Mavic losing connection problem/rant
1666 23 2017-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1fbbbfaf
New
United States

So after hours of trouble shooting my brand new drone and multiple days talking to tech support I have given up all hope. DJI Go 4 app frequently disconnects and no troubleshooting has worked. I have only flown for under an hour and have spent much more time just trying to get the thing to work properly. I am busy with work and 2 kids under 4 so it is very hard to get time to go through all the hoops tech support wants, but I manage to get them done (over several days... like 10 from the date the box was opened). I finally talk to my last costumer service rep and he tells me we need to send it in for repair and that I will be notified once the problem is determine and the amount to fix. I was shocked to learn that I will be charge for the repair (even though it is a faulty product) because I am past the horrible 7 day warrenty.... It took me more then 7 days to trouble shoot the junk drone and now I get charged for a repair? After sitting one hold, waiting for chat responses, updating/downgrading firmware, reformating SD cards, resetting my remote, etc how can anyone accomplish this in under 7 days while still trying to learn just how to properly operate the drone? It looks like my only option is to look for last ditch efforts here since tech support is a joke, then if no resolve, return to amazon and get a brand new replacement. DJI is lucky I am even going for a replacement and not just moving on. This is my first drone and I wanted the best but so far am very damn dissapointed with both support and product. Anyway... Any other suggestions then the obvious fixes that are normally suggested?
2017-5-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I was shocked to learn that I will be charge for the repair (even though it is a faulty product) because I am past the horrible 7 day warrenty

I'm very certain that either the representative you talked to misinformed you or that you misunderstood him or her. The Mavic comes with a 1-year warranty for defects, which this apparently is, and it will be fixed free of charge. There's a steady stream of posts on here about defects out of the box and I can't remember even one where DJI tried to charge a customer who sent back a brand new Mavic for replacement or repair. On the other hand, it's also pretty common for people to be misinformed when they contact customer support, so I'm very sure there's been a miscommunication and that you won't wind up paying to repair a drone that has never worked.

P.S. That 7-day period is for a refund, not for a warranty repair / replacement.
2017-5-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We apologize for your unpleasant experience on Mavic and service. Sorry the support did not make themselves understood clearly.
As mentioned above, 7-day period is for refund. After we receive you unit, we'll assess the damage firstly, if the problem is caused by product malfunction, it will be covered by warranty within warranty period. For details, you can visit here: http://www.dji.com/service/policy
You said DJI GO 4 disconnects frequently, you mean the APP crashes or freezes during flying? may I know what mobile device you use for the drone? You tried other devices, still the same problem?
What troubleshooting you've done so we'll not repeat.
2017-5-12
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

If you have a read through this forum, you will see that there are many users experiencing app crashes, mainly using an android phone. This has nothing to do with the quality of the Mavic.
Are you using an approved phone?
You have to understand that there are hundreds of different android phones and even different versions of the android operating system. On top of that, many people have lots of apps installed on their phones which could interfere with the operation of the DJI GO 4 app. As far as I know, no one has been able to determine what causes the app crashes and there could be many reasons. I was using an android phone with no app crashes but then the phone updated to a later android version and it then started to crash. I changed to a mini ipad, removed all unnecessary apps, and have never had a crash since.
I sympathise with you but the problem is with your phone, not the Mavic.
2017-5-12
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

As Jenee 2 said, provide us with the phone/tablet type, OS, FW, where are flying from, update, calibration you have done, etc.. so we maybe able to help you
2017-5-12
Use props
fans1fbbbfaf
New
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-12 19:24
We apologize for your unpleasant experience on Mavic and service. Sorry the support did not make themselves understood clearly.
As mentioned above, 7-day period is for refund. After we receive you unit, we'll assess the damage firstly, if the problem is caused by product malfunction, it will be covered by warranty within warranty period. For details, you can visit here: http://www.dji.com/service/policy
You said DJI GO 4 disconnects frequently, you mean the APP crashes or freezes during flying? may I know what mobile device you use for the drone? You tried other devices, still the same problem?

I am not sure where the breakdown in communication was, but he definitely told me there would be a charge after seven days. This is the exact conversation.. Me: So you are telling me that I will be charged for repair even if the repair team deems that it is a faulty product? Tech Support: Yes, because you are past the 7 day period. I repeated this comment multiple times, and got the same answer for the guy. I am glad to get verification here that there is indeed a one year warranty (which I assumed until my phone conversation).
Now to the problem. My app does not freeze or crash it simple disconnects mid flight. I still have control through the remote but all app functions are lost. After talking to multiple technicians I have reset my remote, reformatted SD card, went to an older firmware using assistant 2. Nothing works so far. It is time consuming doing this because I can fly great for 15 minutes, or go through a entire battery then mid way through battery 2 I will randomly get the problem. So after each trouble shoot it could take a lot of time to find the problem again. But I can not trust this thing flying far until it is resolved. I am going to delete and reinstall the app today to see if that works. My phone is an iPhone 7 plus and if it is the phone problem and I have to use another device I will be returning the product.
2017-5-13
Use props
fans1fbbbfaf
New
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-12 19:41
If you have a read through this forum, you will see that there are many users experiencing app crashes, mainly using an android phone. This has nothing to do with the quality of the Mavic.
You have to understand that there are hundreds of different android phones and even different versions of the android operating system. On top of that, many people have lots of apps installed on their phones which could interfere with the operation of the DJI GO 4 app. As far as I know, no one has been able to determine what causes the app crashes and there could be many reasons. I was using an android phone with no app crashes but then the phone updated to a later android version and it then started to crash. I changed to a mini ipad, removed all unnecessary apps, and have never had a crash since.

IPhone 7 plus
2017-5-13
Use props
fans1fbbbfaf
New
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-12 19:41

iPhone 7 plus
2017-5-13
Use props
fans1fbbbfaf
New
United States

And honestly, if you spend 1300 on a product and get nothing but troubles, then I think it is safe to say I  can question the quality of the product.. DJI should have worked out the kinks and not blame the other devices. Especially since mine is on the approved list.
2017-5-13
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

fans1fbbbfaf Posted at 2017-5-13 06:25
And honestly, if you spend 1300 on a product and get nothing but troubles, then I think it is safe to say I  can question the quality of the product.. DJI should have worked out the kinks and not blame the other devices. Especially since mine is on the approved list.

With an iphone 7 (plus) or any iphone (except the really old ones like my iphone 3) you should have no disconnections while flying the Mavic.

Before sending the Mavic back it's always smart to check and double check if there is not an other issue.
For instance have you tried a different cable (the one connecting your remote to the iphone).
You can use any ios cable you have. Just plug it into the usb port of the remote (in the middle) and don't forget to pull the usb connection on the side otherwise the usb port in the middle is not working.

Do you use the right starting procedure? First the remote, then the Mavici and then the phone/app?

Maybe there are some persons with an iphone who can mention some things you can check.
2017-5-13
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

fans1fbbbfaf Posted at 2017-5-13 06:18
I am not sure where the breakdown in communication was, but he definitely told me there would be a charge after seven days. This is the exact conversation.. Me: So you are telling me that I will be charged for repair even if the repair team deems that it is a faulty product? Tech Support: Yes, because you are past the 7 day period. I repeated this comment multiple times, and got the same answer for the guy. I am glad to get verification here that there is indeed a one year warranty (which I assumed until my phone conversation).
Now to the problem. My app does not freeze or crash it simple disconnects mid flight. I still have control through the remote but all app functions are lost. After talking to multiple technicians I have reset my remote, reformatted SD card, went to an older firmware using assistant 2. Nothing works so far. It is time consuming doing this because I can fly great for 15 minutes, or go through a entire battery then mid way through battery 2 I will randomly get the problem. So after each trouble shoot it could take a lot of time to find the problem again. But I can not trust this thing flying far until it is resolved. I am going to delete and reinstall the app today to see if that works. My phone is an iPhone 7 plus and if it is the phone problem and I have to use another device I will be returning the product.

If your phone is disconnecting then it may be the cable. It could be that the connection is slightly loose. Are you using the side connection or the bottom usb port. If you are using the side connection then try using the bottom port and see how it goes.
2017-5-13
Use props
fans1fbbbfaf
New
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-13 16:13
If your phone is disconnecting then it may be the cable. It could be that the connection is slightly loose. Are you using the side connection or the bottom usb port. If you are using the side connection then try using the bottom port and see how it goes.

As soon as I turned on today it lost connection. I restarted the app and the connection came back for a few minutes then dropped again. Reset the app and flew for 15 minutes with no problems... I will try a different cable the next time and see how it goes. Regardless, Amazon is sending me a new one. Hopefully that fixes the problem.
2017-5-13
Use props
Compo777
lvl.1
Flight distance : 735509 ft
United Kingdom

fans1fbbbfaf Posted at 2017-5-13 16:25
As soon as I turned on today it lost connection. I restarted the app and the connection came back for a few minutes then dropped again. Reset the app and flew for 15 minutes with no problems... I will try a different cable the next time and see how it goes. Regardless, Amazon is sending me a new one. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

I bought my magic 2 weeks ago and exactly same problem, I spent hours in the forums troubleshooting and doing the same stuff. I use iPhone 7 too, changed cables, redid firmware ,calibrated emu ,compass etc etc still kept disconnecting. I contacted DJI who said to ship it in for evaluation but as I had only had it a week I took it back to Jessops camera shop where I purchased it and they gave me another which I received yesterday. Done all the FW updates and after 1 hr flying this morning I had 1 app crash but none of the usual disconnects and flying with a blank screen. I'm still worried to take it more than 20 m from me though still as I have lost the confidence to go far in case I disconnect again.
2017-5-14
Use props
Hfarmer66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5614 ft
United States

fans1fbbbfaf Posted at 2017-5-13 16:25

I have the same thing lost connection (LOTs) when GoLive on FB. Yesterday @ Church after take off about 3 min got lost connection again, restarted app no luck then reboot my phone LG Stylo 2 plus still the same No connect.
What is wrong with it???..
2017-5-14
Use props
fans1fbbbfaf
New
United States

Compo777 Posted at 2017-5-14 02:24
I bought my magic 2 weeks ago and exactly same problem, I spent hours in the forums troubleshooting and doing the same stuff. I use iPhone 7 too, changed cables, redid firmware ,calibrated emu ,compass etc etc still kept disconnecting. I contacted DJI who said to ship it in for evaluation but as I had only had it a week I took it back to Jessops camera shop where I purchased it and they gave me another which I received yesterday. Done all the FW updates and after 1 hr flying this morning I had 1 app crash but none of the usual disconnects and flying with a blank screen. I'm still worried to take it more than 20 m from me though still as I have lost the confidence to go far in case I disconnect again.

Yea I am just going to get my amazon return. I will have to fly about 100 times with no issues before I can trust it to go far. I also do not fully trust the remotes return home function. Not too accurate, but maybe it is just the faulty drone
2017-5-14
Use props
Compo777
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fans1fbbbfaf Posted at 2017-5-14 05:32
Yea I am just going to get my amazon return. I will have to fly about 100 times with no issues before I can trust it to go far. I also do not fully trust the remotes return home function. Not too accurate, but maybe it is just the faulty drone

It seems that this disconnection problem is hugely widespread, What are DJI doing about it ?
2017-5-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans1fbbbfaf Posted at 2017-5-14 05:32

Sorry for the issue, you've tried different cables, but no improvement?
2017-5-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Compo777 Posted at 2017-5-14 02:24

Could you please clarify the iOS version for your iPhone 7?
Please export the crash log for us, connect the mobile device to a PC with iTunes installed, then you can get it here: /sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4/LOG/CRASH.
You can upload the file to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.
2017-5-14
Use props
Compo777
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-14 23:41
Could you please clarify the iOS version for your iPhone 7?
Please export the crash log for us, connect the mobile device to a PC with iTunes installed, then you can get it here: /sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4/LOG/CRASH.
You can upload the file to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.

It doesn't matter now as it was exchanged by the camera shop I purchased it from and my new one hasn't had any issues with my phone so it was definitely as Mavic problem like all the other ones over the forums. I have had no disconnects at all with my new one.
2017-5-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Compo777 Posted at 2017-5-17 11:02
It doesn't matter now as it was exchanged by the camera shop I purchased it from and my new one hasn't had any issues with my phone so it was definitely as Mavic problem like all the other ones over the forums. I have had no disconnects at all with my new one.

Glad to hear the new one is working great.
Sorry for your experience, your dealer will send it in to DJI, we'll take care of it.
Hope you have a great time on flying!
2017-5-18
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-18 01:50
Glad to hear the new one is working great.
Sorry for your experience, your dealer will send it in to DJI, we'll take care of it.
Hope you have a great time on flying!

Hi,

would you please take a look into the many other threads and problems regarding the app-disconnects?

http://forum.dji.com/thread-95912-1-1.html

http://forum.dji.com/thread-83774-1-1.html

http://forum.dji.com/thread-92602-1-7.html

It would be great to get any info, if DJI is working on these stability problems and when we can expect a new app version :-)
2017-5-18
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

there is an answer in one of those threads:

"We are sorry to hear that you are having an issue after the last firmware upgrade.
We have checked with our R&D department that they are now fixing this issue regarding this matter.They are going to release a new DJI app version that can fix this issue. Hope for your understanding regarding this matter. Please try to put the mobile phone on airplane mode if it will be working and please do not uninstall the app.
Upon verifying with our R&D department, we have already raised this concern and they are currently addressing the issue to be resolve the soonest time possible for this issue. They are going to release a new app update to fix this. For now, we advise not to uninstall your DJI Go App, then power cycle your mobile phone and put your mobile device to airplane mode to check. Hope for your understanding regarding this matter.
We do apologize on the timeframe for the fix however this is being prioritized already for you by our R&D department."
2017-5-18
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

and for the most people (myself included) the original apple cable or flight mode solves the problem with the app disconnects.
2017-5-18
Use props
paulbi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UCBarkeeper Posted at 2017-5-18 03:34
and for the most people (myself included) the original apple cable or flight mode solves the problem with the app disconnects.

This is exactly correct. I had the exact same issue but after a little google'ing I found a solution.

Either put your iPhone in Airplane mode, you can then use the DJI supplied cable to connect to your phone.
OR...
Use a standard iPhone usb to lightning connector - it's a bit awkward to hold the controller with but no disconnections occur!

Good luck and enjoy your Mavic - fly safe

2017-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules