Phantom Shoots straight up when taking off
3018 22 2015-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
billsf76
New

United States

So I crashed my phantom today and when I went to set it down, start the props and take off, it just shot right up in the air. I mean this thing got some serious height. I would say about 1,000 feet. I could not stop the ascent. I turned off the controller and that seemed to work. It stopped ascending. Turned it back on and brought the phantom back down though it took a while. Checked everything using the DJI app and all looks to be well. Tried to take off (indoors with a soft ceiling) and it did it again. Shot straight up. One of the arms was slightly bent in the initial crash but barely noticeable. I ordered a new shell but I'm curious as to what may be causing the phantom to just shoot straight up when I use the controller to ascend. I'm only goving it a slight nudge but it just shoots straight up. Any advice on what to look at would be great. Thanks!
2015-3-7
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Sorry billsf76...I have no clue though I have heard this a couple of times recently...
I would hard reset everything and dump the birds brains!.... (there is a procedure on here some somewhere and certainly on the wiki)..then do a complete reload and checke all settings, IMU etc..
Good luck and let us know how it goes..
2015-3-7
Use props
billsf76
New

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-8 10:42
Sorry billsf76...I have no clue though I have heard this a couple of times recently...
I would hard  ...

Thanks! I'll search that out and let you know how it goes.
2015-3-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Hard reset of the Phantom

2015-3-7
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Thanks Gerry
2015-3-7
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

bill, are you saying that you crashed it before this happened and then when you went to take off on your next flight is when it shot up without warning?  depending upon how bad the crash was, i would think something internal like the gps or something else hardware could be damaged in some way from the crash.  hard resetting and such certainly wont hurt and is probably a good idea here, but if that doesnt fix the problem i would suspect some kind of damage.
2015-3-7
Use props
billsf76
New

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-8 10:52
bill, are you saying that you crashed it before this happened and then when you went to take off on  ...

gnixon - there was a crash prior to this. One of the arms were slightly bent but just barely. I think I may have done some internal damage. I'm going to try the hard reset and hope that does the trick.

Thanks everyone!
2015-3-7
Use props
billsf76
New

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-8 10:44
Hard reset of the Phantom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7sg_7FmZ4g

Thanks Gerry
2015-3-7
Use props
billsf76
New

United States

So I did the hard reset, put on new props and it seems to be responding as it should. When I go to give it lift it's incremental based on my input as it was before. Don't know which fixed the issue but so long as it is fixed! Whew!!!

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!
I linked a few videos I made here. Yes there is a previous crash in this video. It was a light crash into some bushes. This most recent crash was hard and it fell a good 15ft. That speaks to the durability of this product I guess

2015-3-7
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Glad to hear...now go fly it like you stole it!And no more flying indoors either
2015-3-7
Use props
billsf76
New

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-8 11:20
Glad to hear...now go fly it like you stole it!And no more flying indoors either

lol no more indoors def. I just did that to be safe so I wouldn't have a fly away and lose it.
2015-3-7
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1226368 ft
United Kingdom

I would llike to have seen the video where it went a 1000ft up, do you have it ?
2015-3-8
Use props
billsf76
New

United States

crash1sttime Posted at 2015-3-8 20:31
I would llike to have seen the video where it went a 1000ft up, do you have it ?

Sadly I don't. On the initial crash I broke the walkera gimbal I had
2015-3-8
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

After every crash you have to Plug it to the PC and check it. Also look inside for loose cables. Always calibrate the IMU after a crash as well. I guess some sensors freaked out in the naza. When you bump the phantom to the ground it will go crazy from time to time, ive seen this in many videos before. There is also the possibility of a stuck sensor and it will show up in the software, dont remember the error code. The solution was to beat the naza ok tab it stronger describes it better.
2015-3-8
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-3-9 10:18
After every crash you have to Plug it to the PC and check it. Also look inside for loose cables. Alw ...

Is this what you are talking about?

2015-3-8
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-3-9 10:18
After every crash you have to Plug it to the PC and check it. Also look inside for loose cables. Alw ...

if, after a crash, it hovers on a dime and performs flawlessly on 2 or 3 consecutive flights, is plugging it into the pc to check things an absolute necessity?  just asking because this happened to me and i didnt plug it in after.
2015-3-8
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-9 11:59
if, after a crash, it hovers on a dime and performs flawlessly on 2 or 3 consecutive flights, is p ...

gnixon,
Nothing is mandatory per se, I cart wheeled mine off the side of my house on my first flight and on my second flight, well it wasn't much prettier. I pluged mine into my PC just for peace of mind and everything was A-OK and I have been flying it like I stole it ever since with 45 and maybe nearer 50 flights on it now...and OMG. can this thing hover...I was at a pretty good altitude for 3-4 min yesterday and it just stayed still...loving it!
2015-3-8
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

ok, thanks.  i crashed mine today.  

wind was pretty high, had no prop guards, but i was moving forward (about 30ft off the ground) over a few small trees.  i was moving WITH THE WIND and i was moving about 10mph i would guess the wind was 5-7mph.  i yawed too fast while moving and with the wind profile, i lost lift.  it wasnt really 'vrs' per se but had the same affect.  the lost lift caused me to suddenly lose like 10-15 ft and i landed in the tree.  i immediately upon tree impact CSC'd and it toppled out of the tree and hit the ground (fell from about 15 ft).  the only damage was my compass casing popped open a bit but i pinched it back together fine.  

after that i checked it all out and it flew fine.  brought it home and ran another 2 batteries in it.  flew like it did out of the box.  i just updated and calibrated everything yesterday so didnt really want to do it all again.  so was curious.  thanks.

got it all on film so i can easily point out a 'yaw induced crash' for us the next time it comes up in a thread LOL
2015-3-8
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Sweet and thanks for the update, at least you gave it a check up from the neck up before you launched it again!
2015-3-8
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

yes, i looked over it thoroughly, but ill admit, after i landed and was driving home, i realized that i had not really inspected for 'hairline cracks' on the arms or around motors.  since no props stalled (i CSC'd faster than someone blocking when being kicked in the nuts), i wasnt worried about motors or escs.  after i got home i did a much more thorough inspection and all looked great.  the two flights on my street were flat out flawless, so unless somehting could be 'looming' and about to happen later to me, i think im all set.

also, in watching the video, i realized that my thumb screws for my rotorpixel gimbal must be a turn or two too tight b/c i had some jello effect although only minor.  

just glad i didnt really mess it up.  that's three close calls for me (not counting the fingers) so im all out of luck.  guess it is diligence FTW going forward.   
2015-3-8
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-9 10:21
Is this what you are talking about?

Yes, in the early phantom days this was done by Mr. Colin Guinn :p
I wouldnt do it like it in the video, i would tab on the flight Controller with the handle of a screwdrive but not to hard. If this dont work than remove the flight controller from the board like in the video and try it again. I remember a guy opened up the flightcontroller and removed something from inside, i think it looked like foam and put it in again and the error code was gone. Well in some cases nothing will work. Error 25 Phantoms will act crazy and this is caused after a crash or very hard landing. Its like you can repair it the same way as it is triggered, because of a knock.

I would plug it to the computer, i mean it takes only 5 minutes. On the other hand i always do this and i always calibrate the IMU. Im not even sure if you can start the motors with an error 25.
2015-3-8
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-3-9 12:51
Yes, in the early phantom days this was done by Mr. Colin Guinn :p
I wouldnt do it like it in the ...

I've never had to do it.  I would also not recommend doing it that way.
2015-3-8
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-9 12:38
yes, i looked over it thoroughly, but ill admit, after i landed and was driving home, i realized tha ...

With reflexes like that (finger problem aside) you might be a candidate as a goalie for a few NHL teams trying to make the playoffs...glad to hear the Phantom is o.k, happy flying...
2015-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules