Force compass calibration from DJI RC...
5160 33 2022-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

If you are of the opinion that the compass of the DJI RC needs to be recalibrated (because the compass display differs from what you are currently seeing in connection with the Mini 3 Pro), then you actually have no chance under "Settings " and then "Compass Calibration" to perform such calibration when "Compass normal" is claimed by the DJI RC...

But there is a solution:
If the DJI RC is switched on and you have already selected "Compass Calibration" under "Settings"...
...then hold a magnet (permanent magnet) or a strongly magnetic piece of iron on the lower edge of the DJI RC.
"Compass error" is immediately displayed, and you can now carry out the desired calibration in peace.

Of course, you should be away from such magnetic sources so that the calibration works well and correctly!

... but you can repeat it at any time if you are (still) dissatisfied!

2022-7-23
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Did anybody else test it...?   
2022-7-23
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I thought the new FW 0300 was supposed to fix this issues allowing us to calibrate the RC Compass.
2022-7-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

So this could also be a cause of indicators being off when flying. For instance rings on your finger will cause interference, steel watch on your arm could also be a cause of magnetic interference your phone close to RC . All of these could have an effect on the compass in the RC. But calibrating with all those Mag interference in place should change the parameters of the compass . If you were then to remove any of these items you compass would once again be askew.
2022-7-23
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Suren Posted at 7-23 13:45
I thought the new FW 0300 was supposed to fix this issues allowing us to calibrate the RC Compass.

The idea is this:
If the DJI RC "believes" that the compass has already been correctly calibrated, then this way you can still force it to perform a new calibration.  
You can "normally" only perform a calibration when the DJI RC itself notices that something is wrong with the compass...
So if accidentally calibrated in a "weak magnetic" environment, then the compass will not be able to work very accurately afterwards...
2022-7-23
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 7-23 15:06
So this could also be a cause of indicators being off when flying. For instance rings on your finger will cause interference, steel watch on your arm could also be a cause of magnetic interference your phone close to RC . All of these could have an effect on the compass in the RC. But calibrating with all those Mag interference in place should change the parameters of the compass . If you were then to remove any of these items you compass would once again be askew.

Hi hallmark007,
yes, that's what I meant!
However, in order to be able to recalibrate anyway (the DJI RC does not even offer this in such a case), you can use this "trick"...
2022-7-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did this the other day,  although I didnt see the error it did enable calibration one time,  before I was able to recalibrate any time I wanted.  
2022-7-24
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DAFlys Posted at 7-24 00:09
I did this the other day,  although I didnt see the error it did enable calibration one time,  before I was able to recalibrate any time I wanted.

Excuse me,
you can calibrate at any time, does the DJI RC wait for the corresponding movements until the "okay" appears...?
2022-7-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 7-24 01:59
Excuse me,
you can calibrate at any time, does the DJI RC wait for the corresponding movements until the "okay" appears...?

What I mean was previously I could run 6 calibrations,   Now it just jumps to fine unless I do the magnet trick and even then I can’t always do all the rotations before it’s done.  Once I’ve done one calibration it will just jump to done again until I get out the magnet.
2022-7-24
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DAFlys Posted at 7-24 02:15
What I mean was previously I could run 6 calibrations,   Now it just jumps to fine unless I do the magnet trick and even then I can’t always do all the rotations before it’s done.  Once I’ve done one calibration it will just jump to done again until I get out the magnet.

... I see.
Something about the "behaviour" of the DJI RC is constantly changing...
Every now and then "new FW"...
2022-7-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

frankymusik Posted at 7-23 08:04
Did anybody else test it...?

Nice trick and it does work Franky.  Thanks for sharing.  
2022-7-24
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-24 03:57
Nice trick and it does work Franky.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for testing, Downtown...      
2022-7-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

frankymusik Posted at 7-23 22:49
Hi hallmark007,
yes, that's what I meant!
However, in order to be able to recalibrate anyway (the DJI RC does not even offer this in such a case), you can use this "trick"...

Yes the trick works, but I’m just wondering on calibrating the compass of the RC you then go and put on your 400 gram steel watch, will this now throw the RC compass out of sync, and is this part of the reason some maybe seeing slight discrepancies in their compasses .
2022-7-24
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 7-24 04:27
Yes the trick works, but I’m just wondering on calibrating the compass of the RC you then go and put on your 400 gram steel watch, will this now throw the RC compass out of sync, and is this part of the reason some maybe seeing slight discrepancies in their compasses .

... I could very well imagine that, hallmark007...
2022-7-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

frankymusik Posted at 7-24 04:13
Thanks for testing, Downtown...

You're very welcome.    Hope you are having an enjoyable weekend Franky.  
2022-7-24
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Hello Downtown,
you are always so nice, so polite, how can i do this well...
I hope you are doing well and having a great time...
2022-7-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 7-24 02:27
... I see.
Something about the "behaviour" of the DJI RC is constantly changing...
Every now and then "new FW"...

Im sure within the week we will have a new firmware for it.
2022-7-24
Use props
andyhi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15036 ft
United States

I’ve been having issues with the green remote direction indicator not always displaying on the radar map since last weeks firmware update.   Also the drone indicator icon appeared to be a few degrees off at ~300 meters distance between drone and remote.  Checked several times today and still showing on the latest firmware.  I did get a rc compass calibration pop up while preparing to fly this afternoon but did not get a chance to actually perform the calibration before it said complete / prompt went away.   After a couple of flights, I went through the RC menus and found the manual calibration… but as some others stated above, it would immediately jump to calibration complete as soon as I clicked the start calibration button.   Found this post and used the magnet trick to get the remote to allow me to actually perform the calibration by rotating the remote 360 degrees both horizontally and vertically.  
2022-7-29
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

andyhi Posted at 7-29 18:42
I’ve been having issues with the green remote direction indicator not always displaying on the radar map since last weeks firmware update.   Also the drone indicator icon appeared to be a few degrees off at ~300 meters distance between drone and remote.  Checked several times today and still showing on the latest firmware.  I did get a rc compass calibration pop up while preparing to fly this afternoon but did not get a chance to actually perform the calibration before it said complete / prompt went away.   After a couple of flights, I went through the RC menus and found the manual calibration… but as some others stated above, it would immediately jump to calibration complete as soon as I clicked the start calibration button.   Found this post and used the magnet trick to get the remote to allow me to actually perform the calibration by rotating the remote 360 degrees both horizontally and vertically.

Did the calibration fix your arrow problem ?
2022-7-29
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

I’ve been having issues with the green remote direction indicator not always displaying on the radar map since last weeks firmware update.   Also the drone indicator icon appeared to be a few degrees off at ~300 meters distance between drone and remote.  Checked several times today and still showing on the latest firmware.  I did get a rc compass calibration pop up while preparing to fly this afternoon but did not get a chance to actually perform the calibration before it said complete / prompt went away.   After a couple of flights, I went through the RC menus and found the manual calibration… but as some others stated above, it would immediately jump to calibration complete as soon as I clicked the start calibration button.   Found this post and used the magnet trick to get the remote to allow me to actually perform the calibration by rotating the remote 360 degrees both horizontally and vertically.

You have to be very quick doing the calibration at present.

Any issues with the RC indicator on the radar should be rectified by resetting the RC to factory default, then doing a compass calibration on the RC, again, one quick front to back then the same side to side. If you do not finish, use the magnate trick to enable the compass error and try again.

I tested mine yesterday after doing this reset and mine is now 100% accurate and showing all the time, so far. I am out again this morning so I will see.
2022-7-29
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Please let us know if you succeed in this (simple) way...
2022-7-29
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 7-29 23:11
Please let us know if you succeed in this (simple) way...

Just checking in as i said i would, I checked mine today on a full flight and its 100% accurate now. This was after a factory reset an a calibration
2022-7-30
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DreamWorks Posted at 7-30 08:09
Just checking in as i said i would, I checked mine today on a full flight and its 100% accurate now. This was after a factory reset an a calibration

... a factory reset is (much) too complicated.  

It's more about the simple method of holding a magnet on the bottom edge of the DJI RC and then being able to calibrate immediately...
2022-7-30
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Netherlands

frankymusik Posted at 7-30 09:20
... a factory reset is (much) too complicated.  

It's more about the simple method of holding a magnet on the bottom edge of the DJI RC and then being able to calibrate immediately...

Nothing complicated about it, go to the correct page, click reset, JD ;)

For me, doing the calibration on its own failed to resolve the direction issue, i tried that at least 3 times, after the reset and one calibration later, it is now working great.
2022-7-30
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DreamWorks Posted at 7-30 16:17
Nothing complicated about it, go to the correct page, click reset, JD ;)

For me, doing the calibration on its own failed to resolve the direction issue, i tried that at least 3 times, after the reset and one calibration later, it is now working great.

... there is a misunderstanding!
The calibration is not executable in the "normal case" at all !!!
You can press the relevant button under "Settings" and then "Compass Calibration", but nothing happens at all !!!
Only when the DJI RC itself notices that the compass has a large deviation does it allow calibration using these steps...
So small deviations cannot be corrected at all !!!

--- Then you can do a reset, but a factory reset also erases a lot of other data...

--- or you take a magnet and after that you just have to do (very easy !) the said calibration.

This is the way...

2022-7-30
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 7-30 23:12
... there is a misunderstanding!
The calibration is not executable in the "normal case" at all !!!
You can press the relevant button under "Settings" and then "Compass Calibration", but nothing happens at all !!!

Perhaps you misunderstood, but you've pretty much said what i said
2022-7-31
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DreamWorks Posted at 7-31 03:56
Perhaps you misunderstood, but you've pretty much said what i said

...let's stop the recalibration conversation with you here.  
I'm only interested in the experiences of people who have tried using a magnet to "force" the calibration of the compass...
2022-7-31
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Netherlands

frankymusik Posted at 7-31 07:46
...let's stop the recalibration conversation with you here.  
I'm only interested in the experiences of people who have tried using a magnet to "force" the calibration of the compass...

As per reply #27 that youre on about

How do you think i managed to try it 3 times and then once more after the reset?

I had to use the magnate.

This whole post (thread) of yours is about using the magnate, I didn't think i had to keep mentioning the word magnate as I thought that it would have been implied due to the topic at hand and as it is impossible to calibrate without using one

You got the idea from someone else too from what I've read, yet you do not give credit where credit is due.
2022-7-31
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DreamWorks Posted at 7-31 19:22
As per reply #27 that youre on about

... what is important in this "procedure" for recalibrating the compass is to use the magnet when you are currently in "Settings" and "Compass Calibration" and you can still read "Compass normal" at the bottom of the display ...

Using the magnet without the DJI RC being powered on will not affect the accuracy of the compass reading in any way.
Likewise, it has no effect on the request by the DJI RC to recalibrate the compass if it is switched on but you are not on the described menu page in the "Settings"...!!!
Unless you are prompted by the DJI RC to calibrate the compass, you cannot force the DJI RC to recalibrate...

Even if the "Calibrate compass" button is always there, pressing it has no function unless the DJI RC has recognized that there is a fault...
Exactly this disturbance can be achieved with a magnet, as shown several times...

A friend of mine "told me" this "trick" a few weeks ago, but prior to DJI RC's FW .0300, this recalibration only worked for a few minutes, after which the known compass display glitching was back, so no permanent fix has been found...

As far as I know (and learned from others), the "Magnet Trick" works very reliably for everyone...
If you should have the need again, just try it again exactly according to the instructions I have described, then you may also be successful, like others...

I didn't understand your comments about the "credits". Should I commend you for managing to calibrate the compass in a different (more cumbersome) way...?

I read with you: "Germany", then "United Kingdom", then "Netherlands", etc. etc.
Does it automatically update your location when you log into the forum...???

2022-7-31
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

frankymusik Posted at 7-31 23:37
... what is important in this "procedure" for recalibrating the compass is to use the magnet when you are currently in "Settings" and "Compass Calibration" and you can still read "Compass normal" at the bottom of the display ...

Using the magnet without the DJI RC being powered on will not affect the accuracy of the compass reading in any way.

I know about the magnet idea, i was using it but as the focus of this thread was about using the magnate i didn't think i needed to keep saying the word magnet over and over, its just one less word to type when using the phone's browser.

A "friend" told you,, ok, well i cannot refute that but i can prove that someone else came up with it 1st on here as iI read it where 2 other members DAFlys and Bashy came up with the magnate idea and then a day or so later you post this, that's what i am referring to. I cannot find the 1st initial post where the conversation started, i think one of them was on about going somewhere where there was bad magnetic interference, but here are 2  posts that mention the magnet idea prior to you putting up your post, that's all i am referring to, credit should be given where credit is due is all.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-269721-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-269904-1-1.html
2022-8-1
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DreamWorks Posted at 8-1 00:55
I know about the magnet idea, i was using it but as the focus of this thread was about using the magnate i didn't think i needed to keep saying the word magnet over and over, its just one less word to type when using the phone's browser.

A "friend" told you,, ok, well i cannot refute that but i can prove that someone else came up with it 1st on here as iI read it where 2 other members DAFlys and Bashy came up with the magnate idea and then a day or so later you post this, that's what i am referring to. I cannot find the 1st initial post where the conversation started, i think one of them was on about going somewhere where there was bad magnetic interference, but here are 2  posts that mention the magnet idea prior to you putting up your post, that's all i am referring to, credit should be given where credit is due is all.

Oh yeah...!
You're right...

I didn't know that this topic has already been discussed here.
I'm sorry for that!

But I was so excited that calibration works again and again with this "little trick" that I wanted to let others do it too...
I don't have much time to read here in the forum, I only do that when I have a problem myself...
That's why I was so happy when I got the magnet tip from a friend, which didn't help at the time (before .0300). But with the appearance of the current FW that was a "great" workaround...

So it happened that I wrote this post (which is annoying for you) full of joy about the result...

I apologize again for the "intellectual theft" that you are now complaining about...

2022-8-1
Use props
djiuser_OPUoHfLWnJAR
lvl.1

Lithuania

This method works, I checked! Many thanks to the author for solving the problem. Just a tip. Do not use a strong magnet for recalibration. A decorative magnet placed on the refrigerator is sufficient.
2022-8-28
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_OPUoHfLWnJAR Posted at 8-28 02:59
This method works, I checked! Many thanks to the author for solving the problem. Just a tip. Do not use a strong magnet for recalibration. A decorative magnet placed on the refrigerator is sufficient.

2022-8-28
Use props
GravityRZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 71965 ft
Netherlands

DreamWorks Posted at 2022-7-31 19:22
As per reply #27 that youre on about

For me, doing the calibration on its own failed to resolve the direction issue, i tried that at least 3 times, after the reset and one calibration later, it is now working great.

what kind of reset did you do?

there are 3 options, which one did you use?
2023-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules