o(^-^)o
mertsendag
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88770 ft
Turkey

Hi folks,

I was wondering what would happen in the following case:
• Spark has GPS lock and records home point successfully before takeoff
• While in the air, it loses quality GPS signal and enters OPTI mode (which actually does happen)

Will it still be able to return to home point?
If not, doesn't this make flying dangerous as in case of GPS signal loss, we are going down? In that case, RTH is good only in cases of RC connection loss?

Regards
2019-2-1
Use props
Bsr387
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7221 ft
Turkey

Hello there, sparky can't go homepoint coordinates without seeing "current position" via the GPS. Actually ı guess no drone could do that. And yes it is always dangerous to fly in ATTI mode cause fly aways most of the time.
2019-2-1
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Hi,

How should the drone come back to a home point, if it doesn't even know where it is heading after an IMU failure?
In almost all the cases with the Spark flyaways it is technically not a loss of GPS reception, but an IMU problem, which results in all sorts of error messages like compass errors, GPS signal losses, yaw errors and so on. DJI should really correct this annoying problem.

If you want to do some ATTI mode training yourself and see how Sparky behaves then, see this thread.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-2-1
Use props
mertsendag
lvl.2
Turkey

Wolferl Posted at 2-1 04:45
Hi,

How should the drone come back to a home point, if it doesn't even know where it is heading after an IMU failure?

Does this mean that if I lose RC connection somehow, and the aircraft loses GPS signal, there is no way for it to come back?
2019-2-1
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

that is correct.
2019-2-1
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

mertsendag Posted at 2-1 05:13
Does this mean that if I lose RC connection somehow, and the aircraft loses GPS signal, there is no way for it to come back?

Exactly.
If you lose GPS reception/fix -> you're screwed.
If you get compass errors -> you're screwed.
If you get yaw errors -> you're screwed.

If any of that happens, you'll need to pilot your Spark home in ATTI mode. That's why I think everybody should be able to that.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-2-1
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

no It can't go back to home point if it doesn't know where it is. If you doesn't have gps the drone doesn't know where it is.
2019-2-1
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

On it's own, no way....
Reasonable skilled pilot should be able to bring it back with ease.
2019-2-1
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

That's why you should keep your drone within your line of sight.
2019-2-1
Use props
mertsendag
lvl.2
Turkey

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-1 06:50
On it's own, no way....
Reasonable skilled pilot should be able to bring it back with ease.

How so? If aircraft disconnects (no RC) and loses GPS it is technically impossible to move it in any direction
2019-2-1
Use props
mertsendag
lvl.2
Turkey

Lysak2003 Posted at 2-1 06:56
That's why you should keep your drone within your line of sight.

Again, if aircraft disconnects (no RC) and loses GPS it will be impossible to move it in any direction even if you see it
2019-2-1
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

mertsendag Posted at 2-1 07:26
How so? If aircraft disconnects (no RC) and loses GPS it is technically impossible to move it in any direction

Yep, you have the point....
In my experience, full connection loss is very rare though.... And even so, you are usually able to restore it pretty quickly. Than usually video link restores and it's just GPS that takes ages to get proper fix.
2019-2-1
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

it will be a sad situation
2019-2-1
Use props
StetsonWatkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1871611 ft
United States

Good tips to consider when flying with a bad GPS signal. This has happened to me multiple times.
2019-2-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

darkfull1 Posted at 2-1 06:36
no It can't go back to home point if it doesn't know where it is. If you doesn't have gps the drone doesn't know where it is.

hi,

Not completely right. Most of the time GPS signals are OK but not used by the drone due to some other erorrs! (yaw, imu, speed calculation)

So the attitude indicator and compass does indicate the drone heading, so in ATTI you can use this to find your way manual back home.

Only with a 'good' compass error it is not possible to fly back (if out of sight) cause the GO 4 app screen will not give the correct information.

See this flight ; yaw errors so into ATTI mode, but GPS signals are OK (LAT LON data available).

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2019-2-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Again, if aircraft disconnects (no RC) and loses GPS it will be impossible to move it in any direction even if you see it

nope, see #15
2019-2-1
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

If you can't see your Spark, this would be correct. Even if you can see it, some training may be necessary before you can successfully guide it home.
2019-2-1
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

If the RC loses connection by the spark flying out of range, or if the RC battery dies or even if you point the  antennas down to the ground by mistake the  Spark will RTH as long as it does NOT lose GPS. Maybe you knew this but just wanted to be sure.  
2019-2-1
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

JJB* Posted at 2-1 12:27
hi,

Not completely right. Most of the time GPS signals are OK but not used by the drone due to some other erorrs! (yaw, imu, speed calculation)

Would be good if the drone could use these data. Fortunately (or not)  in my country you are required by law to always keep your drone in the line of sight shouldn't be a problem if I loose gps. Plus I'm kind of use to ATTI mode since I fly racing drones that don't have gps.
2019-2-3
Use props
jowlpost2
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Aircraft have flight recorders, and you can store a lot in a 120 gig sD card so I bet the major OEMS are already working on it.   The big problem in the countryside is chop shops using jammers.  If you lose contact with your drone in the same location you should repot it to the police.
1-30 10:37
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules