1294 12 2017-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LXF
New
Flight distance : 16886 ft
United States

Hi guys,
I see a lot of questions about this topic but then most threads are hijacked or derailed.
The warning that your flight experience will be limited seems to cause a lot of confusion.
Mayabe its just the wording.

What does logged into your DJI account mean?
I assume it does not mean that you need to be online (internetconnection). Can DJI pls. be more precise here?
Commomn sense tells me that this cannot be the case - no nice fottage from skiing or lonely beaches would be the result.

Thanks for clearifying.

2017-6-11
Use props
Acciaro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139085 ft
Latvia

I have an Android phone dedicated only for Mavic flights (so no SIM card - no internet, only WiFi).
After updating DJI GO app I was promted to login into my account. That was only once. After that I am flying without internet.
As i understand, your DJI GO app needs to be "activated" once by connecting it to your account.
2017-6-11
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

how many more times do i have to share this video explaining this, there are no restrictions ;) please watch and digest ;)  
2017-6-12
Use props
LXF
New
United States

Acciaro Posted at 2017-6-11 23:44
I have an Android phone dedicated only for Mavic flights (so no SIM card - no internet, only WiFi).
After updating DJI GO app I was promted to login into my account. That was only once. After that I am flying without internet.
As i understand, your DJI GO app needs to be "activated" once by connecting it to your account.

Which makes totally sense.
That s what I meant with "common sense".

But I am still not sure about the woding.
"if you start flying without first connecting to a DJI- compatible aa ad logging into your DJI account"
does read wrong to me - even as a non natve Englih speaker.
I am not picky but "once"  seems the better wording.
2017-6-12
Use props
LXF
New
United States

bomberuk Posted at 2017-6-12 00:13
how many more times do i have to share this video explaining this, there are no restrictions ;) please watch and digest ;)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Z2SughGIM

Great video bomberuk.
I had no doubt about all that.
Now that I have a native speeker hooked - would you agree with the strange wording?
See my posing as a hint to DJI to change that in the future to avoid that confusion.
Greeings to the UK.
2017-6-12
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

LXF Posted at 2017-6-12 00:58
Great video bomberuk.
Now that I have a native speeker hooked - would you agree with the strange wording?

yes i definatly blame dji for the poor explaination of this it could have been explained a lot better, it had to take this guy from wales to explain it in great detail like it should have been, by the way i recomend subscribing to his youtube channel ;)
2017-6-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

" lost in translation" comes to mind, especially when translating from Chinese to English.
2017-6-12
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Acciaro Posted at 2017-6-11 23:44

Same  configuration and same experience here!
2017-6-12
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

BomberUK it does not matter how many times you post that video, the simple fact is restrictions are in place for a lot of us regardless of your particular experiences.

You can no longer fly outside of a DJI set Geo-fence unless a cell phone or tablet is plugged into the RC, this is a restriction.

You may not need internet access in your area, but for alot of us who live near FAA designated NFZ and DJI imposed imaginary warning zones  we cannot take off until we establish and internet connection. This may not effect you in the UK but for alot of us this is a new restriction.  If thats not simple enough, last week I could fly at my house, 2 miles from a school. Now I cannot without requesting clearance. In my world thats a new restriction. Period

How are these not restrictions over the last update????

2017-6-12
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

LXF Posted at 2017-6-12 00:58
Great video bomberuk.

100% agree- DJI's wording is very poor.  Their wording actually gives it new meaning (or it is ambiguous).  I find it shocking that they have this poor quality control. They do have a US office with personnel working in the US...why don't they run their wording through people based in the US as obviously their translators in China are not catching these issues.  I shouldn't assume...maybe it is their "English" folks that don't have technical writing competence .  

Seems also that their programming of firmware contains numerous syntax errors as well...so maybe these errors are systematic...

THE BIGGER QUESTION IS : Why the restriction in the first place?  Are we better operators when we are logged in?  OR...does DJI keep a record of our flight data (e.g. GPS) so that if someone crashes and the Mavic is not identifiable then the authorities can obtain the owner's info from simply contacting DJI (or sharing a database with them)?  I suspect a more nefarious reason such as this...It is much easier for a manufacturer to enforce a 'registration' system versus a regulatory body - look at how successful the FAA was (not!).  So it would seem that DJI is providing a backdoor for regulation/enforcement, and by doing this winning favor with governments.  I don't like where this is heading...
2017-6-12
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

I work for a Japanese company and quite frequently things get lost in translation. So I take all of the comments/release notes from DJI very loosely as I expect there is also some clarity lost in the translation here as well....
2017-6-12
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

Just good ole common sense.
2017-6-12
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sorry but product information translation is NO excuse,  DJI export  their products at least 60% more than sell to their own market,  there are alledged headquarters in Europe and USA,   THEY should ensure the wording/instruction IS CORRECT.    These headquarters are either totally unknowledgable of the actual products they sell ! ( Scarey,  very worrying and in this market unacceptable )  or they are just too damn lazy,   so DJI worldwide,  get off your asses and start sorting some of this.     it would take incredibly little,  to write a locked forum thread/sticky with clear explanations or instructions for changes.  locked so that they only write their own stuff,  we the customers can then easily start separate threads to discuss.

COME ON DJI ! !  Wake up to your markets needs !  
2017-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules