tested the TxPower app which does the same thing and found that at 15 db gain it made a very noticiable difference in the maximum range for FPV. I am considering adding a better antenna to the controller to increase control range as well. It is not about flying further. It is about additional safetly margin and fewer disconnects.
2015-2-26
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2015-2-27 03:25
I have to ask: Does this app boost the transmit power past the legal limits for WiFi? If not, why do ...

As I said each radio system is different. For DJI to set each transmitter to the legal max limit they would have to test and tweak each unit. Doubt they want to spend the time and money to do that in a production floor environment. So they set them to some nominal value that will work for all the units but may not be the optimum for any one particular unit. Again setting the value to high may damage some units.
2015-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules