Number of satellites?
3754 25 2015-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
srtgray
lvl.2

Switzerland

Hello all,

I'm now on my second P2 following a disastrous fly-away a few weeks ago (there is another thread about it somewhere).  The "new" one (actually an ex-demo Vision+ v2, rather than  the V3 we had originally bought) is also on firmware 3.14, and again I am only getting 6 satellites locked, at most 8.  Is this common to everyone?  Did you get more with the previous firmware?

2015-6-30
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

It all depends on where you are and what surrounds you, keep out in the open well away from buildings and trees and you should get at least 9 sats most of the time.
I usually get between 9 and 11 sats with my V+ V2 when flying out in the open country.
7 Should be the minimum for safe take-off and recording of home point.
2015-6-30
Use props
srtgray
lvl.2

Switzerland

Hmm.  I've been flying in fairly tight fields - i.e. they have trees or buildings on the periphery, but still a good ten or twenty metres away.  It's quite hard to find wide open spaces here in the Alps, but I'll see what I can do about that and report back.
2015-6-30
Use props
srtgray
lvl.2

Switzerland

OK, here is where I am launching from (the middle of the dark green space in line with the far house):

And as you can see, I only have 6 satellites at launch

In fact, even after five or six minutes flying, I still only have 6 satellites

Now, I really don't think that the view of the sky is that restricted, so why aren't I getting more satellites?  BTW, the pylon in the first picture is a ski lift, not electricity.
2015-7-1
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

If you keep getting a low number of satellites, hate to do it on a new machine but may be necessary. Their is a mod that you can do by opening the shell and putting a copper or foil backed tape in the top over the GPS module. That usually picked up 2 more satellites. You can look on you tube under Phantom 2 GPS mod and view the video on it. It helps in environments where there are a low. Umber of sattelites being picked up. On eBay you can find a pre cut foil reflector that's easy to install. It's around $14.00. You may also try to see how many you connect with on another day. Sometimes get a lower number when solar activity is higher. Look at  www.uavforecast.com and you will see how many satellites are normally available on a given day. Enjoy flying!
2015-7-1
Use props
srtgray
lvl.2

Switzerland

I agree about solar activity, but I had the same issue in the same places a month ago.
2015-7-1
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

srtgray, here are some things commonly done to increase the satellite count:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#PreventLossofSatellitesV+

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-7-1
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

I tried the moving the cable below the sticky patch and it didn't make a difference.  So I've ordered the copper foil from Amazon can't go wrong at nearly 4euros.
2015-7-1
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

talk2t_c Posted at 2015-7-2 05:38
I tried the moving the cable below the sticky patch and it didn't make a difference.  So I've ordere ...

I would just go ahead and upgrade the antenna disk to 4mm  while you have it open to do the foil.

the added cost is minimal and payback very real.

I have done both to both my p2 's and well worth it.
2015-7-1
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-7-2 09:00
I would just go ahead and upgrade the antenna disk to 4mm  while you have it open to do the foil.  ...

+1000
Get a few from digi-key to cover the delivery cost.

I have the foil mod on the first gen vision plus and that increased the sat count to 1. I then did the 4mm ceramic puck upgrade and that gave me an additional sat. It also locks to sats real quick and I get a min of 10 and 14 at max.

2015-7-1
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

I have a P2V 2.1 and I was able to get 9+ Satelites in the woods with trees overhead. 11-12 in open areas. I live in the SE part of USA.
2015-7-2
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-7-2 12:15
+1000
Get a few from digi-key to cover the delivery cost.

Have you got the link to the digi-key with the product number?

Thanks.
2015-7-2
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-7-2 09:00
I would just go ahead and upgrade the antenna disk to 4mm  while you have it open to do the foil.  ...

Thanks for this.
2015-7-2
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

talk2t_c Posted at 2015-7-2 20:46

Thanks.

part # 931-1126-nd   digikey.com

also search old posts for you tube video on how to do.

2015-7-2
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-7-2 22:30
part # 931-1126-nd   digikey.com

also search old posts for you tube video on how to do.

and this will work on a Phantom 2 Vision?

Thanks
2015-7-4
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

talk2t_c Posted at 2015-7-4 21:54
and this will work on a Phantom 2 Vision?

Thanks

gps is same on all phantom 2's
2015-7-4
Use props
JML
New

Canada

talk2t_c Posted at 2015-7-2 20:46

Thanks.

taoglas
gp.1575.25.4.A.02
2015-7-6
Use props
espen.gundersen
lvl.1

Norway

Hey.
I have tried in another post but i`m trying here as well.

I resently baught a GPS module (new) because the other one didn`t get any satalites and was damaged.

But when I get the GPS module and connect it I just get firmware 0.0.0.0 and hardware 0.0.0.0. Even tought i try to hard reset it. When i Plug in the old one he can read out the software number. Have I baught the and wrong one? It´s seems completely the same. Or it is something else that wrong?
2015-7-7
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

If you tell us the model and version of your Phantom, and the details of the new GPS module you bought, then someone might be able to help you.
If you can list all the parts you replaced after your crash that might help as well.
What exactly is a "hard reset" sounds very dodgy.
What main firmware have you installed ?
The more details you can give us the more chance you have of someone coming up with a solution.
2015-7-7
Use props
srtgray
lvl.2

Switzerland

I checked with the GPS in my car (which has an external antenna), and that only gets 8 satellites.  I just think we don't have that many above us here.
2015-7-7
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

srtgray Posted at 2015-7-8 14:36
I checked with the GPS in my car (which has an external antenna), and that only gets 8 satellites.   ...

The number of Satellites available at a given location is not constant so you may get different numbers depending on day and time as well as unobstructed view angle to the surrounding horizon.

http://www.calsky.com/cs.cgi/Satellites/12?obs=27550127550876
2015-7-8
Use props
espen.gundersen
lvl.1

Norway

Hey.
I Haven`t realy changed any part but only changed to the same. But i have Changed:
The main board.
The Brain.
The engines.
The receiver.

And now the GPS. But noticed one thing today.The Gps module I have you have to connect the Compass in the Gps module, instead of going in to the main card. Than I get live in the GPS, but than my Gimbal is dying (H4-3D). When i than connect the compass to the earlier position (on the main card) than the Gimbal is working, but not the GPS.
I have a DJI Phantom 2 Vision + but i have bought this GPS:

But shud it be this for everything to work?

I have a DJI Phantom 2 Vision + with a Quickrelease Zenmuse H4-3d gimbal. Firmware is 3.14 on the MC.
2015-7-8
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

This Post describes the same problem and it seems that you have the wrong GPS unit for the V+.
2015-7-8
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

espen.gundersen Posted at 2015-7-9 00:42
Hey.
I Haven`t realy changed any part but only changed to the same. But i have Changed:
The main boa ...

That\s the P2 Vision GPS which won't work if the compass is connected to the main board.
2015-7-8
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

So I ordered my antenna gps patch tiles (4) from Digi-Key and it took just 3 days to to me in the south of France.  It was delayed slightly because I put the wrong sort code on, but my fault.  Still USA to France - very good.

So if you guys want some this is the place to go.  I will install later when my copper sheild arrives.
2015-7-10
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

I think they are still mining for the copper - it's a long time to wait.  
2015-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules