Phantom 3 Prop Guard Weight
5287 20 2015-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Helios
lvl.2
United States

Hi everyone,

I just bought one of those clip-removable prop guards for the Phantom 3. I have not installed them because they feel just so heavy. I measured the weight and it is 50-grams for the clip holders and about 100-grams for the four prop protectors.

Based on your experience, how much flight time is lost due to the added weight?

Thanks!
2015-6-12
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The official DJI prop guards are about 18.7 grams each. Think the non official detachable ones might weigh a little more because of the holder size.

Not sure what the exact flight time reduction will be ( not observed it that much ) because not only weight but also drag and flying style will have an effect. But with the official guards on the Phantom 3 will weigh 5.8% more. So ONLY taking weight increase into consideration and the advertised flight time of 23 minutes , flight time would reduce to 21.5 minutes.

If its such a concern, I would suggest only using the guards when you really need to ( flying indoord, close to buildings )

Hope that helps..

You can now buy the official DJI Hardshell Backpack for the Phantom 3
Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying
www.Phantom-Guide.co.uk - The Ultimate Phantom 3 Resource

2015-6-12
Use props
jacmac64
lvl.3

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-13 15:53
The official DJI prop guards are about 18.7 grams each. Think the non official detachable ones might ...

"I would suggest only using the guards when you really need to ( flying indoord, close to buildings )"

No offense sploode, but Isn't this like buying auto insurance only when you need it?

I have the removable prop guards and always have them on. I'm getting 16 to 18 min battery life.

2015-6-13
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jacmac64 Posted at 2015-6-13 19:13
"I would suggest only using the guards when you really need to ( flying indoord, close to buildin ...

No its not the same dude.. if I was just flying in wide open sky on a distance mission, why do I need the guards? They are known to cause stability issues in some circumstances so I would only use them when needed ( when there is a higher risk of clipping the props than usual ).

The guards are no "insurance". If they were NEEDED all the time they would come with the Phantom. If you always fly worried of clipping something then more practice is needed on your part I think.

Also I never said to remove the mounting for the detachable prop guards, just no need t use the guard themselces ALL the time..
2015-6-13
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

I use my quick release guards only when flying indoors or when I might be near people (at a safe distance). I'm not as concerned about flight time in those situations. General flights in the wide open spaces, no guards.Its personal preference, if you feel better with the guards on then thats just fine. There will be less flight time and a performance hit though. Also if you use quick release mounts,not all are good. some pop off or are moved easyly if you hit something and causing it to hit blades and result is crash. anyway. i found a set that fits very well and would take a good hit to come loose. i have a co worker who had a different kind that while flying indoors just bumped a wall and it tore off the guard and shattered the blade. Its best to screw them on directly but for those that have cases, thats a pain to remove them to put back in case and thats why I use a quick mount for the few times i need to us the guards.
2015-6-13
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

jacmac64 Posted at 2015-6-13 19:13
"I would suggest only using the guards when you really need to ( flying indoord, close to buildin ...

Jac,

I have to go with Splooge and P3P on this one. The protection provided by prop guards is most effective when flying in tight quarters, near people and during take-off and landing. I use them when conditions warrant. They're not just "removable" to fit in your bird in your case.

Jerry
2015-6-13
Use props
jacmac64
lvl.3

United States

I will always fly with mine on. My props are still intact because I had them on. Yes there are areas that have a greater chance of prop damage and crashes. But things happen when you least expect them. If you could always predict problems nothing bad would ever happen.

I've had 30 flights with mine all in the same area. It was my second or third flight that I had let the battery run down a little to far. As i was going in, almost home, my drone went into auto land. It descended straight down into an apple tree. Clipped a branch an fell about 7 feet to the ground. The to rear guards broke in to pieces, this was the only damage. I super glued them back together and there good as new.

Have you ever heard "I've never had a problem except that one time"? Well it's that one time that can kill your Phantom. If a minute or two lose of battery life allows me to continue to fly then it's worth it.

You're welcome to your opinion and I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but it's a smart choice to use them. I've seen pictures on this forum of crashed drones that might of survived if they had guards.

2015-6-13
Use props
Helios
lvl.2
United States

Thank you all. The only issue is that the prop holders already weight 50g, but that should not have too much impact.

By the way, these are the ones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25176754 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
2015-6-13
Use props
jacmac64
lvl.3

United States

Looks the same as the ones i have.Maybe just different brand.

Prop Guards
2015-6-13
Use props
Helios
lvl.2
United States

jacmac64 Posted at 2015-6-14 00:19
Looks the same as the ones i have.Maybe just different brand.

Prop Guards

Do you notice any degraded flight performance? Flight time?
2015-6-13
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Helios,

I have the same snap-on prop guards with the quick-connect adapters permanently attached to each prop with four screws.  I use them on my Phantom 2 V+ and my new Phantom 3 on EVERY flight primarily because they improve my ability to see the aircraft at distance (maintain LOS). Also, if God forbid, someone ever gets too close to propellers, the prop guards provide some protection from injury.

I typically fly both my Phantom 2 V+ and my Phantom 3 (P3) 15-17 minutes before landing.  Like any good pilot, I always leave a little battery reserve in the tank.  I have never had any problems with instability due to the presence of the prop guards - even flying in 15 mph winds and descending straight down at full negative stick from heights of 400 feet.

Also, although there have been some concerns about the mounting screws being too long for the P3, I screwed each quick-connect adapter on to each P3 prop arm carefully - not overdoing it on the torque - and going around the four screws sequentially tighteneing a little at a time - sort of like tightening lug nuts on a car wheel.  I check for freedom of motor movement before every flight and have had no problems.
2015-6-13
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

just wish DJI would send the ones I ordered. lol
2015-6-13
Use props
jacmac64
lvl.3

United States

Helios
I also fly for 15 to 17 mins.

I've always had them on so I can't tell you if there is a performance difference.

2015-6-13
Use props
Helios
lvl.2
United States

Thank you all.
2015-6-13
Use props
jon.mcclay
lvl.1

United States

My max flight time was a slow flight with almost no maneuvers and no prop guards: 20 mins.

With guards I average 15-17 minutes. I've decided I'm ok losing those minutes to protect my p3.
2015-6-14
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

I bought AerialFreaks quick release……but have never used them because I found this bird to be so stable. If your bird falls 5 - 7 meters no guard will save it.
2015-6-14
Use props
douglas
lvl.1

United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-6-15 00:04
I bought AerialFreaks quick release……but have never used them because I found this bird to be so s ...

I bought these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25176592 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Which I think are the same one as the Summitlink ones on Amazon. I have to tell you that for me its a huge trade off. My battery life is almost 50% of that without them on. It also tends to drift more and I have to correct for it. Are all the prop guards like this? I also have to wonder with the decreased battery life if the motors are working overtime to compensate and wonder if they'll cause premature life on the motors. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Douglas
2015-7-13
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

So what's the supplied string that comes with them for, and do you need to use it?
2015-7-13
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

douglas Posted at 2015-7-14 09:37
I bought these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251765923312?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK ...

I bought the summit link quick release first but returned them because before I even put them on I snapped a guard on and had a nearly impossible time getting it apart. I came a cross AerialFreaks and liked the idea that I didn't have to remove motor screws. But as I said I bought them for nothing because I don't fly indoors or over people so I have never used them and probably never will. What you will really want to invest in is KillerRC camera/gimbal saver. It is the lightest and best in my opinion. Need to be careful which to buy because some claim to be a saver, but if it doesn't wrap around to front side of the pivot it won't stop separation.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-22989-1-1.html
I bought a 2nd P3P and am now waiting for the ribbon cable I ordered so I can get the 1st up and running again
2015-7-13
Use props
editfx
lvl.2

United States

As far as the  Summitlink quick connects, they can be difficult to separate if you attempt it while just holding them in your hands.
If the piece you attach permanently is screwed on they are very easily separated.
2015-7-15
Use props
douglas
lvl.1

United States

editfx Posted at 2015-7-16 01:08
As far as the  Summitlink quick connects, they can be difficult to separate if you attempt it while  ...

As far as gimbal savers go, I don't see spending that much with the additional weight when you can just get this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-G-2- ... hash=item3cff1d2591
2015-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules