Samsung and DJI Go 4
4175 9 2017-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Glitch
lvl.2
United States

I'll preface that I understand I'm a bit of an idiot who din't pay enough attention to "Recommended Devices" prior to purchasing.
Presuming the proliferation of DJI drones, my relativel satisfactory experience with a P3P and the DJI Go app, I just initiated my Mavic only to realize it requires a DJI GO 4.

EVERY play store rating for the past few updates is 1 or 2 star at best aside from an extreme minority who have the exact recommended devices. (and perhaps even a few of those are extremely crash prone).

Having only received my Mavic on Wed, and using a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime would you suggest I----
    A- Return, as I expect it is within the time frame for a refund (really don't want to, I'm very excited for what it can do, but not at the expense of an app that's only functional for seconds at a time.)
    B- Buy a Galaxy S5 off ebay for ~140, just to have a recommended device (presuming DJI Go 4 will actually work on that?)
    C- Wait patiently until DJI sort their @#$% out so it doesn't crash because of the travesty that is DJI Go 4?

Other thoughts?
(I really am excited for such a small drone with such potential functionality, but I live in CO with mountains, cliffs, canyons, bluffs and basically all sorts of terrain that will kill a drone if it's not perfectly and continuously controllable)
2017-3-30
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

I have both a Galaxy S5 and a S7edge.  They both crash constantly but amazingly enough the S5 is the worst.  I realize that there are some that have had good luck with the S5, but I'm not one of them.  The last advice from DJI has been to send the aircraft and remote in for evaluation.  While it certainly could be a hardware issue, I find this somewhat of a stretch.  Personally I wouldn't purchase any Android device specifically for use with DJI GO4 until they get the app sorted out as using a recommended device is no guarantee that it will work.
2017-3-30
Use props
Glitch
lvl.2
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-3-30 19:05
I have both a Galaxy S5 and a S7edge.  They both crash constantly but amazingly enough the S5 is the worst.  I realize that there are some that have had good luck with the S5, but I'm not one of them.  The last advice from DJI has been to send the aircraft and remote in for evaluation.  While it certainly could be a hardware issue, I find this somewhat of a stretch.  Personally I wouldn't purchase any Android device specifically for use with DJI GO4 until they get the app sorted out as using a recommended device is no guarantee that it will work.

WTH, I figured all the negative reviews were a result of the meager selection of android devices that were recommended by DJI out of everything that isn't iOS.  If DJI Go 4 doesn't work reliably on anything that isn't fruit, is it even worth risking flight with the Mavic on Android?
2017-3-30
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

Glitch Posted at 2017-3-30 19:11
WTH, I figured all the negative reviews were a result of the meager selection of android devices that were recommended by DJI out of everything that isn't iOS.  If DJI Go 4 doesn't work reliably on anything that isn't fruit, is it even worth risking flight with the Mavic on Android?

I use a Samsung s7 with all the latest firmware and operating system I have no problems with mine
2017-3-30
Use props
Photobug3000
New

United States

I was using my old Samsung Note 3 for the wifi hotspot, and a Sony tablet as my actual viewing device connected to my remote.  If you have a tablet, you might be able to just use your preferred phone just for the wifi source for a normal wifi device.  
2017-3-31
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

I use a S7 on Nougat without issues. I would suggest the following:

-Uninstall DJI apps (ALL OF THEM!) and cleanup their folders
-Install Here We Go (Here Maps) free on the play store as I feel that it fixes map issues
-Connect your remote to the phone prior to start the remote! If the side cable is giving you issues, remove it completely and connect a normal USB cable on the bottom usb port
-Unlock your phone if it's locked.
-Start the remote. It will ask to open DJI Go 4. Make sure the option to remember the setting IS MARKED. This will ensure that your phone always gets connected in the appropiate mode.
-Start your mavic and enjoy.

After that, always connect the remote to the phone and start the remote to trigger the application start. I follow this order all the time and the app never crashed.
2017-3-31
Use props
b0n3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21083 ft
United Kingdom

CuaC Posted at 2017-3-31 03:55
I use a S7 on Nougat without issues. I would suggest the following:

-Uninstall DJI apps (ALL OF THEM!) and cleanup their folders

With the last update I also don't have app crashes.
But now I have an another issue with the freezes, during of the using Intelligent Flight modes multiple times in a row
2017-3-31
Use props
RAMJET-1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2180843 ft
United States

Im using Samsung tab A. Have had problems with Go4 very.4.0.5.  I uninstalled that app, downloaded & installed DJI Go v.3.1.3 at www.apkmirror.Com. Do search for DJI go and all apps are available for download. No issues with very.3.1.3.
2017-3-31
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

Using S6 Edge +. Only had crashes for a certain amount of time until I realized I didn't clear all the residue files from a earlier install of the DJI Go APP. Now is a charm and no issues. Android Marshmallow
2017-3-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glitch Posted at 2017-3-30 19:11

I used a Samsung Galaxy S6 for months and never had an issue, I also have a NVIDIA Shield K1 that works just fine too.
But I feel my iPhone 7 and iPad Mini 3 just seem to work better with the GO4 app.
2017-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules