Battery button does not work while in flight
459 8 2021-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
edurenye2
lvl.1
Spain

Will seem like a weird thing to do, but I was in the middle of powder snow with no place where I could land the drone other than walking to the top of the montain again. And I tried to land the drone on top of my jacket, but the drone did not wanna land there, at the moment I did not know that I could change the 'emergency stop' option to anytime, so that was not an option, now I know that. But at that moment the only way to proced I though of was to catch the drone with my hand and try to stop the drone using the battery button, but that button did not work during flight, finally I just remved the battery, luckily my fingers are still intact (there is enough space for my fingers there).
But I think doing a short and a long press to the battery button should trigger a shut down no matter if the drone is fliyng or not, even having the emergency stop, there is no way to be catching the drone with the hand and trigger the emergency stop at the same time if you are alone. I hope I don't need to do this again (I bought a special landing platform now, which I really remomend doing), but maybe someone else find himself in this situation.
2021-3-31
Use props
fansb451a2cf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59229 ft

Greece

Hand catching must be done from the bottom of the drone ,need practice and (youtube videos).After catching, the drone has to be turned to the side,this way motors shut down..
2021-3-31
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144649 ft
United States

Once you hand catch it, which I do not recommend, hold the throttle stick (left stick, mode 2) down all the way for a few seconds and the motors will shut off. Don't tip the drone. I know that will work but props are sharp and "stuff" can happen.
2021-3-31
Use props
Djimaniac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5821801 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ive been hand catching my drones for years......i have never tipped them....i always hold left stick down with my palm flat under the drone, and when it get close to my hand landing,  i close my fingers gripping the drone untill it shuts off. ....make sense?
2021-3-31
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Some people hand catch and tilt the drone 90 degrees which also stops the motors.   I like just using the method as described above...using my left hand on the control and thumb down on the control stick, I catch the MA2 from below and keep holding the control stick back until the motors stop.  As the MA2 approaches your hand it will initially bump back up a little but with continued back stick it will then settle.  There are numerous YouTube videos on the technique...just search drone hand landing.  If it's windy, I wear thin driver/gardener's gloves...just in case.
2021-3-31
Use props
nikerman71
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59229 ft

Greece

Rustic17 Posted at 3-31 10:50
Some people hand catch and tilt the drone 90 degrees which also stops the motors.   I like just using the method as described above...using my left hand on the control and thumb down on the control stick, I catch the MA2 from below and keep holding the control stick back until the motors stop.  As the MA2 approaches your hand it will initially bump back up a little but with continued back stick it will then settle.  There are numerous YouTube videos on the technique...just search drone hand landing.  If it's windy, I wear thin driver/gardener's gloves...just in case.

I always hand landing my drones I was doing this way also with my P3,the most of the times I shut down motors with left stick down,but it is useful someone to knows that tilting 90 degrees is also shutting down the motors, which I often do just for practice.Another useful tip for me is to have drone's back in front of me and little higher from my head.
2021-3-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there edurenye2. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. In addition to this I will post a DJI Forum post on how to hand catch DJI drones. Thank you.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-192293-1-1.html
2021-3-31
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

This happens when you try to catch it from above (kept MA2 from slewing into my boat seat while landing ;-) Not that bad.

2021-3-31
Use props
edurenye2
lvl.1
Spain

Thanks for all the tips, I didn't know all that. BTW Maybe I didn't explain my self properly, I didn't catch it from above, I did catch it from below and with the other hand I removed the battery. If you don't know this tips, pressing the battery button, seems like the most intuitive action to me.

But tilting 90º you can do with one hand, I'll practice those methods in case I need to do that again, but as I said with the portable platform I shouldn't need to do that again.
2021-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules