Mavic Jumpy video when turning
1566 16 2017-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1992a8c0
lvl.1
United States

Hello all,

I received my Mavic a few months ago and have been playing around with shooting some video.  I noticed that when turning in a circle every few frames the video jumps, like a frame is missing.  Is there a problem with my drone?  I have recalibrated the gimbal multiple times.  Used different SD cards.  Its still happening.  Any suggestions?

2017-6-10
Use props
fans8f60fcd9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425246 ft
United Kingdom

can you post a video as an example?
2017-6-10
Use props
MavicE
lvl.1
United States

This is what all my videos look like when turning
2017-6-20
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

So that shot is one of the most challenging tasks you can ask of the Mavic. Firstly, you have to move really slowly or you'll pan faster than your framerate can capture, secondly, it's really hard to move a long pan slowly and steadily. Try changing your res to 1080p and shoot at 96fps or even 60fps and see how much smoother the faster frame rate gets you.  
2017-6-20
Use props
MavicE
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-20 19:48
So that shot is one of the most challenging tasks you can ask of the Mavic. Firstly, you have to move really slowly or you'll pan faster than your framerate can capture, secondly, it's really hard to move a long pan slowly and steadily. Try changing your res to 1080p and shoot at 96fps or even 60fps and see how much smoother the faster frame rate gets you.

thats what I was wondering.  Is this a problem or just a limitation.  I have seen several videos where panning looks much smoother was want sure if this was because they cut the parts out where the video studded.  why doesn't this happen when you move left / right / front / back?
2017-6-21
Use props
MavicE
lvl.1
United States

Sorry for all the typos.  Hit post before I edited my last reply

That’s what I was wondering.  Is this a problem or just a limitation?  I have seen several videos where panning looks much smoother, wasn’t sure if this was because they cut the parts out where the video skipped.  Why doesn't this happen when you move left / right / front / back?

2017-6-21
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

I checked your footage in firefox, I get frames that jump, but i know Chrome will play it smooth and yes, i checked and it was butter smooth.

Only 2 thing i noticed: props create a little bit a flicker and the shutter is getting adjusted that cause also flicker, which is normal, but there is nothing jumpy.

I think it is your pc that cannot handle the playback. What kind of PC do you have? I can tell you, there are not framedrops at all in your uploaded video.
2017-6-21
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

it also looked to me very smooth. Like you had used an ND filter and properly adjusted your shutter speed.
2017-6-21
Use props
MavicE
lvl.1
United States

I have played the footage directly from the Mavic copied locally to a few different MacBook Pros.  Playback is using Quicktime and VLC  macOS Sierra 15" 2013 2.3 i7 16GB of ram 1TB SSD.  NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
2017-6-21
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

MavicE Posted at 2017-6-21 10:04
Sorry for all the typos.  Hit post before I edited my last reply

That’s what I was wondering.  Is this a problem or just a limitation?  I have seen several videos where panning looks much smoother, wasn’t sure if this was because they cut the parts out where the video skipped.  Why doesn't this happen when you move left / right / front / back?

Why doesn't this happen when you move left / right / front / back?

Not quite sure what you mean, here.
2017-6-21
Use props
MavicE
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-21 11:47

I only see this happen when panning let to right.  Video is smooth in every other direction.  
2017-6-23
Use props
MavicE
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-21 11:47

I only see this happen when panning let to right.  Video is smooth in every other direction.  
2017-6-23
Use props
MavicE
lvl.1
United States

I played the same videos on a Mac Pro and it was much smoother.  I guess my GFX card can't handle the playback in 4K
2017-6-23
Use props
MavicE
lvl.1
United States

you can see it better in this video

2017-6-23
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

I have same issue, left/right skips even on the app preview, and same when watching footage back, I've posted re it also
2017-6-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

MavicE Posted at 2017-6-23 11:00

I think it's because compressing video movement in a straight line is an easier task than compressing video in an arcing line.

2017-6-23
Use props
MavicE
lvl.1
United States

I did some more tests and it looks like its jumping moving in every direction.  I decided to send it in for service. Hope it doesn't take to long.  
2017-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules