788 5 2017-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

Hi Pilots !

I am an avid power boat cpt and looking forward to using my P3S on the water videoing my fun on the water but my concern is how my Controller and or P3S will act around my boats electronics like the Boats GPS, CHARTBLOTTER, RADAR, REMOTE STEERING and to some degree the Aluminum Radar Arch ......

Does anyone have any experience with operating their P3S under the above conditions.

Thanks

2017-4-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Aluminium is not a problem.

The problem is MAGNETICS ... and as a boat owner you must be aware of its effects on items and what they call Safe Distance for the boats compass.

The Electronics generally will be no problem.... its the engine and associated steel / iron work that will be.

I will be playing with my P3S on my day funboat ... but she is built in aluminium ... meaning no problems at all.

Nigel
2017-4-9
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Oh, so things like the compass, speakers, OB engine magnetos.. It's a 24ft boat, if I'm 12 ft from the closest magnet, the small compass, any he front of the boat, should be ok, I would guess.... I could charge the bird up and if I get any interface I guess it would be a no go, only way to tell I guess
2017-4-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Yep ... until you try - you never know !

Nigel
2017-4-9
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

No problemo.  I'd turn the radar off and if you have an internal wifi setup (like a Lowrance GoFree), I'd shut that down - although I usually forget to do that.
You might get interference from the engine electronics if you have a smaller boat and an outboard with the electronics sitting two feet away from your drone.  I have two recommendations from a lot of experinence:  If the app starts to complain don't take off - figure out what the issue is.  Often moving a foot or two will help.  Be VERY conservative with your battery.  Even if you practice landing extensively (recommended - you need to be able to land the P3 where YOU want to.  I hand catch exclusively and work so I can just stand there and not move and bring the P3 to me) you have to be able to deal with swells, boat drifting and birds.  I have started my landing sequence at 50% and been within minutes of an autoland because some wind and birds.

Go slow, practice, practice, practice.
2017-4-9
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks, will start practising and will set the warning at min 50%.
2017-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules