Mavic Pro footage in ROCKY MOUNTAINS
1622 13 2017-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bcjkdem1
lvl.4
United States

All of this video was shot on the Mavic Pro...

2017-5-9
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Really nice job! Beautiful countryside...
2017-5-9
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

Nice video well done
2017-5-9
Use props
Sun Diego
lvl.2
United States

Very nice thank you. From Colorado Springs. What part was this shot in?
2017-5-9
Use props
bcjkdem1
lvl.4
United States

Sun Diego Posted at 2017-5-9 15:34
Very nice thank you. From Colorado Springs. What part was this shot in?

Thank you all very much! Greatly appreciated!

Sun Diego - This was all shot straight west from Longmont, where I was staying for a day. The town scenes where Lyons... Wish I had some more time to get some different locations (particularly down by you), but that countryside was a great spot! Beautiful state!
2017-5-9
Use props
Igor42
lvl.2
Russia

В начале ролика , уровень белого хромает!
2017-5-9
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

WOW!! Looks amazing.    What settings were you using?
2017-5-10
Use props
Superbaso
lvl.3
  • >>>
Switzerland

fantastic color! I love Colorado!
2017-5-10
Use props
bcjkdem1
lvl.4
United States

gibbd Posted at 2017-5-10 01:09
WOW!! Looks amazing.    What settings were you using?

Thank you all very much!
gibbd - What settings were you wondering about? I'd be more than happy to list what ever you are looking for.
2017-5-10
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

bcjkdem1 Posted at 2017-5-10 04:40
Thank you all very much!
gibbd - What settings were you wondering about? I'd be more than happy to list what ever you are looking for.

Sorry, should have  clarified.

I was referring to camera settings....   and any post filming edits etc.

Thanks
2017-5-10
Use props
bcjkdem1
lvl.4
United States

gibbd Posted at 2017-5-10 05:22
Sorry, should have  clarified.

I was referring to camera settings....   and any post filming edits etc.

No problem!

Make sure you use ND filters! I have done the same shots with and without them, and the ones without are always blown out in the highlights (because you need to use a slower shutter speed (see below), and have no aperture control) and unusable. You will want to use a high enough of a filter to be able to keep your shutter speed at 1/60 (if you are shooting in 30 fps, like I am), while not underexposing the image.

For camera settings:
4k / 30 fps. 1/60 shutter. (You can also try 4k / 24 fps, 1/50 shutter.)
Make sure to take white balance out of auto (as it will auto-switch within a shot, and ruin it) and set either to sunny if it's sunny, cloudy if it's cloudy. Or, you can set manually to somewhere between 5000-5400, like I do.
I shoot in D-Cine-like, but D-Log will work too (just does not preserve as much of the color). The other modes way over saturate the image, imo.
Set a custom color style and make everything -2, expect for sharpness, which I set to +1 (the jury is still out as to if it's better to go +1 or -1 on this. I would experiment, and see what results you get).

In post, I cut all of the clips I wanted to use, and organized them in the order I wanted. I then chose a song and cut those clips to match the down beats of the song.
Then, I desaturated every image, even further, as well as turned down the vibrancy. Added contrast, along with some blacks and whites. I also used the Premiere de-haze effect all clips, as I feel it works well with these landscape shots... I used the highlights and shadows effect on a some of the sunset clips to separate the sky from ground to pull out more details (and would have used it on all to get rid of the noise in the shadows, but was getting really bad flickering on some clips (known Premiere issue)). I added a little warmth in the day scenes for the white balance, and a little red tint in the sunrise/sunset scenes (be sure not to overdo this (common mistake I see)).

There was a lot of fine tuning with the individual clips, as I shot at all different times of the day/with and without snow. There is not a certain LUT, or post settings that will work well with every single clip in this situation, so you need to just take your time and go through each clip/scene and fine tune the above settings.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I missed something, or if you have any other questions.
2017-5-10
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

bcjkdem1 Posted at 2017-5-10 06:24
No problem!

Make sure you use ND filters! I have done the same shots with and without them, and the ones without are always blown out in the highlights (because you need to use a slower shutter speed (see below), and have no aperture control) and unusable. You will want to use a high enough of a filter to be able to keep your shutter speed at 1/60 (if you are shooting in 30 fps, like I am), while not underexposing the image.

WOW!!!   Extremely comprehensive.  Thank you very much.

I am still yet to purchase ND filters   ( I like to do far too much research and then end up putting things off for months) but that defo seems like a must.   Any recommendations?  I had looked at the polarpro's (cinema series that can be left on) but do I go for all 6, or is one set adequate ?

In terms of post filming enhancements.... im only using iMovie, so I may be a little restricted at the moment, but if the setting on the drone are in the right area then I have a hope in hell of picking up some good shots.  

Thanks for taking the time to detail what you did/settings in so much depth
2017-5-10
Use props
Avi8tor0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88301 ft
  • >>>
United States

Love it. Beautiful scenery.
2017-5-11
Use props
bcjkdem1
lvl.4
United States

gibbd Posted at 2017-5-10 23:04
WOW!!!   Extremely comprehensive.  Thank you very much.

I am still yet to purchase ND filters   ( I like to do far too much research and then end up putting things off for months) but that defo seems like a must.   Any recommendations?  I had looked at the polarpro's (cinema series that can be left on) but do I go for all 6, or is one set adequate ?

Avi8tor0 - Thank you!

gibbd - No Problem! I enjoy teaching.

That's a funny question, because I currently only have 4/8/16/32 NDs, without polarization, but am going to pick up the a ND16/PL and a ND32/PL (polarized) as well, because I think they will help keep the sun under control a bit more.  So, I wish I could give you my opinion on the polarized ones, but can't just yet. I will say that currently I use the ND32 in any kind of sunny weather, but I'm hoping the ND16 with polarization will be able to keep up in full blown sun, but will have to test it first. I would try the full set and return it and buy just the standard ND set if I see that the polarization doesn't help much.

As far as post, I just used Premiere Elements, that I picked up on sale for $70. It's missing some features that full blown Premiere has, but the de-haze effect and adjustments it offers is worth it in my opinion. It's really incredible how much of a difference you get with JUST the de-haze... All of my post experience comes from photography, so I'm still learning video as well. But having that and general camera knowledge really went a long way in editing these drone videos.
2017-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules