Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Battery stuck in Firmware Upgrade mode, now overdischarged...
8543 17 2017-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EpicLPer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80272 ft
Austria

So my Mavic failed to update today and now one of my batteries is stuck in an upgrade mode...
The middle 2 lights light up and occasionally go out and come back on. Normal shutdown (press, release, press hold) and holding the power button for over 5 minutes does exactly nothing, only turns off the lights after about a minute but they come on again after you release the button.

I've tried draining the battery with the USB powerbank adapter I got in my fly more combo but that stopped working after 2-3 hours of constant phone and tablet charing... Any ideas now?

2017-1-14
Use props
Arc Sevenfold
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6539 ft
United States

I think if you hold down the button for 30 seconds or so it'll reset. If not it may be a defective battery. Will it charge back up to attempt it?
2017-1-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello EpicLPer, please put the battery to the aircraft then do the update again.
2017-1-15
Use props
EpicLPer
lvl.2
Austria

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-15 00:40
Hello EpicLPer, please put the battery to the aircraft then do the update again.

Not possible anymore, I've upgraded the drone with another battery already. When I put the "bugged" battery into the drone now it reads 0% and can't read any stats from it while it's in this state.
2017-1-15
Use props
EpicLPer
lvl.2
Austria

No help yet?
2017-1-15
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Really interested to hear How to reset a mavic battery?  i have seen another end up like this with a previously working battery,  do a firmware upgrade then one of the 3 batteries in the flymore pack fails to an unrecoverable state,   please DJI  can you explain to us,  how to do this Battery reset or battery recovery
2017-1-15
Use props
EpicLPer
lvl.2
Austria

Okay, the thing I was already afraid of just happened...

While the output of the battery seems to be protected by an overdischarge circuit inside the battery, the actual charge controller and/or firmware-upgradeable unit seems not to be... The LEDs on my battery started to get dimmer, especially the lower one. When I press the button now you can definitely see how both LEDs also get a lot dimmer, as soon as I let it go again they'll get brighter.

This means the battery is now in a state where it's going to damage itself due to overdischarge... I'll send it in for repair to DJI as I'm definitely not feeling safe anymore to fly with such a damaged battery... What if it'd cut out mid flight? I'm not going to take the risk.
PLEASE DJI, try to implement an "emergency shutoff" feature (if even possible due to hardware) even if the battery is in a firmware upgrade state. That'd prevent such a thing from happening hopefully.

2017-1-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

EpicLPer Posted at 2017-1-15 22:40

While the output of the battery seems to be protected by an overdischarge circuit inside the battery, the actual charge controller and/or firmware-upgradeable unit seems not to be... The LEDs on my battery started to get dimmer, especially the lower one. When I press the button now you can definitely see how both LEDs also get a lot dimmer, as soon as I let it go again they'll get brighter.

What do you mean it reads 0%? Do you mean battery percentage?
Please try to charge the battery first. The LED lights might not flash like normal.
Charge it for about half an hour then put it to the aircraft and do the update again.
If still no help, please send it in for further evaluation.
2017-1-16
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

EpicLPer Posted at 2017-1-15 22:40

I am quite sure that I have seen exactly the same issue in this forum about 3-4 weeks ago.
Edit: Here you go Mavic Pro Battery Problems
2017-1-16
Use props
CC8877
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51093 ft
Italy

I had the same issue. Opened an RMA and DJI support sent me a new one.
2017-1-16
Use props
EpicLPer
lvl.2
Austria

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-16 00:00
What do you mean it reads 0%? Do you mean battery percentage?
Please try to charge the battery first. The LED lights might not flash like normal.
Charge it for about half an hour than put it to the aircraft and do the update again.

The charging hub shows a red light indicating it can't charge it which makes sense since the battery is still turned on. Since there's no indication light on the actual charger (not the hub) I can't tell what it's doing there but I guess the same thing.

I'll try but if not I'll just RMA it. Sucks that it went stuck like this
2017-1-16
Use props
EpicLPer
lvl.2
Austria

Dronoob Posted at 2017-1-16 00:05
I am quite sure that I have seen exactly the same issue in this forum about 3-4 weeks ago.
Edit: Here you go Mavic Pro Battery Problems

Interesting yet weird... None of my batteries seem to need a FW update... I tried plugging all the batteries I had (before the error happened) into the Mavic, fully closing the app, shutting down the remote and of course my Mavic, put another battery in and start everything up. But no update notification comes on... Weird.
2017-1-16
Use props
TommyJeep
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50423 ft
  • >>>
United States

EpicLPer Posted at 2017-1-16 04:40
Interesting yet weird... None of my batteries seem to need a FW update... I tried plugging all the batteries I had (before the error happened) into the Mavic, fully closing the app, shutting down the remote and of course my Mavic, put another battery in and start everything up. But no update notification comes on... Weird.

Last night I tried updating the firmware on my batteries and none of them needed it either.  When I received my Mavic last week, it required an update.  I figured the battery I had on it at the time was updated and the rest still needed it, but I guess not.  My experience with my Inspire is that each battery needs to be updated, but perhaps Mavic is different, or perhaps the battery firmware didn't change with the last aircraft firmware update.

I do wish under "About" in the GO app it would indicate the battery firmware version.
2017-1-16
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Hi, I had the same issue and successfully solved here. I hope it helps...

Good luck.
2017-1-16
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Czechia

EpicLPer Posted at 2017-1-16 04:40

You have to upgrade the FW with each battery (so with Fly-more combo it means 3× upgrade the same FW) did you do this in the same way?

Concerning the Hang issue - I also tried to discharge the batt like you did... no help. Finally - the only thing what the battery needed was to be charged (full percentage), so if you didnt try yet, put it into the charger for couple of hours (ignore the blinking LEDs), than put it again into Mavic, connect the RC and the phone, restart the app and try to upgrade the FW again... hopefully it finishes successfully this time)

I also have read somewhere on this forum, that the uninstall and re-install of the app in the mobile phone helped (clean the cache and download the FW again since the FW file in the cache memory of the phone might be corrupted)...
So good luck.

2017-1-16
Use props
EpicLPer
lvl.2
Austria

Willik Posted at 2017-1-16 10:20
You have to upgrade the FW with each battery (so with Fly-more combo it means 3× upgrade the same FW) did you do this in the same way?

Concerning the Hang issue - I also tried to discharge the batt like you did... no help. Finally - the only thing what the battery needed was to be charged (full percentage), so if you didnt try yet, put it into the charger for couple of hours (ignore the blinking LEDs), than put it again into Mavic, connect the RC and the phone, restart the app and try to upgrade the FW again... hopefully it finishes successfully this time)

I tried to charge it but my charger refuses to do so. I don't see an increase of Watts with a power meter when I plug the charger into it so it isn't even charging or trying to.
When I use the charge hub it just throws me a red LED. The battery is completely dead by now, not even the LEDs come up anymore or blink.

I'll probably send it back nontheless, I have no idea if all this didn't damage the cells in some way.
2017-1-17
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Czechia

EpicLPer Posted at 2017-1-17 13:01
I tried to charge it but my charger refuses to do so. I don't see an increase of Watts with a power meter when I plug the charger into it so it isn't even charging or trying to.
When I use the charge hub it just throws me a red LED. The battery is completely dead by now, not even the LEDs come up anymore or blink.

Hi,
Sad about your problems.
I didnt use the hub. Just connected directly and let for 2 hours to charge. Than put into mavic and re-tried the FW upgraded.
My case was soolvd not sure about yours...
2017-1-18
Use props
fansb9172fb4
New
Flight distance : 50338 ft
United States

I THINK THE BATTERY AND MAVIK IS OVER HEATING DURING DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL!
2017-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules