To Prop Guard or Not to Prop Guard
1437 18 2015-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chrroman
lvl.1
United States

Im thinking about installing some prop guards just to be safe and not put any holes in anyone or thing. Just curious - has anyone experienced reduced battery time, slower speeds or reduced manueverability with these things on? Not worried about the weight but more so the extra drag they may cause.  

2015-9-2
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've always flown with prop guards, flies just fine...
2015-9-2
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

i actually put some on my kids p3p today and flew it around. i did not notice any problems such as being wobbly, not responsive etc etc.
i am actually putting up a thread on  it, in 1 minute.
2015-9-2
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

go to the last reply there u will see the update if u dont wanna see the rest

http://forum.dji.com/thread-28738-1-1.html
2015-9-2
Use props
Damage01
New

United Kingdom

I too have always flown with prop guards. They have saved my P3 from damage on a couple of occasions.

The only downside is you see them on the top corner of videos if you fly fast. You just have to remember to drop the camera view a little compensate.
2015-9-2
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

When you add any item to your DJI3 it will induce additional drag and you will get reduced performance period.
2015-9-2
Use props
chrroman
lvl.1
United States

sweet! Thanks for the heads up!
2015-9-2
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Joe Blow Posted at 2015-9-3 07:17
When you add any item to your DJI3 it will induce additional drag and you will get reduced performan ...

in theory yes, but i can say this:first of all, i never had or have prop guards on mine. i put it on for my young kid. i flew it as i normally fly, like bat out of hell, and i could not not notice a lot of drop in performance. yes there was some in the way i was flying, but under normal circumstances and normal people, one would not notice any, IMO. specially since the P3 is mainly a photography platform and not an aerobatic one.i still wont put any on mine though, but cant see much negative points in using one. the only negative is giving one a false sense of security.
2015-9-2
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-3 08:07
in theory yes, but i can say this:first of all, i never had or have prop guards on mine. i put it  ...

Just to add my 2 cents, I have never flown with prop guards. They have to effect wind resistance, and the last thing I want is to reduce performance. Technically most prop problems are caused by one of two totally different things. The first is a tree that reaches out and grabs the bird as it fly's by. Had that happen to me. The second in a P3P at least, is accidentally using a CSC when landing. It is guaranteed to tip over the bird, and dig the props into the ground. I use the app landing icon. It uses the VPR system to bring the bird down safely and shut the motors off correctly. Just my thoughts.
2015-9-2
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

No noticeable difference when flying only draw back they do appear in image at high speed,a must for safety for indoor flight and in the vicinity of people.Have had clients request there use for indoor flight ie church interiors.Use onlyyyyyy dji approved prop guards never compromise your craft.
2015-9-3
Use props
sdavis1974
lvl.2
Flight distance : 288422 ft
United States

Whats a good travel case that actually fits with the guards on? I have the DJI soft backpack and theres no way to use it with props or guards on....
2015-9-3
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

sdavis1974 Posted at 2015-9-3 23:07
Whats a good travel case that actually fits with the guards on? I have the DJI soft backpack and the ...

After extensive research that I've done on backpacks over the months, there is ONLY 1 case that fits with prop guards on:
http://www.amazon.com/Koozam-Bac ... 4GHVNHDH9HACM1BMPNG

I personally use the removable prop guards and LOVE them....only thing you need to keep in mind is some cases need the protective foam slightly modified with a razor to fit the pieces that remains on the copter  when the guards are removed:
http://www.amazon.com/Summitlink ... WHEFCP3FYTR23M5VD8C

Why do I like using guards?:
1) Piece of mind
2) Have also tipped a couple times on landing and this not only saved the props, but back pressure on the spinning motor and potential flipping of the copter on the ground with moving props
3) I have Orange on the front and black on the rear - this makes it much easier when using viewing the phantom with the naked eye to see which way it is pointing
4) Your copter is 'larger' in the sky and you can see it from much further distances
5) The drone looks pretty bada$$ when it is high above the ground flying (my neighbor's words)

As for what cases did I finally settle on after all my research?  The following:
Yellow Hard case:  http://microraptorcases.com/coll ... t-the-dji-phantom-3

Military Quality backpack:  http://goprofessionalcases.com/s ... tom-3-backpack.html
2015-9-3
Use props
chrroman
lvl.1
United States

I got the thinktank backpack but now after seeing your post I think I may return it and get that military backpack. The thinktank is cool and very spacious but its so boxy and huge. I feel like I'm walking around with a fridge on my back. Same price too as that GPC.
2015-9-3
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

chrroman Posted at 2015-9-4 02:59
I got the thinktank backpack but now after seeing your post I think I may return it and get that mil ...

I absolutely LOVE the GPC backpack...tons of pockets, military water resistant, sturdy seams....it quite literally is the 5.11 RUSH 72 military spec backpack with the foam insert that fits the Phantom 3 an accessories.

Now, for those that want the same look and still a good quality backpack (just not a 5.11 Rush 72 one), there is a lower priced GPC backpack that looks identical:
http://goprofessionalcases.com/s ... m-3-backpack-s.html
2015-9-3
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

I used them for the first week and then realized that in wind over 10 mph (this is just my observations) I had harder time maneuvering for a shot.  I would get near my planned location and stop and then it seemed the wind would push me back a bit so I had to fudge it a lot to get it where I wanted it.  This was around my place and it is wide open corn and beans so I was not worried about it so I flew with them off.

But I have been taking it to other locations, The Covered Bridge today by my house for instance to take some pictures.  I definitely put them on.  I was closer to trees and I am still a Noobie!!! so not going to take chances plus the landing in uneven grass where it will tip to the side.  So I say I use them if the circumstances warrant them.

DJI_0050.JPG
DJI_0028.JPG
DJI_0029.JPG
DJI_0036.JPG
2015-9-3
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-9-4 03:39
I used them for the first week and then realized that in wind over 10 mph (this is just my observati ...

well u should be receiving the nd filters this week, i sent them yesterday. hope it helps with videos
2015-9-3
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-3 14:49
well u should be receiving the nd filters this week, i sent them yesterday. hope it helps with vid ...

Can't wait to try them out.  Thanks Ray.
2015-9-3
Use props
agrewe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

One thing to consider is that you might take risks with them on you wouldn't take otherwise, in effect eliminating the benefit you get from them.

While I can't provide you any direct links to scientific evidence I believe there have been quite a few studies that people take more risks when they feel protected by safety technology (e.g. modern cars, helmets on bikes etc).

I've got the funny feeling the same will apply to with prop guards vs without prop guards.
2015-9-3
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

agrewe Posted at 2015-9-4 04:26
One thing to consider is that you might take risks with them on you wouldn't take otherwise, in effe ...

absolutely correct, that is the only negative i put at the beginning of this thread, a false sense of security!!
my 11 year old want to do karate so he can then protect himself against older people,(imean 40 year old people).!!
2015-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules