Rough edges on propellers. Should flying be safe?
2553 14 2020-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nilanganray
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15259 ft
India

Hello,

New Mavic Mini and drone pilot here. So, I purchased the non-combo version because it was not available. I brought and after market prop guard set (original not available) and I happened to damage the rear props. One side only minor bruises and major damage on one side. So I replaced the props that came in the box. Now, it made me more conscious of the props.

I changed and flew for a while nearby and it was stable. I checked the props and noticed some have rough edges that are barely visible but you can feel it if you put your hands through it. I was able to get in on photo by using a torch.  You can barely see it in naked eye. https://imgur.com/a/ikoGryn

Can this be an issue? Also, I am not sure what is causing it because I didn't crash the drone, and its really new. Did I perhaps install it wrongly? Again, its only visible because I flashed the torch.

Also another question. I have another set of props that have a slight bruise on both. Although I have replaced them as a precaution, I am wondering if flying them could be safe as well or not. https://imgur.com/a/aH7ZxBo

Thanks for your help.

2020-10-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any prop damage should be replaced.
2020-10-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The props on the Mini are so flimsy and easily damaged and distorted, you'd be wise to replace any that give you cause for concern. Cheaper than replacing a crashed drone.
2020-10-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should definitely change them. Better safe than sorry.
2020-10-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep - change them
2020-10-25
Use props
SublimeQuad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30348 ft
United States

Those rough edges are stress concentrators that can lead to a catastrophic failure (e.g. prop break). Also, these sorts of defects result in vibration that can show up in your videos. The Mini camera is gimbal mounted so I suspect that will be minimal or non-existent but on my aerobatic quads, a less then perfect prop shows up as the infamous "jello" in the FPV goggles.

It's a good day to fly,
Michael
2020-10-25
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Props are far cheaper than a crashed drone.  Replacing anything suspect.

One thing I recommend is to download and examine the flight data logs.  Look to see if one prop is running faster than the others.  Good indication that there is a problem.  Best to look at a motionless hover in no wind, as moving or correcting for wind will skew the results.  Also note that on the Mini, the rear props run faster than the front, but left vs right should be about the same.  For example I recently found that my right rear was running between 1500 and 3000 RPM faster than the left rear.  Replaced that prop pair and much better now.  Looking at the old props, I can't see anything wrong - but the performance data says otherwise...
2020-10-25
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

I check my blades often.
I watch closely after takeoff for drifting and descending . I have noticed if their is a different tone in sound then I usually find a nick
I know I’ll get flack for this.
I lightly run my finger along the leading edge and also on the bottom out-word. I I feel any burs I use a fingernail emery board and remove any burs or bumps.
Right now one of my blades has a nick in it and removed any burrs from it.
I have in the past done this to RC airplane props. .  I just use common sense .
I wouldn’t do this but I seen once when someone clipped a tree and broke half a blade off and flew a few hundred feel back home. He had no choice and had to fly it or looses it.
So I don’t get excited about a nick or  event a small chunk missing.
If one is bad just change them out in pairs. You don’t want to damage the motor.
Doug
2020-10-25
Use props
mark117h
Second Officer
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

Hi nilanganray,
I would say to change the props out, i had a liitle crash at my mums the other day inside the flat, my back props clipped the skirting boards and caused them to get bumps and rough edges, when i got home i got the Mavic Mini in the air in the flat and the drone seemed to be vibrating pretty badly to be honest, also forgot to add that whilst at my mums after the crash i used a little piece of really fine sand paper to lightly rub out the bumps, it made no difference when i re-tried flying it back home in the flat, it seemed like the vibrations was real bad and was making the drone drift a little here and there, so for how much these drones can cost, it isnt really worth it if you do have any spare props lying around then i would definately say to replace the damaged ones when you get time, it is worth it as my Mavic Mini is now flying stable as it originally did, the mad thing is that the crash at my mums was my first real crash with the Mavic Mini, you just have to replace the props and learn from the experience.
Peace Out
Mark

EDIT :
Pressed enter in quick reply which posted only 'Hi nilanganray', hence reason for edit to finish what i was saying.

2020-10-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone even looked at the photos the OP posted? I can't see anything of concern. I see absolutely nothing in the first one and only a tiny scuff(?) on the second one.
2020-10-25
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

"You can barely see it in naked eye."

That does look like very minor damage.

If it was a crack, I'd worry about the crack growing while in flight and possible breaking off the blade.  But a minor scuff like this is unlikely to have much effect.

If you are at all worried whether the rough edges have any effect on prop performance, you should do a Hover Test and plot your Motor Speeds as described at the end of this thread.

forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=227318

During hover with healthy props, all of the motors should be turning at equal speed of about 9600 rpm.

2020-10-25
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

K6CCC Posted at 10-25 08:45
Props are far cheaper than a crashed drone.  Replacing anything suspect.

One thing I recommend is to download and examine the flight data logs.  Look to see if one prop is running faster than the others.  Good indication that there is a problem.  Best to look at a motionless hover in no wind, as moving or correcting for wind will skew the results.  Also note that on the Mini, the rear props run faster than the front, but left vs right should be about the same.  For example I recently found that my right rear was running between 1500 and 3000 RPM faster than the left rear.  Replaced that prop pair and much better now.  Looking at the old props, I can't see anything wrong - but the performance data says otherwise...

" on the Mini, the rear props run faster than the front, but left vs right should be about the same.  For example I recently found that my right rear was running between 1500 and 3000 RPM faster than the left rear."

With healthy new propeller blades, there is no reason for the rear motors to be running faster than the fronts.

As long as you are doing the hover test indoors with no interference from wind, ALL of the motors should be turning at near equal speed of 9600 rpm.

EqualAvg9600rpm.jpg
2020-10-25
Use props
Ruzhye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795640 ft
United States

Better safe than sorry, better to replace them.
2020-10-25
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Short answer, yes it's safe. You appear to have minimal damage. It's not going to affect the drone in a way that is dangerous with minimal damage to the props like that.

Is it best to replace the props where any damage is present? Yes. Especially on the Mavic Mini. The props are quite flimsy so any kind of deformity would affect their overall performance. Your motors may have to work harder to do the same thing to keep your drone in the air.
2020-10-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there nilanganray. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Before each flight, it is necessary to check the propellers for cracks, wear, warp, corrosion, and loose screws. If any of these conditions are present, the propellers should be replaced. In addition, I will post a DJI Forum threads created by SCoutts on DJI Mavic Mini Propellers - Inspect, Remove and Install ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-207043-1-1.html ) . Thank and fly safe always.  
2020-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules