OK to charge partially discharge battery?
5035 3 2017-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KJIsaacson
lvl.1
United States

Is it OK to put the intelligent battery on the charger even when it's only about 25% down, or should I wait? I'm old enough to remember when charging partially discharged batteries created a "memory problem" resulting in severely limiting the battery life.

Since I have three batteries, I'd like to put the just-used battery on the charger at the end of each flight and pop in a fully-charged battery at the start of each flight.

So...charge the just-used battery regardless of level?

Many thanks.

Ken

2017-3-30
Use props
n0gga
lvl.2
Flight distance : 502044 ft
Norway

I would actually prefer charging them when at 25-30%. Draining them completely on every flight will ruin the batteries alot faster.
I also put them right back in the charger (or give them a minute depending om temperature). This is in case of good flying conditions in the near future. Stored batteries will drain themselves when needed.
2017-3-30
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Is it OK to put the intelligent battery on the charger even when it's only about 25% down

Yes.

I'm old enough to remember when charging partially discharged batteries created a "memory problem" resulting in severely limiting the battery life.

Yes, that was / is true of some types of battery but that won't happen with these LiPo batteries.

I'd like to put the just-used battery on the charger at the end of each flight

They shouldn't be charged while still warm / hot immediately after a flight; let them cool off first, but yes, it's fine to charge them at any time after that.
2017-3-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can set them to discharge in your app automatically, to just over 50%, no problem charging them if already partially charged, it's not a good idea to take of with less than 100% battery.
2017-3-30
Use props
KJIsaacson
lvl.1
United States

Great. Thanks so much.
2017-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules