DJI Mavic Pro Crash - Gimble is completely dead / Black Screen
2364 15 2017-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Venatore
lvl.1

Curaçao

Greetings fellow DJI users,

So I'm new into the high end drone world, I've bought some cheap drones before, without any fancy stuff like assist or GPS.
They were great to fly because I had to do everything at all times, super lightweight so it could go very fast and make amazing sharp turns.

I got a DJI Mavic Pro as a birthday present 2 weeks before writing this thread.

I flew it for the first time today, crashed it for the first time today.

I set it in Beginner Mode even tho I know how to fly drones, but I thought that I should start slow, turns out slow was to SLOW for me.
In Beginner Mode the drones turns really slow.

This was my fault for expecting it to react as my old lightweight drones.
I was flying around/under some trees, drone was maybe 6 feet high, when I saw a thin lightpole in front of the drone.
While the drone was going straight into it (at an amazing slow speed), I turn it to the right, expecting it to simply move out of the way.
In return, it just tilted to the right and kept going straight. It ended up hitting the pole on its side, so across the battery.
I picked it up and didn't see any damage, just the blades had some small dents, maybe 1mm.

I start it up again after 5 minutes, and notice the gimble doesn't move at all to calibrate. On my screen it tells me the gimbal clamp may be on and to check it, but it wasn't.
And also tells me the Gimbal is overloaded.

I flew just for 30 seconds to check how it flew, but it was normal. But the gimble isn't flinching at all.

I double check it and it was outside of it's clamp "L shaped metal piece", i put it back  inside but same problem.

My questions are:
- Is there a known issue about this ?
- Does it have to be send to the shop ? Which isn't nearby. I live in the caribbean and sending it anywhere at this point whole cost me an eye.
- Can it be fixed by a non-proffesional like me ? I have some knowdledge about electronics, fixed a few Galaxy's S4 and laptops with power issues before. I have all the basic tools to dissamble it. I don't have a warranty on it, so that con is out of the picture. I just want to know from this forum if checking it myself is worth it. Maybe a power cable got loose after the crash, since the gimble isn't moving at all.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thank you !
2017-11-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried a gimbal reset? Also obstacle avoidance should have kicked in and stop the Mavic from crashing.
2017-11-25
Use props
Palintar
New
Flight distance : 1773937 ft
United States

You can replace it very easy. All parts are on eBay for cheap.
2017-11-25
Use props
Alexei Merinov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Vietnam

You had a crash on the pillar. Even small strokes tear the camera control loop. This can be a non-warranty case. If there are shops or services nearby - try!
If far, check the cardan. without effort, rotate it several times on all axes. Try to calibrate the application. Make a few attempts.

If it does not help:
- it is worth looking for on YouTube video instruction "replacing the plume of the caravan suspension Mavik pro."
Gently replace the cable. Do not tear the camera cable - it is also fragile and costs twice as much.

If there is no experience - it is better to change the cardan assembly. There the train is laid as should lie.
Below are links to my experience and to spare parts

https://forum.dji.com/thread-114203-1-1.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... .9042311.0.0.SSMLwS
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/- ... .9042311.0.0.SSMLwS
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... .9042311.0.0.SSMLwS
2017-11-25
Use props
Venatore
lvl.1

Curaçao

Woe Posted at 2017-11-25 18:52
Have you tried a gimbal reset? Also obstacle avoidance should have kicked in and stop the Mavic from crashing.

I'll give it a try, the gimbal reset.

And friends also told the obstacle avoidance should have avoided the light pole, but then someone in the background whispered DJI's Obstacle Avoidance sucks. Either ways it can't be helped.

Thanks for the reply.
2017-11-26
Use props
Venatore
lvl.1

Curaçao

Palintar Posted at 2017-11-25 19:28
You can replace it very easy. All parts are on eBay for cheap.

This shall be my last option.

Thanks for the reply.
2017-11-26
Use props
Venatore
lvl.1

Curaçao

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-11-25 22:15
You had a crash on the pillar. Even small strokes tear the camera control loop. This can be a non-warranty case. If there are shops or services nearby - try!
If far, check the cardan. without effort, rotate it several times on all axes. Try to calibrate the application. Make a few attempts.

Shops on my island aren't really advanced, I would rather fix it myself.

Never heard of the cardan, I'll give it a look. And rotating it several times didn't buy me the first time I read it somewhere else, but shall try it also.

But from this post, i'll check into the cardan assembly.

Thanks for the reply.
2017-11-26
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

That's unfortunate to hear this, to ensure the safety and performance, I would recommend you send the drone to DJI or a recommended service center for diagnosis and repair, please see if you can refer to the link below to find a suitable recommended service center. https://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers
2017-11-27
Use props
J.T.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076637 ft
Italy

Venatore Posted at 2017-11-26 11:08
I'll give it a try, the gimbal reset.

And friends also told the obstacle avoidance should have avoided the light pole, but then someone in the background whispered DJI's Obstacle Avoidance sucks. Either ways it can't be helped.

I'm feel sorry for your incident but i'm not agree with the sentence "Dji's Obstacle Avoidance sucks"... Avoidance system works well if you know its limit and if you had taken some time to practice with it.
As I have understand you rotate the mavic to avoid the pole so the pole should be on the side of the mavic...  ther's no sensor on the sides of the mavic, If the mavic keep going straight after you turning it maybe you where in another flight mode other than the usual. try to chek and let meknow
2017-11-27
Use props
Venatore
lvl.1

Curaçao

J.T. Posted at 2017-11-27 03:44
I'm feel sorry for your incident but i'm not agree with the sentence "Dji's Obstacle Avoidance sucks"... Avoidance system works well if you know its limit and if you had taken some time to practice with it.
As I have understand you rotate the mavic to avoid the pole so the pole should be on the side of the mavic...  ther's no sensor on the sides of the mavic, If the mavic keep going straight after you turning it maybe you where in another flight mode other than the usual. try to chek and let meknow

Yea, was talking with a friend that owns some DJI products, he told me that it was probably my fault for turning it late and turning it at all, since like you said, it doesn't have side sensors like a Phantom. So maybe if i would have let it fly straight into the pole, it would have stopped, but then again, the pole isn't wider than a baseball bat.

As for flight mode, i can recall being in Beginner Mode, my friends also added that it was also my fault for using a slow mode and trying to do sharp turns

Still doing some research before i take any actions about the drone.

Thanks for the reply.
2017-11-27
Use props
Venatore
lvl.1

Curaçao

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-11-27 01:36
That's unfortunate to hear this, to ensure the safety and performance, I would recommend you send the drone to DJI or a recommended service center for diagnosis and repair, please see if you can refer to the link below to find a suitable recommended service center. https://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers

I noticed there is one in Dominican Republic. I'll try to contact them and see what options I have.

Thanks for the reply.
2017-11-27
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Venatore Posted at 2017-11-27 06:46
I noticed there is one in Dominican Republic. I'll try to contact them and see what options I have.

Thanks for the reply.

You are welcome, hope you can get the drone repaired soon.
2017-11-27
Use props
J.T.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076637 ft
Italy

Venatore Posted at 2017-11-27 06:44
Yea, was talking with a friend that owns some DJI products, he told me that it was probably my fault for turning it late and turning it at all, since like you said, it doesn't have side sensors like a Phantom. So maybe if i would have let it fly straight into the pole, it would have stopped, but then again, the pole isn't wider than a baseball bat.

As for flight mode, i can recall being in Beginner Mode, my friends also added that it was also my fault for using a slow mode and trying to do sharp turns

keep practicing and hope for you that you can soon fly again
2017-11-28
Use props
Venatore
lvl.1

Curaçao

2017-11-28
Use props
Venatore
lvl.1

Curaçao

Greetings everyone,

As you all can see it seems that the Ribbon Cable is broken.

I'll start by ordering one, sadly it will take around 2 weeks to get here..

Thank you all for the suggestion,

Cheers
2017-11-28
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Mavic's obstacle avoidance can detect the sun but not a building. It is mostly marketing gimmick.

It does work well on my P4A though....much better than the Mavic.
2017-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules