FAA Registry will be public
1449 6 2015-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
clifwlkr
lvl.1

United States

OK, now I have serious doubts about signing up here.  I am for sure going to wait until the last possible second to hopefully see that this gets thrown out.  There is no way I want my information all publicly available just because I fly a model aircraft.  My ultralight requires less work than flying a tiny phantom!  This is kind of crazy....

Link to article and discussion:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15 ... -publicly-available

I think we will see this whole effort turn into a disaster.
2015-12-21
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Read this post,  http://forum.dji.com/thread-37477-1-1.html

2015-12-21
Use props
clifwlkr
lvl.1

United States

This article talks about how anyone in the public will be able to lookup records by number confirmed.  So hunt and peck a number, stick it on your drone, and fly under someone else's license....  It is not a secure system at all.  Police will not be able to force you to show your registration, only the FAA will.  After a crash, however, they will use the number to track you down.  Since the number is never visible until the crash, it is unlikely anyone would be caught until then.

Sorry, but a bad system all the way around that does not reward anyone who registers.
2015-12-21
Use props
koine777
lvl.2

United States

It's easily defeated, yes. However, it's obviously an attempt at education, since one has to read very minimal rules of the sky. It's not that big of a deal. If one is flying safely, one has nothing to worry about. If I'm in unpopulated areas, hell yes, I'll fly above 400 feet, just like when I'm on a straight, unoccupied interstate, I'll open up my car and go faster than I should. Be responsible. Don't do stupid shit in the wrong places. Accept consequences if you crash or get caught. This is all about one being able to navigate the human experience.
2015-12-21
Use props
the great octom
lvl.1
United States

I can access any info from those registered. I don't have anyone's number, I'm not law enforcement and I'm not FAA employed. There is talks now that people's credit card info has already been compromised. The website was done by a contractor to the FAA. Obviously not done well as far as protecting private info goes. No idea why it needs to be public.
2015-12-23
Use props
the great octom
lvl.1
United States

http://m.newson6.com/story.aspx?story=30816255&catId=112042
2015-12-23
Use props
the great octom
lvl.1
United States

I ended up signing up. It didn't ask me what my UAV was at all. Entered my name and address. Paid the $5 with my CC. May get refunded maybe not(I didn't this the day before the deadline). Upon completion it gives you the FAA number that you are suppose to put on every UAV and maybe other planes and helis that you own and fly. Tells you some safety info and thats about it. I tried looking myself up and it seems to only show those who have the exemption now.
2016-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules