One Tough Drone-No cracks in this Phantom
1546 34 2017-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8cf0d029
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

I keep reading about others having problems with cracks in their Phantoms.  I have flown mine into a tree after which it powered its way to the ground all with no cracks.  Then yesterday, I did a power dive from 250 feet, upside down, into the ground.  Still no cracks!  I did break three propellers and knock the kimbal mount around a little but the camera still works and the drone still flies perfectly.  All again with no cracks!  I am truly amazed at the quality of these drones.  For mine to have been punished the way it has been and to still fly is awesome.  I am in the process of returning it to DJI to get the gimbal mount repaired but still no cracks.  It will be interesting to see how long it takes DJI to do the repairs and return my drone to me.

WA5TEF
2017-1-22
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

were you doing a durability test !  
2017-1-22
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

They are tough... but I guess you don't believe in NOT DRINKING AND FLYING  

Or is there story behind the upside down acrobatic flying... do tell us...  

Protect animal population. Spayed or Neutered? and License your Pet!
2017-1-22
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-1-22 14:29

You can read it here, sure is putting it to the test!  HaHa

Upside down
2017-1-22
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Stinky711 Posted at 2017-1-22 15:31
You can read it here, sure is putting it to the test!  HaHa

Upside down

Thx Stinky...but still, I don't think it's a   ...

But I bet it is and Early St Patty Celebration  

Protect animal population. Spayed or Neutered? and License your Pet!
2017-1-22
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Really want to hear how you got inverted !
2017-1-22
Use props
fans8cf0d029
lvl.3
United States

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-1-22 14:29

HA!!!  Yeah, I wish I had been trying to do that.  It sure surprised me to see that thing coming down like a meteor.  Funny thing, in trying to halt the descent, I applied more power which only made it worse.  I really am surprised it was not demolished.  I bet DJI would like to have seen that and I wish I had not turned off the video camera just prior to bring it down.  I am still hoping to recover the flight log to see what it shows but as of tonight, it is flying again and the camera gimbal working most of the time.  Thanks again for your comments.
WA5TEF
2017-1-22
Use props
fans8cf0d029
lvl.3
United States

JW5255 Posted at 2017-1-22 15:43
Really want to hear how you got inverted !

Hey JW5255!  The only way I can see how it got flipped upside down was from the descent.  I started bring it down fast after I made the picture from 417 feet and the prop wash must have been pretty severe up there. I would guess that it was so bad that it caused the Phantom to roll over and head down under power, even though it was idle speed.  AND, when I saw it falling fast, I applied more power to slow it down, not knowing that was exactly the wrong thing to do.  I could do nothing but watch as it hit the ground with a thud and bounce.  The thing is so tough, it was still powered up, lights working, etc.  Had I tried it on the spot, I am sure it would have restarted the motors and attempted to fly until it sensed the props messed up.  It hit so hard that the camera gimbal mount hit the bottom of the mount denting it.  Nothing internal was damaged.  After I installed new props and tried it out, it flew fine.  Only problem was the gimbal mount not functioning properly.  Tonight, I went through the gimbal calibration and got it working also!  It is an amazing piece of equipment.
Thanks for your comments,
Jim
WA5TEF
2017-1-22
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans8cf0d029 Posted at 2017-1-22 19:44
HA!!!  Yeah, I wish I had been trying to do that.  It sure surprised me to see that thing coming down like a meteor.  Funny thing, in trying to halt the descent, I applied more power which only made it worse.  I really am surprised it was not demolished.  I bet DJI would like to have seen that and I wish I had not turned off the video camera just prior to bring it down.  I am still hoping to recover the flight log to see what it shows but as of tonight, it is flying again and the camera gimbal working most of the time.  Thanks again for your comments.
WA5TEF

OK then...Will let it go at that  
2017-1-22
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

Is the shell on the P4P plastic or light weight metal? I can't wait to get one with the new camera and all. Probably down the road awhile until they get the ordering and bugs (if any) worked out. The camera sounds awesome.
2017-1-24
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United States

Were you trying to break it on purpose? I am surprised at how many people fly their expensive hardware into trees! I see so many, one would have thought people would actually take care of a piece of kit that costs so much. But I suppose if you pay for it, its yours to break hehe.
2017-1-24
Use props
fans8cf0d029
lvl.3
United States

I am just wondering how I can get a DJI employee to respond to my post?  I sure would like to ask a few questions.  Thanks,
2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

fans8cf0d029 Posted at 2017-1-25 20:11
I am just wondering how I can get a DJI employee to respond to my post?  I sure would like to ask a few questions.  Thanks,

Let me help you with that task. ;-)
Someone helpful will be along to assist you..

Had my Phantom 3 Pro' for a couple of years, and still has no shell cracks or fractures. Knock on Brazilian...

RedHotPoker

2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

m1shootr Posted at 2017-1-24 19:05
Is the shell on the P4P plastic or light weight metal? I can't wait to get one with the new camera and all. Probably down the road awhile until they get the ordering and bugs (if any) worked out. The camera sounds awesome.

It's still a type of hard plastic, a metal frame would most likely cause compass issues otherwise.
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Depending on what needs to be replaced, you're looking at a 1-2 week turnaround time
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Were you looking for answers to post #1?
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Phantom is a pretty sturdy aircraft. Once you send the aircraft in, turn around is only 1-2 weeks as Jamie stated.
2017-1-26
Use props
WA5TEF
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-26 06:50
The Phantom is a pretty sturdy aircraft. Once you send the aircraft in, turn around is only 1-2 weeks as Jamie stated.

That's great!  I do appreciate DJI's service and especially the quality of their product.  I look forward to getting it back and in the air again.  I hope I can learn how the craft became inverted so I can prevent that from happening again.

Thanks,
WA5TEF
2017-1-28
Use props
WA5TEF
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-25 21:20
Depending on what needs to be replaced, you're looking at a 1-2 week turnaround time

Thanks Jamie.  Do you know how I can find out why the drone became inverted?  I'd like to know before I fly it again.
Thanks!
Jim
WA5TEF
2017-1-28
Use props
WA5TEF
lvl.3
United States

Thanks everyone.  Numerous posts and I have learned how to find my way around here.  If anyone has any ideas how a drone can become inverted, please let me know.  Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
2017-1-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

WA5TEF Posted at 2017-1-28 16:29
That's great!  I do appreciate DJI's service and especially the quality of their product.  I look forward to getting it back and in the air again.  I hope I can learn how the craft became inverted so I can prevent that from happening again.

Thanks,

No problem at all, you should have it back soon.
2017-1-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

WA5TEF Posted at 2017-1-28 16:30
Thanks Jamie.  Do you know how I can find out why the drone became inverted?  I'd like to know before I fly it again.
Thanks!
Jim

I think the only way the aircraft could be inverted is a CSC or a prop strike or breaking.
2017-1-28
Use props
WA5TEF
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-28 18:28
I think the only way the aircraft could be inverted is a CSC or a prop strike or breaking.

CSC?  Dont understand.
Jim
2017-1-28
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

WA5TEF Posted at 2017-1-28 22:18
CSC?  Dont understand.
Jim

Combination stick command .   The same one you use to arm the motors before flight.
Very unlikely but not impossible.
2017-1-29
Use props
WA5TEF
lvl.3
United States

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-29 01:22
Combination stick command .   The same one you use to arm the motors before flight.
Very unlikely but not impossible.

No, nothing like that happened.  I assume the flight logs will show all stick movements and there should be none.  The drone was up about 400 feet when it started its descent so no tree limbs were in the range to have a prop strike.  I cannot rule out a bird strike as I did not see the drone flip over.  The first I noticed was when it was dropping fast, straight down.   It will reach DJI's repair spot today so maybe they can pull up the logs and see what caused it.  
Thanks for your post,
Jim
WA5TEF
2017-1-29
Use props
WA5TEF
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-28 18:27
No problem at all, you should have it back soon.

Yes, I am anxious to fly it again but I do want to understand how it became inverted!  Will the repair techs review the flight logs on the Phantom 4?  If not a normal action, can it be noted for someone to review these and let me know what it shows?  As I posted earlier, the drone was way up above any trees, at 400 feet, and in fairly calm air.  The only thing I can't rule out is a bird strike as I did not see the drone when it flipped over. The first I saw of the problem was it falling fast.  It was probably at 100 feet when this was observed by me.  
Thanks for your help,
Jim
WA5TEF
2017-1-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

WA5TEF Posted at 2017-1-29 04:48
Yes, I am anxious to fly it again but I do want to understand how it became inverted!  Will the repair techs review the flight logs on the Phantom 4?  If not a normal action, can it be noted for someone to review these and let me know what it shows?  As I posted earlier, the drone was way up above any trees, at 400 feet, and in fairly calm air.  The only thing I can't rule out is a bird strike as I did not see the drone when it flipped over. The first I saw of the problem was it falling fast.  It was probably at 100 feet when this was observed by me.  
Thanks for your help,
Jim

When the unit arrives and is being evaluated by a repair technician, they'll look at the aircraft's flight data to figure out what happened. They'll let you know the results, as it will determine whether or not the incident will be covered under warranty.
2017-1-29
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

You may have had it in sport mode. I have never flown mine in sport mode but I think you can flip it upside down when in sport mode.
2017-1-29
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I assume you mean sport mode and fast quick left right or back forward movements? I have flown mine in sport and it does tilt quite a bit if you give it full throttle and treat it like a racing quad. Can it handle it? I dont know..
2017-1-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

P4P+ Posted at 2017-1-29 18:33
You may have had it in sport mode. I have never flown mine in sport mode but I think you can flip it upside down when in sport mode.

You cannot flip it over in Sport Mode.
2017-1-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

BashP4P+ Posted at 2017-1-29 19:15
I assume you mean sport mode and fast quick left right or back forward movements? I have flown mine in sport and it does tilt quite a bit if you give it full throttle and treat it like a racing quad. Can it handle it? I dont know..

Yes, it can handle it.
2017-1-30
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-30 07:06

Thank you DJI-Ken. So no flipping it in sport mode.
2017-1-30
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-30 07:06

Can having the props on the wrong motors make it flip by itself?
2017-1-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

P4P+ Posted at 2017-1-30 21:22
Thank you DJI-Ken. So no flipping it in sport mode.

That is correct.
2017-1-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

P4P+ Posted at 2017-1-30 21:28
Can having the props on the wrong motors make it flip by itself?

The props cannot be installed on the wrong motors,
2017-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules