Camera and gimbal got wet
3814 7 2015-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mdprejean
lvl.2

United States

i was flying phantom 2+ in the snow this morning and my copter landed in a shallow puddle and the gimbal and camera got wet for 5-10 seconds. The camera works but I can't rotate it up and down and it beeps continuously. I am also getting a note to remove the gimbal lock. Should I just let it dry out completely or is there something else I need to be doing?
2015-3-5
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

There are some posts around that talk about rinsing it with distilled water (some say followed by rinsing with rubbing alcohol, but I'm not sure about that one), then putting the device in white, uncooked rice for a few days.  I saw this for the whole copter, but would assume the same would apply for just the gimbal.

I think rinsing it gets out any extra muck, like dirt particles, and using distilled water prevents any kind of residue that could mess with circuits.

I would also use a blow dryer set on low heat or cool, and low power to help dry it out before putting in uncooked white rice.  Somebody has mentioned in a one of my posts that using cans of air can cause some static discharge that can mess things up (don't remember why, but I won't be trying it anytime soon to be safe).

Good luck!
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

according to wingnut (who had his phantom sitting out in the elements including rain and snow for nearly two full weeks), he used the rice treatment and found success but i think he took stuff apart so not sure if that would apply for you or not:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... ;page=2&lang=en
2015-3-5
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

First thing if you get your electronics wet is remove power and do NOT power up till all is dried out thoroughly.
A desiccant like dry rice is good or just as noted in warm dry air or apply a heat by a incandescent light etc.

I have recouped customer electronics (P2) that sat in the Ohio river for a month!!  Not everthing - ESC were fried and main board. - but just about everything else.
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

joe, can you elaborate on the incandescent light a bit more?
2015-3-5
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

I sometimes use a incandescent lamp with a reflector pointed at the unit to heat up the parts.  60 watts is more than enough.  Just check to make sure it does not get too hot.  If it is warm to the touch after 10 -20 minutes good.  If it is hot move it away a bit.
2015-3-5
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

joe@heliflightc Posted at 2015-3-6 06:36
I sometimes use a incandescent lamp with a reflector pointed at the unit to heat up the parts.  60 w ...

DANG IT!! I knew my blow torch was overkill!
2015-3-5
Use props
mdprejean
lvl.2

United States

The blow torch was a nice touch. Camera and gimbal dry now. Very dry.
2015-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules