1622 21 2021-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Zwa3Lo8mBxkF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 258323 ft
Greece

Greetings everyone!

I have a new DJI Mini 2 drone, which has stayed in the case for more than 10 days straight. Today I checked the batteries and they were still at maximum capacity (all 4 lights showing). I even popped them in my drone to see the exact battery levels and they where around 91-93%. In the manual it said that the batteries will discharge themselves after a period of 5 days of inactivity. What is happening here ? Should I be worried of the longevity of my batteries if they stay fully charged for ever? The drone firmware is the latest 01.02.0100 (although I am not using the latest app - still waiting to be provided through the Play store).

Could someone provide info on this issue? Thank you very much!

Best regards,
George

2021-1-17
Use props
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5883 ft
Canada

I have the same problem.  Curious to see if there is a pattern.  When you say they have stayed in the case, do you mean the rapid charger or in the carry bag?  (for me, I mean the former)
2021-1-17
Use props
djiuser_Zwa3Lo8mBxkF
lvl.1
Greece

fans42c8019f Posted at 1-17 11:32
I have the same problem.  Curious to see if there is a pattern.  When you say they have stayed in the case, do you mean the rapid charger or in the carry bag?  (for me, I mean the former)

I mean in the charging hub that comes with the fly more combo. I should have written this better. Thanks! Now just as an experiment, I have left one battery inside the drone and the remaining two are in the charging hub. Wii check again after 6-7 days to see if there is any change (perhaps the one in the drone will discharge and the others won't).
2021-1-17
Use props
Thorby67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1010 ft
Australia

Just checked mine been in the charge hub for seven days with no usage and done the same. Sitting now at 95% this is weird
2021-1-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there George. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given. The DJI Mini 2 has an Auto-Discharging Function to prevent swelling. The battery automatically discharges to approximately 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day, and automatically discharges to approximately 72% of the battery level when it is idle for five days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. In addition I will post a DJI Forum link with regards to this matter as well. Thank you.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-233363-1-1.html
2021-1-17
Use props
Skynet5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20253 ft
United Kingdom

If this forum changed its forum software, it's a bit rubbish, and the DJI staffers that frequent the forum were not performance reviewed based on the number of posts they make, it might actually be alright here.

2021-1-18
Use props
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-17 20:59
Hello there George. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given. The DJI Mini 2 has an Auto-Discharging Function to prevent swelling. The battery automatically discharges to approximately 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day, and automatically discharges to approximately 72% of the battery level when it is idle for five days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. In addition I will post a DJI Forum link with regards to this matter as well. Thank you.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-233363-1-1.html

DJI Stephen - we know...the issue is that they aren’t discharging.  More information on the conditions that need to be met for this discharge to work would be appreciated, rather than just repeating the text from the manual.

Also, the link you posted is broken.
Thanks!
2021-1-18
Use props
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Canada

Based on the wording that was repeated by DJI Stephen, I’m wondering if only the battery in the Mini discharges and not those outside of the mini.
2021-1-18
Use props
djiuser_Zwa3Lo8mBxkF
lvl.1
Greece

fans42c8019f Posted at 1-18 06:16
Based on the wording that was repeated by DJI Stephen, I’m wondering if only the battery in the Mini discharges and not those outside of the mini.

fans42c8019f I am conducting this experiment right now! I have left one battery inside the drone and will come back after 6 days with info on this. Perhaps you should do the same so we can confirm the results of the experiment....since this seems to be a widespread issue and the reply from Stephen was not helpful at all as you pointed out I believe this will be useful.
2021-1-18
Use props
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Canada

djiuser_Zwa3Lo8mBxkF Posted at 1-18 06:32
fans42c8019f I am conducting this experiment right now!  I have left one battery inside the drone and will come back after 6 days with info on this. Perhaps you should do the same so we can confirm the results of the experiment....since this seems to be a widespread issue and the reply from Stephen was not helpful at all as you pointed out I believe this will be useful.

Already on it!

My plan:

- Charge all 3 batteries to 100%
- Put one in Drone; leave one in charger; take one out completely.
- Wait x days.
- Insert all in charger and compare levels.
2021-1-18
Use props
djiuser_Zwa3Lo8mBxkF
lvl.1
Greece

fans42c8019f Posted at 1-18 06:50
Already on it!

My plan:

Great! I see you are a man of science!
OK let's return here after 6 days to share our results. Since I am living in Greece, if we have the same problem it will be a widespread issue, that goes beyond regions, and so we can alert DJI to it.
2021-1-18
Use props
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Canada

djiuser_Zwa3Lo8mBxkF Posted at 1-18 09:07
Great! I see you are a man of science!  
OK let's return here after 6 days to share our results. Since I am living in Greece, if we have the same problem it will be a widespread issue, that goes beyond regions, and so we can alert DJI to it.

Not of science, but perhaps of common sense <hehe>.  But seriously, I’ve managed my fair share of hardware/software development / QE projects so troubleshooting isn’t new to me.
2021-1-18
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

After 5 days my batteries were still 98% discharge function is not working as DJI image it is
2021-1-18
Use props
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Canada

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-18 09:26
After 5 days my batteries were still 98% discharge function is not working as DJI image it is

Were your batteries also installed in the charger or removed from it?  What about the battery left in the Mini 2 itself?

I suspect / my theory is that only the battery inside the Mini will discharge to the advertised levels based on the text, "The DJI Mini 2 has an Auto-Discharging Function to prevent swelling.". Otherwise, it would say the batteries or charger have an auto-discharging function.
2021-1-18
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

fans42c8019f Posted at 1-18 09:27
Were your batteries also installed in the charger or removed from it?  What about the battery left in the Mini 2 itself?

I suspect / my theory is that only the battery inside the Mini will discharge to the advertised levels based on the text, "The DJI Mini 2 has an Auto-Discharging Function to prevent swelling.". Otherwise, it would say the batteries or charger have an auto-discharging function.

One was in the hub, the other was in the Mini 2 (3rd battery was in the hub at 52%.. which is what I normally store them at).  Given that it mentions the battery warming up I would expect the function to be internal to the battery.
2021-1-18
Use props
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Canada

Ok something is definitely amiss.  After 5 days of no use on a full charge, here are the numbers:

Battery 1 (out of drone): 95% / 4 solid lights on both charger and drone
Battery 2 (in charger): 95% / 4 solid lights on both charger and drone
Battery 3 (in drone): 98% / 4 solid lights on both charger and drone

All are new, and all are updated to latest firmware.

It’s possible that Battery 3 shows more charge in the drone because it had never been used (vs the other two which has both been used once each).  However, the fact that the charge is still in the high 90s / 4 full LEDS for each battery proves that the expected behaviour that has been communicated by DJI and others is not the realized behaviour, and further investigation on DJI’s side is warranted.
2021-1-23
Use props
Skynet5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20253 ft
United Kingdom

A bit annoying.  Don't worry a DJI staffer will be along in a minute to point you at the manual.

Still I find it easy to simply use the battery and charge them up to 2 plus 1 flashing so no great issue.   
2021-1-23
Use props
Geeforce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30128 ft
Netherlands

Same here. 92% after many days.  Not sure if  that's a problem, I mean why should they discharge to 72%, just some percent looks good to me.
2021-1-23
Use props
AussieDronePilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1942792 ft
Australia

I don't fly everyday but when I do go flying (maybe five or so days in between flights), the battery in all three (have the Fly More pack) were around 96%. There was a gap of just over a week between flights in December and again the battery was 95%.
2021-1-23
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

fans42c8019f Posted at 1-23 07:51
Ok something is definitely amiss.  After 5 days of no use on a full charge, here are the numbers:

Battery 1 (out of drone): 95% / 4 solid lights on both charger and drone

Did You check batteries in the drone -  I read somewhere that they discharge cells uneven -  might be one cell is lower then the other?
2021-1-23
Use props
djiuser_xpyzjafEybx4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3529747 ft
Italy

For me, the battery in the drone discharges to 75% after 6 days,
it is then better to recharge the battery to 75% or to fully charge it to 100% before flying, so as not to shorten the battery life.

battery off drone 95% after six days. I'll discharge more in the drone.

2021-1-24
Use props
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Canada

alex_markov Posted at 1-23 20:40
Did You check batteries in the drone -  I read somewhere that they discharge cells uneven -  might be one cell is lower then the other?

I got the percentages by inserting them in the drone and getting the info from the Fly app.

the rest of the method is clearly documented.
2021-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules