12Next >
6792 46 2018-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80364 ft
Norway

Anyone else having problems with gimbal scratches right out of the box?

They aren't anywhere near as bad as some that I have seen, but it makes  me wonder what else is wrong with the drone. Also, the rear legs rub   against the lower body shell when I fold them in, at about where the  rear leg motor mounts sit. I've taken to putting electrical tape to stop  them gradually wearing the plastic down.

So, what should I do? This is my third DJI drone that has not lived up  to expectations and I'm honestly tired of it. I want this drone to work  and be fault free, but I don't know if I can trust DJI anymore.

Here are some pictures. On the gimbal picture, you have to look hard for the scratches, but they are there. It's just a little difficult to see on a photo.

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... FSlzsu6gp1GRwuStRSf

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... OTSw4KrbLmQziTEepve

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... _n-_eGye1IcFb6epLgl

I don't understand why this is even a problem on a drone that costs no  small amount of money. This is shockingly bad quality control and shoddy  design. Why did they even think they could get away with it? Like  buyers wouldn't notice this? Or that people would just let it slip  because it's a new drone and you'd lose millions by scrapping the faulty  drones? Come on DJI, have a bit of respect for your customers!

So, what should I do? Do I trust that the drone will otherwise work  perfectly? The scratches aren't big at all, barely noticeable, but they  shouldn't be there. Period! And the legs should definately fold without  rubbing on the body, I could already see marks on the legs and body  after a couple of folds and I haven't even flown it yet.

Anyways, advice please?

I'm guessing a DJI representative will be along shortly to tell me to recalibrate my gimbal

2018-9-4
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

These Gimbal problems are going to keep happening , scratches , Gimbal overload , Gimbals burning out (  DJI said from the wind ) lol until they secure the Gimbal better  because it is getting banged around during shipping. and could shorten the life of the Gimbal . So  everyone who gets a scratched Gimbal needs to send them back  and exchange it for another and keep sending it back until  DJI wakes up and fixes the problem.
2018-9-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That is shocking - the gimbal on the M2P looks more stable than the original
2018-9-5
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

A CW Posted at 2018-9-5 02:07
That is shocking - the gimbal on the M2P looks more stable than the original

Oh, it does seem like a much better gimbal in general. More sturdy, tougher. Doesn't jiggle about all over the place. And it sits tight in the gimbal clamp and did do when it arrived. I don't think this is an issue with transport. I think it's an issue with them being dissasembled for some reason, and shipped back out. Perhaps the employees were under a lot of pressure to get them back out in time for launch, which resulted in sloppy work. I don't know.

Anyways, contacted the company that sold me it and I'm waiting for them to respond.
2018-9-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jmark Posted at 2018-9-5 02:13
Oh, it does seem like a much better gimbal in general. More sturdy, tougher. Doesn't jiggle about all over the place. And it sits tight in the gimbal clamp and did do when it arrived. I don't think this is an issue with transport. I think it's an issue with them being dissasembled for some reason, and shipped back out. Perhaps the employees were under a lot of pressure to get them back out in time for launch, which resulted in sloppy work. I don't know.

Anyways, contacted the company that sold me it and I'm waiting for them to respond.

Quality control can often be the cause - monitor it and ship it back if it persists
2018-9-5
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-9-5 02:07
That is shocking - the gimbal on the M2P looks more stable than the original

DJI puts a  Gimbal CLAMP and  cover on the Mavic Pro 1 but the Mavic 2 only has a cover.
2018-9-5
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think I see yours in the middle of this lot at the factory.........No laughing matter though when you shell out the cash and get semi-damaged goods.
2018-9-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-9-5 02:18
I think I see yours in the middle of this lot at the factory.........[view_image]No laughing matter though when you shell out the cash and get semi-damaged goods.

Hahahahaha - OMG!     
2018-9-5
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

I think I see yours in the middle of this lot at the factory.........[view_image]No laughing matter though when you shell out the cash and get semi-damaged goods.

Hahahaha! Funny guy!
2018-9-5
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Put those dollar store felt footpads for chairs on either side of the gimbal on m1. The legs would hit those folded and kept them from over extending. Looks like have to do that with m2.
2018-9-5
Use props
IgOrdure
lvl.4
Flight distance : 620696 ft
France

I just received it. Indeed, I have two scratches on the gimbal. I haven't activated it yet, so I don't know if everything works correctly.
It is still unacceptable at this price. It is incredible to see that DJI has still not succeeded in solving these quality problems.
(zoom model)
2018-9-5
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-5
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine had some minor scuffs/scratches that seems to disappear after i rubbered them with my thumb.
2018-9-5
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IgOrdure Posted at 2018-9-5 03:26
I just received it. Indeed, I have two scratches on the gimbal. I haven't activated it yet, so I don't know if everything works correctly.
It is still unacceptable at this price. It is incredible to see that DJI has still not succeeded in solving these quality problems.
(zoom model)

There is a post already in relation to this. Apparently DJI don't see it as an issue as the minute space between legs when folded and body is within spec........Design flaw then. Should have allowed 2 or 3mm space or at least designed the body in a way that doesn't cause this scratching. Just a small indentation either side would have done. Like I said to the other post - Like buying a car with the doors that almost close.....with a little force. Not good enough for spending over a grand.
2018-9-5
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

And now I can't even calibrate the IMU...

see here...
https://forum.dji.com/thread-165455-1-1.html
2018-9-5
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Get in touch with the CEO - Frank Wang. No offence to the mods on here but they seem to answer questions in a very scripted manner. There are a few with genuine interest but it's pot luck who you get. I posted some footage last night and they asked me if I had any other questions.......Case proved.
2018-9-5
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

Just took it out for a test fly. Gotta say, I was impressed with the original Mavic, but the M2P flies like a demon. Very impressive!
2018-9-5
Use props
shazamin91_DJI
lvl.2

I just received my drone, and upon opening, found that the gimbal cover was not secured.

It was dangling around..

Should I be concerned? It might have failed to protect the camera during transit.

p/s: I am still charging my batteries and remote, waiting to update before test flight
2018-9-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, we're really sorry about that. Can you please try to clean the surface and see if the defect disappears? If the scratch feels rough, I recommend you send back for replacement. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.
2018-9-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

IgOrdure Posted at 2018-9-5 03:26
I just received it. Indeed, I have two scratches on the gimbal. I haven't activated it yet, so I don't know if everything works correctly.
(zoom model)

Hi, we're sorry to hear about that. Can you please send us a clear picture of the gimbal showing the scratches? Can you please try to clean the surface and see if the defect disappears. Thank you.
2018-9-5
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

I have one scratch on the top of my gimbal. It wasn't there when I got it though. I discovered it was from me putting the gimbal cover on. It's nothing big and just a tiny cosmetic one.. I wonder how many of the scratches on the top of the gimbal are due to the cover being take off and put on.
2018-9-5
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

I also scratched mine in a very minor way when I put the gimbal cover back on.   I'm going to scrap that cover and not use it.   I'm definitely **NOT** sending it back over a scratch.  It's more important to me that the drone is rock solid in performance than having a cosmetic scratch.   Trust me that you don't want to trust the QA gods over a minor blemish!
2018-9-5
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

I'm atually wondering if these scratches are gimbal covered induced. Mine seems to be one of the corners where the gimbal cover seats the camera housing.

Apart from that, the drone is solid as a rock. Best drone I've owned so far.
2018-9-5
Use props
Weapon Analyst
lvl.2
Flight distance : 530614 ft
United States

Amazing.  Got anymore?  
2018-9-5
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

jmark Posted at 2018-9-5 04:25
And now I can't even calibrate the IMU...

see here...

Why did you need to re-calibrate the IMU.  
2018-9-5
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

I looked images you provided, and don't see this as an issue. They are so minor and wont effect the function of the drone. As far as the rear legs touching the body when folded up, I don't see a indent on the black electrical tape.   Please let me know if I'm missing something. I would like to see the rear legs folded so we can see the clearance. The IMU calibration is a serious problem, I saw other post that noted problems when using a Android devices.
2018-9-5
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

dbparti024 Posted at 2018-9-5 12:32
I looked images you provided, and don't see this as an issue. They are so minor and wont effect the function of the drone. As far as the rear legs touching the body when folded up, I don't see a indent on the black electrical tape.   Please let me know if I'm missing something. I would like to see the rear legs folded so we can see the clearance. The IMU calibration is a serious problem, I saw other post that noted problems when using a Android devices.

The indent is on the actual body under the tape.

You're right though, I can't see these things being an issue. The drone flies beautifully.

Also, the EMU puzzled me quite a bit. In the end I calibrated as I watched the video and did it according to that and not what the instructions on my phone were telling me. I can only guess that, for some strange reason, the pictures are wrong. I also couldn't figure out why it would show me different pictures on different calibrations. Strange. Sometimes, it would tell me to turn the drone on  it's side, sometimes on it's back, and in different orders from the last time I calibrated. DJI needs to get on top of this immediately!

You're right though, I doubt these things will effect the function of the drone at all. It's just me being picky, which I don't think is out of the question when you pay so much for a top of the line product. I wouldn't accept a brand new Samsung mobile phone with a small scratch on the screen, even if this didn't effect the function. No one would. It's more just that DJI's QC appears shody, and if simple cosmetic things go unnoticed, then you have to wonder what else deeper under the skin?

I'll probably keep it though. I'm taking out private insurance on the drone, as DJI won't cover it under their refresh scheme here in Norway. So, private is the way to go. Which is better I suppose, it covers theft too.

Thank you for taking the time to look over my photos and give your opinion. I appreciate it

2018-9-5
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

These are all scratched apparently......I think I will put this one on and say it's new.....
2018-9-6
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-6
Use props
Weapon Analyst
lvl.2
Flight distance : 530614 ft
United States

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-9-6 09:30
These are all scratched apparently......[view_image]I think I will put this one on and say it's new.....

Amazing, you must have some great images.
2018-9-6
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Weapon Analyst Posted at 2018-9-6 15:23
Amazing, you must have some great images.

Just google the right stuff and junk appears......Nothing new there then. Funny though...
2018-9-7
Use props
IgOrdure
lvl.4
France

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-5 07:32
Hi, we're sorry to hear about that. Can you please send us a clear picture of the gimbal showing the scratches? Can you please try to clean the surface and see if the defect disappears. Thank you.

It's hard to take a picture. It's the best I can do right now. The drone seems to be working properly. I'll do more testing this weekend with the gimbal.
2018-9-7
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

shazamin91_DJI Posted at 2018-9-5 06:25
I just received my drone, and upon opening, found that the gimbal cover was not secured.

It was dangling around..

I just can't figure out why it wouldn't stay secured ? lol For $1500 we need white glove delivery.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ... ideo_n_3653318.html
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

IgOrdure Posted at 2018-9-7 09:53
It's hard to take a picture. It's the best I can do right now. The drone seems to be working properly. I'll do more testing this weekend with the gimbal.
[view_image]

Hi, thanks for the reply. May I know if the scratch feels rough?
2018-9-7
Use props
IgOrdure
lvl.4
France

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-7 10:44
Hi, thanks for the reply. May I know if the scratch feels rough?

I tried to clean it up to see if it was glue residue or something, but it's still there. So yes, it is slightly rough, it is indeed a mark in the metal. I also have a small impact on the other side of the camera but it's really minimal.
In the end, it is not catastrophic, it is only a little disappointing when you have spent so much money on a new product and when you open the box you feel like you have a refurbished item.
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

IgOrdure Posted at 2018-9-7 13:00
I tried to clean it up to see if it was glue residue or something, but it's still there. So yes, it is slightly rough, it is indeed a mark in the metal. I also have a small impact on the other side of the camera but it's really minimal.
In the end, it is not catastrophic, it is only a little disappointing when you have spent so much money on a new product and when you open the box you feel like you have a refurbished item.

Hi, I understand your frustration. I suggest you send it back for replacement. Please contact our support team for further assistance. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-9-8
Use props
IgOrdure
lvl.4
France

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-8 14:43
Hi, I understand your frustration. I suggest you send it back for replacement. Please contact our support team for further assistance. Thanks for your understanding.

Natalia, thank you for your investment.
Apart from these scratches, the drone seems to be working properly. I don't have the courage to embark on an exchange procedure for a cosmetic problem....
2018-9-8
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 673862 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I honestly wouldn't send it back unless it's faulty.
It would probably pass in their "acceptable" categories. I also think because there isn't a gimbal clam like on the version 1 the gimbal was some wiggle room when it comes in contact the M2P gimbal cover.
I wouldn't be surprise that over time you'll see more of these. Just like what I'm seeing with the Mavic 1 and the spot where the clam touches the gimbal.
2018-9-9
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

Can you imagine how scrached up these Gimbals are going to in a couple of months just from taking off and putting on the cover if people aren't careful or get in a hurry ? We need a softer rubber Gimbal cover asap.
2018-9-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

IgOrdure Posted at 2018-9-8 23:12
Natalia, thank you for your investment.
Apart from these scratches, the drone seems to be working properly. I don't have the courage to embark on an exchange procedure for a cosmetic problem....

No worries. Thanks for your understanding and support. Have a nice day.
2018-9-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules