Newbie - P-GPS Compass Error on P3A
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mickforster1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello,

Apologies, I know this has been posted before as I done a quick search but I couldn't seem to find if it was resolved on any of the previous posts.

I got my new P3A on Thursday and have since flown it twice. The first time at my folks and all was fine until I turned and the P-GPS error came up.
Today after calibrating the ICU, Compass and Gimble in a large field in the middle of nowhere the error also came up - but only when I faced the drone in certain direction.
When i turned the nose in any other direction full Safe to Fly Green came up.

I've reset the machine, controller etc and update the firmware as follows:

App 2.82 Android
P3A 1.9.60
RC 1.6.0

I was pretty stoked, getting the drone but am now worried it's malfunctioning.
Can anyone help me please before I contact DJI directly?

Thanks

2016-7-16
Use props
mattelarssonlul
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi,
I have the same problem, in direction west I get compass error on my P3A you can read it in the forum but no solution there either. I contacted DJI and explained that I had done all of calibration and test it in different places with the same problem. They tell me that I had to send it in for exchange to a brand new P3A because it was in DOA period (14 days since registration) so I guess this is the only thing to do, change it to a new one. I have the exactly same firmware in mine drone. Now I am waiting to get a new one back from Holland and hope that drone is problem free, I think I will not upgrade the firmware this time.
/Mattias
2016-7-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

THe IMU (not ICU) and Gimbal can be calibrated at home, you do not need to be out in a field. But it sounds like you did not get a good compass calibration. Try again, making sure you have no metal objects on your person and the aircraft is well away from any thing metal.
2016-7-17
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-17 18:44
THe IMU (not ICU) and Gimbal can be calibrated at home, you do not need to be out in a field. But it ...

+1  on this... "making sure you have no metal objects on your person"   watch , chain, keys,  etc.

maybe that would explain why it does it no matter where you try..
2016-7-17
Use props
mickforster1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I don't want to tempt fate, but I think I've fixed this. So far I've had two successful flights with no errors at all!
I ran a magnet in circular motions horizontally and then vertically following the advice on these posts:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-29631-1-1.html
http://forum.dji.com/thread-56384-1-1.html

Not sure if this the correct method but it seemed to work for me. I'll update this post if the error comes back again though.
Thanks
2016-7-18
Use props
mickforster1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi guys,
Just updating you on this again. I tried my P3A today and the error is returning. I have asked Amazon for a replacement as I have tried everything possible to fix. Not happy that I spent over £650 and it's not working. For piece of mind I'd rather a working compass.
2016-7-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

mickforster1 Posted at 2016-7-21 00:16
Hi guys,
Just updating you on this again. I tried my P3A today and the error is returning. I have as ...

If you have a good compass calibration then the only reason to get a compass error is if you are taking off or flying close to metal.
If you are getting "Safe To Fly, NON GPS" and you are outside in the clear sly then it sounds like a GPS error.
You can try to reinstall the latest firmware and do all the calibrations.
If it still persists then I would send it in for repair or refund/exchange from Amazon.
2016-7-20
Use props
mickforster1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-20 17:50
If you have a good compass calibration then the only reason to get a compass error is if you are t ...

Cheers Ken,
I tried that with Mike in support tonight. He was very helpful but I have to send it back.
Thanks for your reply.
2016-7-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

mickforster1 Posted at 2016-7-21 05:12
Cheers Ken,
I tried that with Mike in support tonight. He was very helpful but I have to send it b ...

No problem, sorry you have to send it in.
2016-7-20
Use props
mickforster1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Got my new P3A from Amazon this morning and set it all up. No problems at all and flies like a beautiful little fairy on speed. The faulty one is being sent back to Amazon tomorrow.

Mountains of Mourne

Mountains of Mourne
2016-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules