9272 9 2018-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark1971
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95725 ft
United Kingdom

HI,

My question is, why is it that no matter what camera settings that i try whether in 4k, 2.7k, 1080p and at differing shutter speeds, frame rate, sharpness, etc... i seem to get very bad Moire and aliasing. The only thing I havent tried is filiming in 10bit as i can't as of yet do anything with it. Not that i think it'll make any difference to the issue.

Does anybody get these issues this much.

I've added a small sample to show the problme that appears by filming over a sports ground near to me with it's roof and running track which show the effects in action.
It seems to be the same amount of artifacting regardless style and settings.

It's Really frustrating.

2018-11-8
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I posted this too thst i find there is a lot of aliasing and moire, but i didnot get many reactions of people facing this issue. But it seems to be much more than mavic 1 or platinum. Its very irritating. I am not sure if dji can sort this out with a fw update .
Anyway i am solving this as follows:
1) not to film anything with potential aliasing

2) put the sharpness to -2 find this reducing it till almost none
3) put a gaussian blur on it in post ( put it around 1)
4) crop the aliasing part ,  that it is zoomed in, and the dancing lines are more seperated

2018-11-8
Use props
Mark1971
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95725 ft
United Kingdom

dronybaloney Posted at 11-8 12:43
I posted this too thst i find there is a lot of aliasing and moire, but i didnot get many reactions of people facing this issue. But it seems to be much more than mavic 1 or platinum. Its very irritating. I am not sure if dji can sort this out with a fw update .
Anyway i am solving this as follows:
1) not to film anything with potential aliasing

I haven't seen it with many other peoples videos so I was beginning to wonder if I might have sensor issue on my Mavic 2... Admittedly the footage I filmed is a tad extreme but shows the problem in various ways to show the point that I seem to have in almost all footage where building are involved.

I never had the issue as bad with my Mavic Pro.

Sadly even with trying to avoid potential aliasing it sill occurs as sometimes the angles of building cause it too. And I use it wedding filming at weddings.

I doubt FW will resolve this either but I am wondering if DJI know this occurs all the time or just in some cases like mine this much
2018-11-8
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Mark1971 Posted at 11-8 13:13
I haven't seen it with many other peoples videos so I was beginning to wonder if I might have sensor issue on my Mavic 2... Admittedly the footage I filmed is a tad extreme but shows the problem in various ways to show the point that I seem to have in almost all footage where building are involved.

I never had the issue as bad with my Mavic Pro.

Ther are quite a few threads about this, one sample here in this forum:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-170732-1-1.html

I actually did some trials over a sporting field similar to yours.
In NORMAL mode the effect is way stronger. If you shoot in D-LOG and do post-processing, which you are not going for at the moment, it'll be way reduced. But it won't be gone.
Still figuring this out myself. I'm not sure if it might be also an issue due to the rolling shutter effect.

Most important:
Always make sure shutter speed is double frame rate.

I have read somewhere about a built-in low pass filter. That apparently eliminates this moire effect for cameras meant for filming. But that can't be applied if these cameras are also meant for taking photos. I maybe wrong, Google will help.
It's an endless thing, you can spend days by finding out...

P.S.
Just found that post about low pass filters. That's about filming for broadcast but may help explaining the overall issue.
And it leads to a very expensive solution ;-)
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/how-to-remove-moiree-from-dji-cameras-for-broadcast-use.3638/

2018-11-8
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think we just have to live with it that aliasing and moire occurs more with the mp2 than mp1 .but i find the image much more clearer and dynamic than the footage of mp1 , which was sometimes a bit flat( which could ofcourse could be altered in post). But i filmed a buliding with style put all on 0. Could see moire on the roof . Then i did the same shot , putting th sharpness on -2 . The moire was gone . Ofcourse the image will be a bit more blur , but this is not noticable on tv screen. When i start shooting other things where no potential moire or aliasing occurs, then i change style back (sharpness etc) to 0
2018-11-8
Use props
Videopitt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1250 ft
United States

Whereas I like the Mavic Pro 2 for quick set-up and it does produce good still photos, I am finding that the video out of this thing is pretty much unusable due to the moire effect. Can't seem to eliminate it and my clients would balk. Tried all different camera settings with pretty much similar results. I will continue to use our other drones for video but I'm making a decision about whether to return the Mavic toy. I guess that's what I get for falling for buying a toy and trying to use it in a professional application.
2019-6-27
Use props
Scsiboy
New

Australia

Videopitt Posted at 6-27 09:54
Whereas I like the Mavic Pro 2 for quick set-up and it does produce good still photos, I am finding that the video out of this thing is pretty much unusable due to the moire effect. Can't seem to eliminate it and my clients would balk. Tried all different camera settings with pretty much similar results. I will continue to use our other drones for video but I'm making a decision about whether to return the Mavic toy. I guess that's what I get for falling for buying a toy and trying to use it in a professional application.

I have the same Aliasing issue with my M2P. I get dancing ants around buildings or any subject with edges. It's quite annoying as the image is just not stable. My Mavic 2 Pro was purchased October 2018. I wonder if anyone out thee has a later build tand can tel us if this problem still exists. I had a Mavic Pro 1 and it was one of the first few batches built. It had totally unacceptable moire and Aliasing in 1080 60P and DJI ignored it. Months later i checked out friends Mavic's and their units filmed without this issue. I sent mine in for repair and guess what, it came back and the problem was gone. Turns out it was a hardware issue.
So, i just don't trust DJI any more as i ended up paying for the repair. DJI do build great Drones but we have to be very very careful before investing in their products. They won't admit when there is a problem.
2019-11-23
Use props
mastix
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6659610 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I bought my mavic 2 pro at the end of 2019 and it has terrible Moiré. If you shoot a lot of cityscapes videos this drone is a disaster because of this issue.
2020-2-28
Use props
Thewoodyboy
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Same here, I bought my M2P towards the end of 2019 too. I hadn't really noticed too much until a couple of days ago when I filmed some real estate.

Lots of moire/aliasing when viewing the roof and fence lines on moving shots. I was filming at 1080p H265 at 25fps & shutter speed 50th sec. M2P settings; 'Custom' 0, -1, 0.

Interesting to hear about it being a possible hardware issue that was fixed. I'd like to see evidence of that, especially as mine is still under warranty.

Premiere Pro seems to have a partial fix for this in post, but not FCPX as far as I can see? Neat Video only seems to remove / reduce 'noise' which they say is completely different to moire.
2020-3-18
Use props
mastix
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6659610 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I hope the next one they put an antialias filter. The luminance moire is nearly impossible to remove. Color moire is much easier to deal with. In any case DJI put a filter on the sensor. Sharpening is easy, dealing with moire is NOT.
2020-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules