Anyone else worried about Transport Canada's upcoming rules?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andrewion
lvl.1

Canada

Hi,

I noticed that Transport Canada changed their webpage about flying UAVs yesterday, talking about how they plan to introduce new regulations in 2016 for aircraft less than 25kg. The exemption for non-commercial use seems to be going away, and the only exemptions they seem to want to keep are for model aircraft (without cameras - drones need not apply), under the ridiculous justification that they've been enjoying freedom for decades.

You can read all about it here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-recavi-uav-2265.htm inside the proposed changes section.

The Phantom 3 is under 2kg so we should be exempt from most of the annoying stuff, but I'm not that interested in getting a license or taking certified training as long as I'm being responsible and safe. I also resent the carve-out for model hobbyists... If the concern is that more people are putting stuff into the air and some of them are doing reckless and unsafe things, whether or not they have a camera or are a member of some hobby group shouldn't make a difference into what regulatory framework gets applied.

Anyone else feel like writing these guys to complain? Typically the government gets less than 50 responses to requests like this, so a few letters can make a big difference!

2015-5-29
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

google  CARAC Notice of Proposed Amendment Unmanned Air Vehicles nitice 2015-012
sounds like they are recommending a category for very small UAVs, with less restrictions
adding aircraft markings, changes to licencing, change in manufactures need to sign off
AND they are asking for input!
2015-5-29
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

Here is link to PDF       http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/NPA-APM/doc.aspx?id=10294
I wonder what your take is on this?
I'm thinking most changes are applied to commercial use  making it easier for very small operations
tougher on large ops
I personally don't mind good controls in the hopes that it makes for a safer enviroment and allows for a
proliferation of the sport,hobby or business.
2015-5-29
Use props
andrewion
lvl.1

Canada

jack1144 Posted at 2015-5-30 12:37
Here is link to PDF       http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/NPA-APM/doc.aspx?id=10294
I wonder w ...

Don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting that everyone should be able to do whatever they want at any time... I agree there should be some controls around what people do to keep us all safe.

I have specific concerns with 2 things:

1 - The carve-out for "model aircraft" on page 11, based on the idea that just because they've been doing it for decades they're somehow safer than everyone else and thus exempt. I think that if you're putting something remote controlled in the air, whether it's shaped like a vintage warplane or has an abstract functional shape like the Phantom shouldn't have any bearing on what regulations you're subject to. Same for whether or not you're a member of some club like MAAC. It's still a flying object that can crash into people, everyone should be subject to the same rules.

2 - That somehow the presence of a camera changes the use of the device and it might no longer be a hobby craft. They touch on this on page 11 a bit again, and the document in general seems to imply that having a camera means the device is used for "surveillance", which I don't think is true... Surveillance implies a certain aspect of watching, whereas I think most people really just want to see their space from a few hundred feet up.

I think the existing regulatory framework that was posted on the site last week was just fine, and struck a good balance. I'm not sure what problem Transport Canada is trying to solve here, but think their efforts could be better spent on solving real and actual issues like mass transit and transit infrastructure... I have a suspicion that even if they enact an updated framework, it still won't prevent idiots from crashing into things or doing otherwise stupid things. It'll just inconvenience those of us who are responsible.
2015-6-1
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

Cool. You sound like a good person with good reasoning.
I get that the modellers with MAAC have a good reputation for safety and they do police their membership.
I see how that might appear unfair, however I think they have strong representation and have done some lobbying to make sure they can continue.
I wouldn't mind a similar body representing the new people to the hobby.
I'm guessing TC is scrambling a bit to keep the skies safe and may make some over zealous decisions, but seems like they are not afraid to change to open things up to create an increase in the sport/hobby/commercial use. An example is the exemption issued last year regarding under 2kg UAV's.
So your right, we should keep an eye on their decisions, but I'm feeling pretty good about the way they are trying.
I'm considering trying to meet them to discuss this.
I'll post back if I do
Thanks
Many government agencies have no interest in change and just don't seem to care if their rules are good or bad for their people.
2015-6-2
Use props
ImmortalCulture
lvl.2

Canada

I like this proposal to be honest. There is no accountability right now. I work as a festival photographer and many times I've seen legit, insured, and licensed aerial photographers have to pull out, stop working, and leave the festival because a random rogue drone shows up and starts doing risky maneuvers and the legit fellas get spooked they will be blamed and charged. The only bit that makes me nervous is the stipulation about no mobile electronic device at control station......
2015-6-2
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

More discussion on this topic at this thread . . . http://forum.dji.com/thread-17112-1-1.html

Canadians should also check out this thread . . . http://forum.dji.com/thread-19852-1-1.html

2015-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules