Mavic fell into water
10739 11 2017-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse49eace4
New
Canada

Hi All
My Mavic Pro just went into a fresh water lake.  Luckily I had floats on it.
I turned the power off and removed the battery instantly.
I drained as much of the water out and put the gimble bracket back on.  
I have Refresh. Warranty, thanks Apple Store for the suggestion.

What shouldI do with it and what is the process?
Do I need to contact Apple Store or DJI directly?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Michael
2017-6-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

How / why did it wind up in the water? Specifically, was it due to pilot error (i.e., your fault) or was it caused by some kind of malfunction?

Open a case with DJI, let them know that you experienced a crash due, and indicate whether you think it was your fault or a malfunction. They'll have you send in the aircraft and battery and, assuming that they determine this was caused by pilot error, you'll get an invoice for a Care Refresh replacement, and after you pay the invoice they'll send your replacement to you. On the other hand, if they determine that it went into the water due to a malfunction they'll provide you replacement for free.
2017-6-3
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Dry it out!  It will take several days, but dry it out completely, fire it up and see.  Many have hit the water and been fished back out and returned to service without doing anything special.  You may have to do an IMU and/or gimbal calibration, but you may be lucky like so many others on the forum.  If not, use your purchased protection.
2017-6-3
Use props
IceCold
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-6-3 16:44
How / why did it wind up in the water? Specifically, was it due to pilot error (i.e., your fault) or was it caused by some kind of malfunction?

Open a case with DJI, let them know that you experienced a crash due, and indicate whether you think it was your fault or a malfunction. They'll have you send in the aircraft and battery and, assuming that they determine this was caused by pilot error, you'll get an invoice for a Care Refresh replacement, and after you pay the invoice they'll send your replacement to you. On the other hand, if they determine that it went into the water due to a malfunction they'll provide you replacement for free.

Sounds like he Deliberately was trying to Land on water, He had "Floats" on it. But Sounds like the floats did not work or a small wave got the drone even a fresh water lake will have small waves cause by wind.

2017-6-3
Use props
fanse49eace4
New
Canada

Thanks Drone Flying and AGON -Gary for your reply
2017-6-3
Use props
fanse49eace4
New
Canada

No I was actually landing on a dock but got to close to the edge when landing and it tipped over.  Thank fully the floats were on and it wasn't too deep.
2017-6-3
Use props
AndyP.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3738274 ft
  • >>>
United States

just stick it in a bag of rice, wait about a week to be sure. then fire it up like a post before me said ^^^^
2017-6-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We feel sorry about the accident. We don't suggest to continue to fly the drone because the drone which has fell into water may have many potential problems and threat.
For the safe flight, you are suggested to send the drone to DJI Service center to make comprehensive inspection and data analysis, if it is malfunction, we will repair or replace it without any cost in warranty.
2017-6-4
Use props
fansec505614
New

Sweden

I crashed my drone into the water. I will send him to DJI Service center. Do i need to send joystick too? Thanks
2018-5-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fansec505614 Posted at 2018-5-9 05:18
I crashed my drone into the water. I will send him to DJI Service center. Do i need to send joystick too? Thanks

You should first contact support raise a case they will give you a list of what you need to send.
2018-5-9
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10355532 ft
Canada

before purchasing my MP I studied a lot of utube videos, you might have a look at this lad on utube "Simon Says"  his MP ended up in a ditch filled with water and he only found it the next day, placed it in a bag filled with rice then after a week I think, flew it again, that would be up to you to make that decision, as for myself it would be off to DJI for inspection.
2018-5-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Even after the water has been dried out internal corrosion will more than likely have started. The drone may start up OK and show no immediate errors then you'll be flying in a month or so and bang - major malfunction and crash! The drone is not waterproof and even flying in a light rain is not recommended by DJI.
I'd ship it back asap and remove those stupid floats on the next one as A) They obviously didn't work and B) they probably caused the VPS to malfunction which led to the situation you are in now.
2018-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules