Is my Phantom 3 Pro defective? Always have errors...
1072 12 2017-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ghettoracer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1214482 ft
United States

I picked up the P3 Pro in April while in SoCal.  I lucked out and bought it new in sealed box off Craigslist for $450 (dude said he got 2 for xmas from his divorced older parents who no longer speak to each other)...  although I think it might be a refurb unit (how can I tell for sure?) because there was like some finger prints on the drone case itself near one of the motor.  The drone was unregistered so I was the first operator of it.  Prior to this I started with a used Phantom 3 Standard in Nov. 2016 and I still have it.  Then I upgraded to a used Phantom 3 Adv. in Feb. 2017.  I was having lots of fun with it until a careless friend crashed it in April 2017...  it is repairable since it was a relativel low height crash (about 15 feet in the air).  I bought the parts for repair but haven't got to it...  in the mean time I bought this Pro to continue flying.

With my P3S and P3A I've never experienced remote controller error before, but with this P3P the RC frequently gives errror - power on, and it stays red and beeps.  Often time I have to power cycle it 3-4 times before it is okay.  Seems like a self diagnostic errror of some sort.  Also, the drone itself, the compass frequently gives internal error and I'd have to power cycle the drone a handful of times before it works.

Yesterday I also experienced my first drone fly-away...  I was testing the carbon fiber props so I was doing some speed runs (trying to compare top speed) but suddenly the drone was flying out of control by itself...  luckily after hitting the return home button the 2nd time it seems to act normal and came back home.  But it was doing weird things for about a minute.  Very scrary to have no control.

Summary: there hasn't been a day where either the RC gives error or the drone giving compass error.  My P3S and P3A are both error free compare to the P3P which is why I think it is defective.  Should I send it in for evaluation?!  Reading some of the customer service stories makes me think twice about sending it in though...  Thoughts?
2017-5-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It's nice that you explained everything so clearly. Why the RC is acting up is beyond me.
But for the drones compass errors, have you already done a good IMU and compass calibration?

RedHotPoker
2017-5-24
Use props
ghettoracer
lvl.2
United States

Around early June I updated the firmware of the remote control and the drone.  Also did a IMU and compass calibration.  Things seem to a a bit more stable after that.  Yesterday I decided to look the flight log of my drone fly away experience on May 23rd, 2017.  The data is pretty strange.  Is anyone official at DJI interested in looking at the log and explain to me what the heck happened?  Here are some  facts:

- I'm a new drone pilot since Dec. 2016 but I've got 140+ flights and over 27 hours and only experienced fly away this one time...  I have a mini fleet Phantom 3 drones - P3 Standard, Adv. and Pro.  The fly away was on the P3P.
- I started with solid 12 GPS signals before taking off, but only 33% battery - this pack was 61%, just did like 5 minute flight with stock DJI props, did a short flight then switch to aftermarket CF 9450 props I just wanted to do a quick speed run back to back on same path to see if I can gather data on speed difference between stock vs. CF (if any).  I wasn't worried about the relatively low battery pack.  I frequently fly down to 10-15% reserve.  Always keeping the drone very close and visible when the battery is at 25% or lower of course.
- strangely, the GPS data for the first 57 second is completely wrong/missing/corrupted despite starting with solid signals.  this should be of interest to DJI.  i literally had no control of the drone for about 20-30 seconds (sure felt longer...  I serioursly thought I was going to lose my drone, and I had relatively low battery level too).- I flew at a Lake Merced which is South of San Francisco and it is fairly open with no large metal structures near where I was.
- at one point in the first minute it shows 16 GPS signal with full bars but yet displays "Weak GPS signal" with no GPS coordinates recorded?!
- after about a minute or so it switched to atti mode by itself.  but it seems to fly away full speed, not drifting away because of atti mode.  around this time it also said compass error.
- around 1:12 it responded to the RTH and the drone seem to stabilize and came back.

This image shows the flight with stock props.  As you can see I flew it in the direction of South East...  Topped out at 38.0 mph on this day/flight...

This is the flight away log and initially I flew it in the same direction towards South East.   Not sure why the GPS was not registered 25+ seconds.

2017-7-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ghettoracer Posted at 2017-7-10 00:20
Around early June I updated the firmware of the remote control and the drone.  Also did a IMU and compass calibration.  Things seem to a a bit more stable after that.  Yesterday I decided to look the flight log of my drone fly away experience on May 23rd, 2017.  The data is pretty strange.  Is anyone official at DJI interested in looking at the log and explain to me what the heck happened?  Here are some  facts:

- I'm a new drone pilot since Dec. 2016 but I've got 140+ flights and over 27 hours and only experienced fly away this one time...  I have a mini fleet Phantom 3 drones - P3 Standard, Adv. and Pro.  The fly away was on the P3P.

" Is anyone official at DJI interested in looking at the log and explain to me what the heck happened? "

You won't get anything from DJI people but I'll have a look for you.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and I'll let you know what I can see there.

ps ... don't go flying with a 33% battery - that's very risky.
2017-7-10
Use props
ghettoracer
lvl.2
United States

Strange...  the log looks different when I view it on my Android pad which the flight path looks accurate now.  On my iPhone 5S it wasn't able to display it correctly.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/UV79QPGUP71YPE0LA4OD/

Here is the log upload hopefully I'm doing this right.  From 13 second into the flight compass error occurs, then continous yaw error to 45 second, then more compass error.  Now the I recall from memory it was the yaw error that made the flight terrifying because it wasn't responding to my inputs correctly, then after that it started to flight away by itself.  when it stop going towards South East direction it had a mind of its own.  I had no control of the drone until it finally responded to RTH at around 1:07 - so almost a full minute of no drone control.  Freaked me out LOL.
2017-7-10
Use props
ghettoracer
lvl.2
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/YCGJU6O5TOA9TV9WELXN/

FWIW, I also uploaded the log of the flight just before the fly away flight here for comparison...
2017-7-10
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Are you sure you are comparing the same flight logs?  There seem to be a lot of errors.  I'd re-calibrate everything in a nice flat metal-free non-magnetic environment.  You could also try relinking the Pro to your controller for the Advanced.  That way you can rule out a problem in the controller.  They are the same.

That is the problem buying a second hand unit from someone with a good story, they might be offloading it because it is damaged and problematic, and are just telling you a bunch of lies to make a sale.
2017-7-10
Use props
ghettoracer
lvl.2
United States

endotherm Posted at 2017-7-10 10:14
Are you sure you are comparing the same flight logs?  There seem to be a lot of errors.  I'd re-calibrate everything in a nice flat metal-free non-magnetic environment.  You could also try relinking the Pro to your controller for the Advanced.  That way you can rule out a problem in the controller.  They are the same.

That is the problem buying a second hand unit from someone with a good story, they might be offloading it because it is damaged and problematic, and are just telling you a bunch of lies to make a sale.

I am absolutely positive it's the same log.  Just this one fly away that was super sketching, otherwise it seems fine now.  Over 14 hours of flight time, 675+k feet, 70+ flights accumulated on the P3P.  Like I said lots of remote control error and compass error early on, then after firmware update seems a lot better.
Since this drone was unregistered with DJI I assume it was not flown before me right?  I mean to fly the drone the previous owner would have had to register it with DJI?  Everything looked brand new at the time, box was sealed too.  Just a tiny faint black finger print on the drone case I guess it might've been from the factory.  The drone look and smelled like a new unit as well...
2017-7-10
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

ghettoracer Posted at 2017-7-10 10:18
I am absolutely positive it's the same log.  Just this one fly away that was super sketching, otherwise it seems fine now.  Over 14 hours of flight time, 675+k feet, 70+ flights accumulated on the P3P.  Like I said lots of remote control error and compass error early on, then after firmware update seems a lot better.  I dunno!

It was responding to your control inputs, whenever you pushed up, it went up, when you commanded a turn it turned.  It may not have been accurate or as expected but it did follow the stick commands.  I notice whenever you had errors showing up, the aircraft switched to ATTI, which is normal behaviour.  In ATTI, it will handle like a wet sponge, and appear to be going off on its own.  It will get blown off course with the slightest breeze because it does not have a solid accurate GPS/compass lock.  It's not a fly away, it's just not locked tightly to a GPS coordinate.  It's good ol' manual flyin'!
2017-7-10
Use props
ghettoracer
lvl.2
United States

I guess my question is with good solid 12+ GPS lock at the beginning of the flight why did it go into ATTI mode just seconds into the flight?  Is it because of the compass error?  Also what are the causes of yaw error and what exactly does that mean?  If you look at the playback the first ~22 seconds I was heading towards South East on the lake and I'm pretty sure I was (trying to) flight straight ahead but according to the log I was flying sideways at 45 degree angle looking right.  I wasn't doing that I was trying to replicate the path and orientation of the previous flight pointing and looking straight ahead South East on the lake...

This makes me wonder if I made a video recording of the flight.  I'll look into my sdcard and video archives later tonight to see.
2017-7-10
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

ghettoracer Posted at 2017-7-10 11:58
I guess my question is with good solid 12+ GPS lock at the beginning of the flight why did it go into ATTI mode just seconds into the flight?  Is it because of the compass error?  Also what are the causes of yaw error and what exactly does that mean?  If you look at the playback the first ~22 seconds I was heading towards South East on the lake and I'm pretty sure I was (trying to) flight straight ahead but according to the log I was flying sideways at 45 degree angle looking right.  I wasn't doing that I was trying to replicate the path and orientation of the previous flight pointing and looking straight ahead South East on the lake...

[view_image]

There are lots of error messages contained in the software.  It is hard to know why lots of them appear from time to time.  As best I can tell most of these errors appear when the system can't make sense of the data it is receiving.  There are many systems that need to report data and interpret it, then send it to a central brain and have that unit make sense out of it.  Errors can and will occur many times per second, and need to be taken care of.

Consider the GPS sub-system.  It could be reading a dozen or more satellites at any one time.  They all aren't going to agree with each other.  Sometimes a satellite has to be ignored for a short time or altogether if it is unreliable.  The data from each is going to be different and doesn't exactly line up each time.  There could be signal reflections or obstructions, weather and rain for the signal to penetrate, which affects the timing of the signal and causes error.  The GPS system has to apply error correcting algorithms to work out what to keep, what to throw away, decide whether to take an average or just rely on the majority concensus of good satellites etc.  There is lots of comparing, calculating, decisions on what to keep etc.  In the end, a single lat/lon coordinate is the result.  Many errors are discarded and ignored.  That's just ONE sub-system.  This data has to agree with data coming from all the other systems -- compass, accelerometer, barometer...  Later aircraft like the P4 have additional redundant systems in order to reduce errors, and have better confidence in the data etc, and hopefully successfully eliminate these errors.

At times, the systems can't decide which data is correct because it is in conflict with other data which appears to be correct and is corroborated by other data.  That is when it will throw up an error message.  Often the numbers you are looking at in the log is correct and sufficiently accurate to perhaps locate a crashed aircraft, to within 20 feet or so.  But that level of accuracy is insufficient to hold the aircraft steady if you are flying under a bridge or next to a steel tower etc. I think people panic far too much when they see these error messages, especially if it is flown in the open away from buildings/trees and other obstacles.  Whenever I see errors, I know that the data currently isn't accurate and I keep an eye on it until conditions change, but I know it isn't just going to burst into flames and crash or fly away for no reason.  If I am close to an obstacle, I know there is a danger of a collision because the coordinates aren't very accurate.

What are the error messages?  A compass error means the compass data doesn't agree with the GPS data and the accelerometer and barometric data.  Don't rely on the compass heading to be accurate to 0.1° like it might normally be.  It's approximate direction will be good enough though -- if it was facing north before, you can be pretty sure it's still facing north, not spinning wildly like you are flying through the Bermuda Triangle.  A yaw error is similar, it can't calculate the direction it is facing from the small x/y/z turns the aircraft is making every few milliseconds and reported by the accelerometer, that doesn't agree with the data coming from the GPS and compass sub-systems.  The other systems might be reporting accurate data, but it is being degraded by bad data from one source.  We can assume the resultant data isn't highly accurate and dependable, but it is still in the ball park.

These errors come and go all the time, and it is up to the values set in the firmware to determine whether you are alerted to them or not.  I think they have become more frequent in recent releases which suggests the tolerance for error has been reduced.  Higher accuracy is usually a good thing, but it seems to lead to more error messages being produced (perhaps unnecessarily) and a lot of pilots getting nervous.  The same error was always there, it is just that you are being alerted to them more frequently.

Why do they occur at all?  If you do something silly like take off from the roof of your car, or from concrete that has steel reinforcement in it, or you decided to do a compass calibration/IMU calibration whilst wearing your watch or with a pocket full of coins or while handling your phone, it can corrupt the settings.  It's a bit like using a digital kitchen scale -- if you zero or reset the weight and you forget to put the bowl on it first, the readings will be all out of whack.  They should all still be relative though and perhaps still slightly useful, but they are inaccurate.  If you "zero" your aircraft in a bad location with magnetic properties like steel being present, your aircraft will happily report everything is fine in that environment, but when you leave the area and go somewhere there isn't interference, errors will occur and be reported.  Sort of the reverse of what you expected--you haven't flown into a magnetic interference environment, but you have left one and told the aircraft that that was "normal".

What happened in your case?  I'd suspect for whatever reason you had a bad calibration or your aircraft was affected by parking it on a magnetic field or whatever.  You initially took off and everything reported fine.  However when you flew away from that environment everything started reporting bad data and the sensors couldn't agree on who was right.  We can see on the flight log everything was still functioning and recording stick movements, headings, altitudes etc.    The data may have been a few feet out or a few degrees off true, but it was relatively accurate.

When your aircraft decided that GPS was not to be trusted, it changed mode to ATTI and notified you to take manual control and fly it manually, no longer relying on the GPS to hold position.  When it does this, you are at the mercy of external influences like the wind.  It can take you away from your position very fast making it look like a fly-away at high speed, having a mind of its own etc.  It's not, it's just being blown away.  This can be very confusing especially if you have not practiced flying ATTI before.  It just goes to show you what a sophisticated job the GPS system is doing to hold it still and steady when you are flying normally.  You miss it when it is gone.

Once again, I looked at your logs and it reported accurate records of what you were inputting and how it was reacting.  It also recorded the direction you were facing.  The only thing it doesn't show is the wind speed and direction, although sometimes that can be derived with some clever math based on the speed/direction of the aircraft and its tilt.

In your case, if we look at 13 seconds into the flight, we see compass and yaw errors being reported.The aircraft switches to ATTI.  You were facing 146° before and after the errors occur, which is perfectly correct.  There was mainly forward propulsion from you recorded, no sideways movements of the sticks apart from small short bursts and small rotations.  The compass heading showed the compass orientation changed due to the (left stick) rotations, and the aircraft faced that new direction.  However you still had in your mind that pushing right stick forward would produce forward movement on a heading of 146°.  Instead what you saw was the aircraft moving in a different direction of about 60° and not facing that new direction.  You didn't fly it appropriately as you should in ATTI, countering the unwanted direction, to make it go in the direction you wanted.  You should have had a LOT more manual right stick right input.  If you had been in GPS mode, that right stick right input would have been fed to the motors invisibly without your intervention and it would have remained on course.  Looking at the pitch and roll of the airframe, we can see it tilt when it changed to ATTI mode, as well as when you tilted the body by moving sideways or back or forward.  We conclude that the aircraft was responding correctly to your stick inputs and it did have some course influence (just not as much as you expected).  The big conclusion is that there was a strong wind at altitude that came from the SW, pushing your aircraft SE.   The wind might not have been apparent--sometimes the air on the ground can be quite still and it can be quite turbulent a few feet above.  As it is invisible, you often don't know.  You also wouldn't have known because the GPS normally counters any wind and takes the effect away.  However in this instance, ATTI mode made it obvious.  The fact that you were reporting 38mph shows that you had wind assistance at the time, as it is faster than the aircraft can produce by itself.

Later in the flight you decided to RTH.  For whatever reason the flight systems behaved.  The aircraft responded to the RTH command.   RTH relies on having a reliable GPS signal to navigate back home.  You had this and it came back to you under control as you expected.  This would tend to indicate the problem wasn't permanent, and with no further errors reported on the leg home, it shows the systems were capable of operating accurately once reliable sensor data returned.

I bet if you take the aircraft somewhere else and do a proper recalibration following all precautions and requirements, you will find the aircraft behaves perfectly and reliably.  It is frustrating when things like this happen and it is hard to identify why things went wrong.  I recall examining a flight from the forum where a perfectly calibrated and functioning aircraft flew close into a harbour where there were a number of large boats docked and concluded the maritime radar from the vessels upset the air navigation systems.  This is a possibility in your flight, but unlikely.

sheet.png
Looking at the data we can see (green arrows) that your left stick side to side movements were rotating the aircraft (yaw) as they should.  We can also see (red arrows) full right stick forward resulted in a large nose-down pitch, as expected.  The flight log shows the correct data for all of your movements, except where you haven't allowed for the wind and flown differently for ATTI mode flight.  You should have pretty much been leaning full right stick right for the whole SE leg of the flight.

2017-7-11
Use props
ghettoracer
lvl.2
United States

Thank you so much for the detailed and thoughtful explanation.  It makes a lot of sense.  You're right I've done minimal flying with ATTI mode and when I do it's usually in very close proximity.  When it's few hundred feet away and in the sky without any objects for a visual reference I find it hard to tell what the drone is doing when looking at it visually...  I guess I better practice more in ATTI mode and get a better feel for it.

With tail wind I've had my P3P up to 49 mph!!  Previous best was usually 42-43 mph.  Normally it's around 30-35 mph...
2017-7-12
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

ghettoracer Posted at 2017-7-12 02:09
Thank you so much for the detailed and thoughtful explanation.  It makes a lot of sense.  You're right I've done minimal flying with ATTI mode and when I do it's usually in very close proximity.  When it's few hundred feet away and in the sky without any objects for a visual reference I find it hard to tell what the drone is doing when looking at it visually...  I guess I better practice more in ATTI mode and get a better feel for it.

With tail wind I've had my P3P up to 49 mph!!  Previous best was usually 42-43 mph.  Normally it's around 30-35 mph...

No worries.  I left out the what should you do when it switches to ATTI and starts doing something unexpected? section.  It's a good chance the unexpected "fly away" (blown away really)  is due to wind.  Change altitude, usually lower where it is calmer, or land as soon as possible, especially if you don't have a lot of ATTI flying experience.  You can then safely re-assess your flight controls and configuration, and determine if the calibration was affected.  That way it isn't taken in some unexpected direction and out of range, and ultimately lost.
2017-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules