What's wrong with my video ?
1498 33 2017-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Losing the will with this now, All on normal, auto,  took filters off and it's just shocking, why is the mavic default video so bad ?
It's reduced for youtube, but even the 2.7k playing on pc has muddy trees, poor focus and is never really clear like I see others posting...

Do I have a camera issue ? Been trying to get some improved footage but no matter what I try it just comes off with bad clarity even though I focus before hitting record.

Anyone have any tips, because I've tried ND's, LUTs and I'm beginning to think this camera has a fault.....

Here is a quick test on auto, normal, +1/-1/-1 surely this dull video on everything isn't standard for this craft ? But everything I film appears like this, no matter what I try

2017-7-10
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Do a factory reset and try again!
2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

dronist Posted at 2017-7-10 10:42
Do a factory reset and try again!

It's really strange though, the images/photos I take while flying are better than the vid..., the image preview thumbnails in the flight log are clear/sharper than the actual photo files, I'm baffled so yeah a reset might be a good thing, have you known it fix this sort of thing before ?
2017-7-10
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-10 10:52
It's really strange though, the images/photos I take while flying are better than the vid..., the image preview thumbnails in the flight log are clear/sharper than the actual photo files, I'm baffled so yeah a reset might be a good thing, have you known it fix this sort of thing before ?

If your pictures are good then apply the same settings to your videos. Each has their own settings. always make sure you tap to focus and see if the app is taking the command.

Resetting is usually the last resort before sending the unit to DJI.
2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

dronist Posted at 2017-7-10 11:04
If your pictures are good then apply the same settings to your videos. Each has their own settings. always make sure you tap to focus and see if the app is taking the command.

Resetting is usually the last resort before sending the unit to DJI.

This is what I'm struggling with, photos appear pretty good, but same settings on vid show much different results, so it's a fight at the moment to get any decent , consistent vids...

See example pic below, video is never anything like this etc

IMG_0611.PNG
2017-7-10
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-10 11:38
This is what I'm struggling with, photos appear pretty good, but same settings on vid show much different results, so it's a fight at the moment to get any decent , consistent vids...

Wowww, really nice!

Can you take picture of your settings in the app. Also what version are you on?
2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

dronist Posted at 2017-7-10 11:49
Wowww, really nice!

I've just downgraded to 800 and back to 900, assistant 2 wouldn't let me restore to defaults just kept saying failed.....so I bet my settings will all be wiped ? If not I'll screenshot no probs and thanks for the advice so far
2017-7-10
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Camera reset all the way. Please reset the camera reset in the settings area. Also, make sure that you have the latest in firmware set up. Have you ever added any filters in the mix?
2017-7-10
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-10 12:00
I've just downgraded to 800 and back to 900, assistant 2 wouldn't let me restore to defaults just kept saying failed.....so I bet my settings will all be wiped ? If not I'll screenshot no probs and thanks for the advice so far

You are welcome! As Mark said, do a full reset and let us know.
2017-7-10
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Did you try tapping the screen on a distant object to adjust the focus?
2017-7-10
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Is this from your phone/tablet or did you down scale the video to 720p?  I ask as the video playback is limited to 720p.  
2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-7-10 12:04
Camera reset all the way. Please reset the camera reset in the settings area. Also, make sure that you have the latest in firmware set up. Have you ever added any filters in the mix?

Thanks mark ive reset camera a few times but not really made any diff, I had the latest firmware .900, I've just downgraded to 800 and gone back to 900 using assistant 2, I couldn't do factory reset as it just said failed so had to do downgrade, then upgrade etc
Yes when I bought it I noticed it was bad but I put it down to bright light and wrong settings etc
I bought vivid polar pro nd+pl to bring shutter down to 60 etc, I've tried dlog and LUTs, but it's never like some guys post in here....

That vid above I removed polar pro, did a gimble calibrate, put everything to stock/auto and went out to see if it was better, photo was good but video not so good....

2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-7-10 12:25
Did you try tapping the screen on a distant object to adjust the focus?

Always before I hit the record button, like I always hit home point even if it tells me it's recorded, the active track around the tree I had clicked on the tree prior to recording and starting the rotate etc
2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-7-10 12:27
Is this from your phone/tablet or did you down scale the video to 720p?  I ask as the video playback is limited to 720p.

This is for my iPad yes, but the video off the SD is not any better to be honest, for 2.7k it should be crisp, color good, but not so for me unfortunately.
2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Wowww, really nice!

App is the latest pal, I'll try upload some setting pics soon but it's got a 1mb limit and I have to reduce screenshots to upload them here
2017-7-10
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

As someone else said above, make sure you try focusing to infinity, by aiming the center of the screen on a far away object, and either using center focus, or tap to focus. Your video just looks out of focus to me. Also, it is only in 720p. see if you post something in 2.7/4k and it will be easier to diagnose.
2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Bill Drones Posted at 2017-7-10 13:57
As someone else said above, make sure you try focusing to infinity, by aiming the center of the screen on a far away object. Your video jsut looks out of focus to me. Also, it is only in 720p. see if you post something in 2.7/4k and it will be easier to diagnose.

If I hit center to focus anymore I think my screen will break pal,   I always press to focus due to it not looking like it is etc...

I have my C1 set to center focus and I hit that also when needed but I just cannot get what other guys post in terms of clarity/focus, if high it seems ok, but not everywhere I need to go high...

I've checked I'm not zoomed in by accident etc and every setting I can think of, watched loads of YouTube vids, tried grading, tried LUTs, bought software, but if my stock output is not correct I have no chance in my limited post skills etc, so I'm trying to get the best default I can, but struggling.
2017-7-10
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-10 14:09
If I hit center to focus anymore I think my screen will break pal,   I always press to focus due to it not looking like it is etc...

I have my C1 set to center focus and I hit that also when needed but I just cannot get what other guys post in terms of clarity/focus, if high it seems ok, but not everywhere I need to go high...

Please post other examples then. From this one video, it looks like it is completely out of focus. That would not be any better if you were to just go higher, without making any other adjustments.

Also, try setting your sharpness to +1 in the custom style settings and see if that helps. Post processing can help with overall sharpness, but it should still look in focus, straight out of the camera.
2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Bill Drones Posted at 2017-7-10 14:16
Please post other examples then. From this one video, it looks like it is completely out of focus. That would not be any better if you were to just go higher, without making any other adjustments.

Also, try setting your sharpness to +1 in the custom style settings and see if that helps. Post processing can help with overall sharpness, but it should still look in focus, straight out of the camera.

above was at +1 /0/0
i'll upload some short clips direct off the SD card, ive also just opened the DNG in adobe and put it at auto correct for all and you can see the + & -'s that were out if that helps

EDITEDimage.JPG
2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

added these 2 small clips direct off SD card to youtube, not touched them, these are what is recorded etc
no filters, +1/0/0 set to cloudy

2017-7-10
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-10 14:25
above was at +1 /0/0
i'll upload some short clips direct off the SD card, ive also just opened the DNG in adobe and put it at auto correct for all and you can see the + & -'s that were out if that helps

While flying, when you tap or center focus on something far in the distance, does your view screen look in focus, or is that out of focus as well?
Nothing in the image you posted above shows what would make it out of focus... I would X out the post processing as part of the problem, till you get it in focus and sharp looking out of the camera... If you can't get that on your view screen, no matter the distance you are focusing at, it may be a problem with the camera.
2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Bill Drones Posted at 2017-7-10 14:34
While flying, when you tap or center focus on something far in the distance, does your view screen look in focus, or is that out of focus as well?
Nothing in the image you posted above shows what would make it out of focus... I would X out the post processing as part of the problem, till you get it in focus and sharp looking out of the camera... If you can't get that on your view screen, no matter the distance you are focusing at, it may be a problem with the camera.

yeah pal i see it kind of push in/out, i have had it a month and ive been battling with getting results for a long time, only posted here re it now as i'm at a loss as to how i can get it like others that post, i look at theirs and i'm like wow and i look at mine and its not good for 2.7K, i see others have brilliant clarity, but mine always seems just not right etc
2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

you see the difference ? look at mine and then look at this guys just posted, miles apart etc

2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

well.............i just came across another forum post showing nearly the exact issue that i have, and also i'm in NTSC as I wanted 30fps, it seems there is a problem, and when you switch to Pal it resets & is told to be better ?
see here http://forum.dji.com/thread-84156-1-1.html (7 pages discussing it !!) I will be certainly trying this out, the images on that post show that a record in NTSC and the same in Pal have a different result, so I'm going to switch to Pal tonight and do a test again...

2017-7-11
Use props
tecel8
lvl.1
Germany

Hi,

I cant see the point. The footage looks ok and decent to me, sometimes even a little over sharpened. The comparison vid you posted is way oversharpened and looks partly like hdr style. If this is what you desire you can do this easily in post production with your footage. Also you can not compare footage made on a sunny day with your footage in cloudy conditions. To create a special look you have to know what camera settings you choose and what you do in post with Resolve or Premiere. Setting the cam on all auto - well...

regards
2017-7-11
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

tecel8 Posted at 2017-7-11 07:15
Hi,

I cant see the point. The footage looks ok and decent to me, sometimes even a little over sharpened. The comparison vid you posted is way oversharpened and looks partly like hdr style. If this is what you desire you can do this easily in post production with your footage. Also you can not compare footage made on a sunny day with your footage in cloudy conditions. To create a special look you have to know what camera settings you choose and what you do in post with Resolve or Premiere. Setting the cam on all auto - well...

i ideally dont want to be using loads of post, i'm trying to get something half ok to be able to play on TV /share with family etc, but everything looks dim, not focused and not great etc

I have today reset to Pal and i have also noticed that sunny (puts like a red shade onto the camera) and cloudy doesn't do much, i then tried AWB and my video on screen was nearest to what i was looking at.

so i'm going to give it a go on Pal with +1:0:0 AWB, Normal or Truecolour style, if its bright i may have to put an ND on but i'll see how it goes...
2017-7-11
Use props
tecel8
lvl.1
Germany

When you switch from Pal to ntsc you switch from the 25/50fps space to 30/60fps. That has to do with your technical enviroment, not so much with the look of your footage. With ND filters you aim at the dof and not at the brightness of your footage. I would start with adding contrast, adding saturation and hue and maybe unsharp masking (adding sharpness). Record in the higest possible resolution and afterwards render out in 1080p. You might want to play a little with the curves as well ;-)
2017-7-12
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Wowww, really nice!

Short 4K  test tonight testing in dlog with a slight adjust in the go4 app before uploading as 720 from the app......Pal I can defo see a difference with, but I may have to retry ntsc as I like the 30fps as I find it a bit jerky on 24 with my noob skills....what you think ?

2017-7-12
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

and then Lut applied, I think its getting better ?

2017-7-12
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-10 11:38

The problem with this picture is that the flowers up close are in focus and distant flowers are not.  Which would be the same with your video, where distant items are out of focus.  Did you stop video and try a still pic at altitude and distance?  

Sunflowers really look cool.  

I fly with the C1 C2 buttons on center focus and center exposure.  So I can clik them if necessary.  However I also fly with the little green box and tap to focus.  Sometimes it takes a couple of taps and you should see it snap into focus.  If not you are out of focus.

Hope you get it worked out.
2017-7-12
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-7-12 12:04
The problem with this picture is that the flowers up close are in focus and distant flowers are not.  Which would be the same with your video, where distant items are out of focus.  Did you stop video and try a still pic at altitude and distance?  

Sunflowers really look cool.  

thanks bill, appreciated

ive switched to dlog and PAL and I notice a massive different in the SD file output (see above) so i'm going to stick with that for a while as i'm finally getting to look at the video and be happier
2017-7-12
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-12 09:28
Short 4K  test tonight testing in dlog with a slight adjust in the go4 app before uploading as 720 from the app......Pal I can defo see a difference with, but I may have to retry ntsc as I like the 30fps as I find it a bit jerky on 24 with my noob skills....what you think ?
https://youtu.be/caQdjtx5XeU

They look better now they look more focused now, but I think your movies are still little bit overexposed and it showed in the clouds.

What values are you using for the ISO/Shutter/EV, White balance etc.?

I suggest click on AUTO then click on manual and adjust your setting to match what you prefer.
Also enable the Over Exposure Warning until you get better with the process.
2017-7-12
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

dronist Posted at 2017-7-12 15:40
They look better now they look more focused now, but I think your movies are still little bit overexposed and it showed in the clouds.

What values are you using for the ISO/Shutter/EV, White balance etc.?

hey dronist, iso was 100, shutter was 50 (as 24fps) ev i had at 0.0 or thereabouts, white balance auto

the ND i used on the first was 8/PL as advised by the polar pro app, but I noticed without filter it was changing between 540-1000 on the shutter so app was either 8 or 16 so i should of used a 16 by the looks of it.
2017-7-12
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

Take your white balance off auto and go to manual ... use the histogram function so you get a constant feed back on what is happening to your under/over exposure, try keeping the little mountain close to the centre of the histogram, it's actually quite easy to do with a little practice. I tend to go off this great little feature more than what I am seeing on the phone or tablet screen (whichever I use on the day).
2017-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules