Out of range? Auto RTH?
4172 29 2018-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_q64BOA5L3qn5
lvl.1

China

If my Mavic Air lose contact with my controller for, say, 30 seconds, will it automatically RTH?
If not, DJI needs to add this feature.
You will keep so many of us happy that we won't lose our beautiful machine!

2018-3-26
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya, best advice is RTFM.

But in anwer to your question ; yes it will return home when is looses the connection. (it just happend to my MA today :-)  )

cheers
JJB
2018-3-26
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

as jb spark says below - however do check your settings also to ensure that signal loss is set to RTH and not set to Hover (this is from a mavic pro pilot - not sure if air is the same)
2018-3-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Yes the MA will initiate Failsafe RTH if it looses signal for 3 seconds or more using the controler and it will initiate Failsafe RTH if the signal is lost for 30 seconds or more using WiFi.
2018-3-26
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

RTH is automatically initiated three seconds have the remote controller disconnects from the Mavic Air.
2018-3-26
Use props
djiuser_q64BOA5L3qn5
lvl.1

China

Thanks expert MA colleagues, that's comforting to know! The craft is so small that it's easy to lose sight of it when distracted, especially when going around an area of LOS and Loss of Signal....
2018-3-26
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Please read the manual if you want to enjoy your MA for long: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 20Manual%20v1.2.pdf
Then check your DJI GO 4 settings. You have several options for what you want to happen in case of signal loss!
2018-3-26
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-26 06:59
Please read the manual if you want to enjoy your MA for long: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic%20Air/20180305/Mavic%20Air%20User%20Manual%20v1.2.pdf
Then check your DJI GO 4 settings. You have several options for what you want to happen in case of signal loss!

If I might add, check the settings again after app or firmware update. It might happen settings will be reset to default values.
2018-3-26
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

chiplifter Posted at 2018-3-26 07:57
If I might add, check the settings again after app or firmware update. It might happen settings will be reset to default values.

Absolutely vital to do that, thank you for adding it!
2018-3-26
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-26 07:59
Absolutely vital to do that, thank you for adding it!

you're welcome.
It would be nice if @DJI made a save/restore feature for setting-preferences. After update I often forget to  set one of the many settings (mostly camera settings btw) to my preference.  
2018-3-26
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

chiplifter Posted at 2018-3-26 08:06
you're welcome.
It would be nice if @DJI made a save/restore feature for setting-preferences. After update I often forget to  set one of the many settings (mostly camera settings btw) to my preference.

Excellent proposal, you should send it to DJI directly or open a new thread "Feature proposal" for it as otherwise it might go unnoticed by those "in power" here ;-)
2018-3-26
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-26 08:12
Excellent proposal, you should send it to DJI directly or open a new thread "Feature proposal" for it as otherwise it might go unnoticed by those "in power" here ;-)

And here it is:  https://forum.dji.com/thread-142007-1-1.html
2018-3-26
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

chiplifter Posted at 2018-3-26 08:06
you're welcome.
It would be nice if @DJI made a save/restore feature for setting-preferences. After update I often forget to  set one of the many settings (mostly camera settings btw) to my preference.

Hi chiplifter, thank you for your suggestion, I will forward this proposal to our engineers. Hope more functions will be available in the future.
2018-3-27
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

RTH works when loss of connection.  Happens to me all the time. i can't go 300m without getting LOS and it's returned back it's static starting point every time.
2018-3-27
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft

When you are flying turn of the RC and see what happens.
2018-3-27
Use props
Fantasia
lvl.2
Vietnam

RTH will works well if GPS signal >15 (my exp) and without strong wind and distance your AC <300 meters (at least 40% battery)
2018-3-27
Use props
djiuser_q64BOA5L3qn5
lvl.1

China

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-26 06:59
Please read the manual if you want to enjoy your MA for long: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic%20Air/20180305/Mavic%20Air%20User%20Manual%20v1.2.pdf

Thanks! I've read the manual now and have confidence in RTH!
2018-3-28
Use props
cspain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Acenspades Posted at 2018-3-27 06:37
RTH works when loss of connection.  Happens to me all the time. i can't go 300m without getting LOS and it's returned back it's static starting point every time.

Are you in a heavy urban area - 300 m is not far at all. One thing to try is putting your phone in airplane mode as its wifi and bluetooth could interfere with the Mavic RC signals.
2018-3-28
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

cspain Posted at 2018-3-28 11:00
Are you in a heavy urban area - 300 m is not far at all. One thing to try is putting your phone in airplane mode as its wifi and bluetooth could interfere with the Mavic RC signals.

yes,
My point of reference for a heavy urban area is right in the middle of Los Angeles.
I'll try airplane mode.
2018-3-28
Use props
djiuser_q64BOA5L3qn5
lvl.1

China

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-3-27 00:23
Hi chiplifter, thank you for your suggestion, I will forward this proposal to our engineers. Hope more functions will be available in the future.

Hi Diana, why isn't APAS automatically activated? Seems to me that it should be on by default and then rather let the pro's turn it off if need be?
It's one of several features that sets the Air apart from its competitors.
2018-4-4
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

djiuser_q64BOA5L3qn5 Posted at 2018-4-4 04:28
Hi Diana, why isn't APAS automatically activated? Seems to me that it should be on by default and then rather let the pro's turn it off if need be?
It's one of several features that sets the Air apart from its competitors.

Yes, it's a special feature of the Mavic air. Thank you so much for your suggestion, I will forward this proposal to our engineers, they will improve it in the future if possible.
2018-4-5
Use props
fansfe86a921
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578701 ft
Singapore

I had two RTH on my Mavic Pro upon lost of signal.  But typically, the signal is lost because there is something in between me and the aircraft and block the signal (e.g. a building).  Both time when it initiate RTH due to Lost of Signal, I worry that whether the aircraft will clear the obstacle.  Luckily, both time are ok, but just a few meters above the obstacle.  

It is best not to allow the lost of signal to happen.  When the signal is low, it is time to orient yourself properly, or start the return.  RTH is only a safety net.  
2018-4-6
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Please make sure you set your RTH altitude to the area you are flying in. Be sure your Home point is out in the open, and set before you take off. I can tell you from experience that it will indeed RTH after disconnecting. My Mavic Air is Junk, all it does is disconnect from controller all the time, and RTH. So make sure you have the settings right. I have owned 4 DJI quads (flamewheel 450, phantom 3 Advanced, Mavic pro, and now the Mavic air.) I have been flying these things for years with tons of air time, Never have I had more problems and disconnects than with this latest dissapointment, the MA.
2018-4-6
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_q64BOA5L3qn5 Posted at 2018-3-28 04:38
Thanks! I've read the manual now and have confidence in RTH!

Thanks, now people in China can rest easier.

Would you buy a gun, without knowing how it works, take it out and shoot it all around you in all directions and then ask other gun owners if this thing will kill people?

I bet, yes.
2018-4-6
Use props
djiuser_q64BOA5L3qn5
lvl.1

United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-5 23:06
Yes, it's a special feature of the Mavic air. Thank you so much for your suggestion, I will forward this proposal to our engineers, they will improve it in the future if possible.

Finally Why don't DJI  put a solar panel into all drones?
2018-4-6
Use props
djiuser_q64BOA5L3qn5
lvl.1

United States

DroneDriver Posted at 2018-4-6 01:50
Thanks, now people in China can rest easier.

Would you buy a gun, without knowing how it works, take it out and shoot it all around you in all directions and then ask other gun owners if this thing will kill people?

My! My!
               Your completely unneccessary reply informs me that you are a self-ingratiating person who likes to belittle people who don't have as much knowledge as you do.....about CERTAIN things of course! You think that your smarmy retorts will make people appreciative of your self-iindulgently presumed intellect?
I admit that I don't know everything there is to know....nor will YOU ever know everything there is to know about everything.

But, you have NO idea of where and under what circumstances I have flown my Air and your assumptive parallel between a drone and a firearm I find most most perturbing. I don't need the comfort of a gun to protect myself in most countries that I visit or live in.....seems like you do. Should I wonder why?
Naaaaa!!!!!

I've set RTH on the next bullet you fire, DroneDriver!

Aimed, most precicely, at your ignorant and arrogant arse!

2018-4-6
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

LOL!
It took you a mouthful to answer a simple statement and proved me right on the mark. LOL ...and the point went right over your head. No,  you proved the ignorance with your opening remarks. Look it up, the meaning, you really should.
Me, arrogant maybe. knowledgeable, yes. Educated, yes. Licensed private pilot, yes. Safe drone pilot, absolutely. Accomplished photographer, you bet. Licensed gun owner, second amendment guaranteed. All because I wanted to be all of those things and more.
Young touchy millennial, NOPE.

It ain't arrogance if you can pull it off, my new friend.
2018-4-7
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DroneDriver Posted at 2018-4-7 13:50
LOL!
It took you a mouthful to answer a simple statement and proved me right on the mark. LOL ...and the point went right over your head. No,  you proved the ignorance with your opening remarks. Look it up, the meaning, you really should.
Me, arrogant maybe. knowledgeable, yes. Educated, yes. Licensed private pilot, yes. Safe drone pilot, absolutely. Accomplished photographer, you bet. Licensed gun owner, second amendment guaranteed. All because I wanted to be all of those things and more.

And to think,  FRIEND is the only name that I called you.
2018-4-7
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_q64BOA5L3qn5 Posted at 2018-4-6 04:01
Finally Why don't DJI  put a solar panel into all drones?

A solar panel large enough that could generate enough power to fly or even assist the power source to fly is not possible using existing technology. The size/weight required would overcome the power generated.

Charging a MP battery takes about 1 and a half hours, using about three amps at the beginning. Current solar panel technology would require a more complex and costly system just to charge at the same rate.

Good idea, though. Keep asking questions.
2018-4-8
Use props
KeithG
lvl.1

United States

DroneDriver Posted at 2018-4-8 03:13
A solar panel large enough that could generate enough power to fly or even assist the power source to fly is not possible using existing technology. The size/weight required would overcome the power generated.

Charging a MP battery takes about 1 and a half hours, using about three amps at the beginning. Current solar panel technology would require a more complex and costly system just to charge at the same rate.

The idea is not to fully charge the battery, just to extend the flying time when in use. Modern Solar-chargers are very light.
2018-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules