2174 6 2017-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ljtham
New
Flight distance : 15128 ft
Australia

Hi there,

Flew my Mavic for just the third time the other day... and after the latest update, I lost control of the Mavic and started to move away from me on its own.  I wasn't able to control the forward motion but was somehow able to land it safely (and avoided people) but landed on a beach.  

Just after that the gimbal failed and have now found there is sand inside the Mavic (when turning it or moving it - you can hear sand inside).

Afriad to open the drone to clean it... also scared to turn it on to test it.

What is the best thing to do from here?

2017-4-14
Use props
Tedscastle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 210 ft
United States

I used an air compressor without taking anything apart.
2017-4-14
Use props
ljtham
New
Australia

Thank-you.  Use it thru the air vents?
2017-4-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

What is the best thing to do from here?

Have it repaired. You mentioned a gimbal failure, but that would be the least of my concerns. If sand also got into one or more motors -- and there's a good chance that it did -- then you could have a mid-flight failure with serious consequences.

If you bought Care Refresh then you should be able to use that to get it repaired (or more likely replaced), but in any case I wouldn't be flying it again as is.
2017-4-15
Use props
Tedscastle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 210 ft
United States

ljtham Posted at 2017-4-14 20:02
Thank-you.  Use it thru the air vents?

My situation was sand inside the motors of a Phantom.  I would still try the compressor or a can of compressed air.  Just be careful not to be too aggressive.  If using a compressor, you might want to turn the pressure down.  
2017-4-15
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

It sounds like you have more of an issue here rather than just sand. If it wasn't user error causing the loss of control then combined with the Gimbal issues, it's time to let DJI repair/replace the Mavic.
2017-4-15
Use props
ljtham
New
Australia

Thank-you everyone.  Really appreciate this.
2017-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules