2455 31 2018-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

With DJI calling the new Mavic Pro 2 their FLAGSHIP drone wonder where that leaves the P5?

2018-8-23
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

That is the p5 lol phantoms are going to be left to die a slow and painfull death
2018-8-23
Use props
FlyingUser
lvl.2

United Kingdom

If they can make it with interchangeable lenses, the p5 will eventually come. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense.
2018-8-23
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I guess were gonna see a lot of second hand dji drones on the market very soon
2018-8-23
Use props
P4P+_Brazil
lvl.4
Brazil

A flagship in their entry level of drones, it cannot record at 4K/60fps (limited to 30), nor even shoot vertically at full 90 degrees and still features an eletronic shutter, not mechanical like the P4P.
P5 will be probably released in 2019 keeping the series in the entry-level professional drones .
2018-8-23
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

P4P+_Brazil Posted at 2018-8-23 14:28
A flagship in their entry level of drones, it cannot record at 4K/60fps (limited to 30), nor even shoot vertically at full 90 degrees and still features an eletronic shutter, not mechanical like the P4P.
P5 will be probably released in 2019 keeping the series in the entry-level professional drones .

Wow didn't notice the new Mavic not shooting 4K 60 which is always what I shoot in. thanks
2018-8-23
Use props
Alvaro L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8832 ft
Spain

I hope the new "must have" drone means the other "not so cool" ones drop their prices, including spare parts. I will wait for the P5 with at least a 48 MP Sony sensor I hope !

The Hasselblad camera is cool and I am very interested in the lens qualities compared with the P4P/P4A lens, but not vertical shooting and no mecanical shutter is a let down. Seems that my P4A still have some life ahead.
2018-8-24
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>

BrianKushner Posted at 2018-8-23 14:51
Wow didn't notice the new Mavic not shooting 4K 60 which is always what I shoot in. thanks

Brian -

See the following forum thread on Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom not currently offering 4K/60fps:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-162817-1-1.html

Also, the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom cannot, at least with current firmware and DJI GO 4 app, take a photo while simultaneously recording video at any resolution/frame rate as is currently possible on the P4Pro.
2018-8-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TheMann58 Posted at 2018-8-24 11:53
Brian -

See the following forum thread on Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom not currently offering 4K/60fps:

'Also, the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom cannot, at least with current firmware and DJI GO 4 app, take a photo while simultaneously recording video at any resolution/frame rate as is currently possible on the P4Pro.'

A vastly over-rated feature. All the P4P does is take a frame grab from the video and record it as a still, which you can do in post production at any time you like. It does not take a good high resolution still.

2018-8-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Geebax Posted at 2018-8-24 16:47
'Also, the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom cannot, at least with current firmware and DJI GO 4 app, take a photo while simultaneously recording video at any resolution/frame rate as is currently possible on the P4Pro.'

A vastly over-rated feature. All the P4P does is take a frame grab from the video and record it as a still, which you can do in post production at any time you like. It does not take a good high resolution still.

Which means she will not capture - say - 4:3 RAW photo while recording video? Ouch, that'll be nasty marketing BS, I hope this limitation is stated in specs ...
2018-8-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-8-24 18:22
Which means she will not capture - say - 4:3 RAW photo while recording video? Ouch, that'll be nasty marketing BS, I hope this limitation is stated in specs ...

I haven't seen any advertising even hinting that they could shoot raw images or full sized stills of any kind while shooting video.
Just people that don't understand cameras assuming they could.
2018-8-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-8-24 18:22

Actually (and I could be wrong) I have never seen ANY camera advertised that can shoot stills of a different aspect ratio, or pixel dimensions while simultaneously shooting video. It would mean the camera would have to switched into a completely different sensor mode while shooting video, and then back to video mode, all without missing video frames. Technically, an extremely difficult thing to do. And as for shooting RAW during video recording, damn near impossible with the SSD cards we use, as they could not write a RAW frame in the time available.
2018-8-24
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Maybe next time
2018-8-24
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

It will be here soon along with the price tag.
2018-8-25
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531640 ft
Singapore

As I bought my P4P+ just 2 months ago I can wait a while before uying a P5...LOL
2018-8-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

If DJI go for the folding mavic style as their only form, giving up the fixed form design of the Phantom ... I shall be moving on to another brand when my P3P joins the heavenly crowd.

I may be old fashioned ... I may be hanging on to old format ... but I like the heavier more stable Phantom design. I also like that the camera is fully gimballed not like mavic / spark etc.

I often fly in rough areas and a Mavic / Spark format is just not suited ... the legs and form of the Phantom are much better.

Nigel
2018-8-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2018-8-25 22:25
If DJI go for the folding mavic style as their only form, giving up the fixed form design of the Phantom ... I shall be moving on to another brand when my P3P joins the heavenly crowd.

I may be old fashioned ... I may be hanging on to old format ... but I like the heavier more stable Phantom design. I also like that the camera is fully gimballed not like mavic / spark etc.

but I like the heavier more stable Phantom design.
More stable?  Do you know for sure that the mavic is less stable ... or just assume that because of the smaller size/weight?

I also like that the camera is fully gimballed not like mavic / spark etc.

The Spark only has a 2-axis gimbal but the Mavics all have 3-axis gimbals - just like the Phantom does.
2018-8-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

We have Mavics and Spark in the club and the Phantom is clearly more stable in any gusty wind ...

As to the gimbal ... I believe some mavic models are Electronically stabilised camera due to 2 axis gimbal ... its only top line that has 3 axis ... Of course I could be wrong ... but looking at our guys Mavics ..
Doesn't change fact that we have one Mavic with already dodgy arms in the club ...
Mavic lack of legs to keep it out of the crap .... etc.

Its a preference bias like anything else .. I hate BMW's ...

Nigel
2018-8-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

solentlife Posted at 2018-8-26 00:51
We have Mavics and Spark in the club and the Phantom is clearly more stable in any gusty wind ...

As to the gimbal ... I believe some mavic models are Electronically stabilised camera due to 2 axis gimbal ... its only top line that has 3 axis ... Of course I could be wrong ... but looking at our guys Mavics ..

Think the word out there is this is the most stable prosumer drone in the dji fleet, it will also have the benefit of some new technology, like Ocusync 2, I have a Mavic Air and it’s not that far behind P4Pro as regards stability in the wind, particularly when videoing in the wind.

P4Pro was released 3 months after Mavic Pro , so I’m expecting P5pro just before Christmas as P4Pro will be two years old then, and I believe or hope it will have interchangeable lens among all the new tech available to dji.
2018-8-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

"Think the word out there is this is the most stable prosumer drone in the dji fleet, it will also have the benefit of some new technology, like Ocusync 2"

Well - taking the evidence I observe in our club where we have more than a few DJI gear as well as other brands ... the Mavic is clearly NOT as stable in wind especially when gusts than the Phantoms. Even the base Standard can hold its own against the Mavic !! The Mavic as we see is as good once its moving ... but in the hover - it is a clear loser to a Phantom.

As to Ocusync ... its only a control system and word is its a modified Lightbridge anyway ...
The real stability and performance comes from the stabilisation system in the Flight Controller on board ... Ocusync and other control systems only pass your commands to the Flight Controller.

I reckon my P3P has quite a bit of life still in it .......... so I reckon Mavics will be old hat by time I look to replace the P3P ... and I will be looking for a more durable machine anyway.#

Nigel
2018-8-26
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Well I wrote the big cheese and he responded. Looks like we will be seeing a Phantom 5.

2018-8-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

When you consider the models out there produced by not only DJI ... the Phantom style of frame is quite popular.

Also consider that for the Pro - you have the Inspire line up for example and then for the 'semi' pro and hobbyists moving down the size through Phantom to the Mavic ... and the Spark.

The Phantom line-up sits comfortably between the large and small models. It would be in my mind a silly move on DJI part to give up that slot - there would be a mad rush in my view of alternatives to fill that slot.

Its also iconic. Ask any non drone person to point out a drone and they instantly recognise the Phantom.

But of course there's no knowing what some marketing 'expert' will say and whether he will continue on the line ...  Look at car companys who end a model despite popularity because of some marketing guru decides its time to move on ...

Long Live the Phantom ...

Nigel
2018-8-26
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yeah I think we are going to see a P5 before Christmas. Interchangeable lenses, Ocusync 2 etc for around $1995 and it will be a prosumer model.
2018-8-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-8-25 04:47
It will be here soon along with the price tag.

I like this other P5. But it was only a concept . . .
Nothing special. Chuckles
5C0C1042-E5D4-45D4-977B-21BBCDF49487.jpeg

Is that canary? ;-)

RedHotPoker

2018-8-26
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

I was born in the Canary Islands   , and I have never seen this guy before
2018-8-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Bullflyer Posted at 2018-8-27 01:04
I was born in the Canary Islands   , and I have never seen this guy before

& I’d bet a shiny quarter, that you never will!?, haha
72C0D249-1B2A-43B5-A41D-80E58D6E7161.jpeg

I feel your Plight! Ha

RedHotPoker
2018-8-27
Use props
Bullflier
lvl.4

Spain

On the next P5, a new aerodynamic design would be interesting.
Hasselblad has always been a well-known brand, but the best lenses are Leica and Zeiss.
It is important to combine both, technology and quality
2018-8-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Bullflier Posted at 2018-8-27 01:19
On the next P5, a new aerodynamic design would be interesting.
Hasselblad has always been a well-known brand, but the best lenses are Leica and Zeiss.
It is important to combine both, technology and quality

These are camera platforms, “primarily” for making awesome videos and capturing stunning images from above. But, If you want a racing drone, with FPV, that’s different.

Nothing wrong with Nikkor lenses that Nikon build, that many Canon camera owners use as well.

DJI are finally making use of their wise partnership in Hasselblad with the new Mavic 2 optional camera...

RedHotPoker
2018-8-27
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-8-26 20:03
I like this other P5. But it was only a concept . . .
Nothing special. Chuckles
[view_image]

I like your taste
2018-8-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Thanks, yes, I do have an eye, I see for the beautiful and rare...
225418B6-8C1E-4132-960D-F030F66C5297.jpeg

From different angles as well. Ha
47898141-7849-4E2C-935A-53032E053E47.jpeg

RedHotPoker

2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate your time bringing this to us. We don't have any pieces of information yet of if there will be a Phantom 5. Certainly, we will be announcing if there's any. Thank you for continued support in DJI. Have a safe flight always.
2018-8-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

No insider trading?  Snickers

RedHotPoker
2018-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now