Mavic Pro lost communication on Return to Home and goes Haywire
1542 20 2017-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MarcShibley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 81086 ft
United States

I was 2000 meters out in the line of sight 90 meters high and I hit the return to home button. The machine started coming back perfectly in line with my house. I could now see the machine clearly above the horizon and I thought everything was ok because I was 900 meters out and had 45 percent battery left. Out of nowhere without hitting any buttons the machine had said that it lost connection and as you can see from the end of the flight log it started going into a direction that was not towards my takeoff location. After it started going of track with no communication it began coming back home again as the controller had told me. At this time the barrery was running low because of all the misdirection that the return to home ended up creating. The machine got to 700 meters away and ran out of battery and looked to emergency land. My questions are why did the return to home malfunction? Is there any way I could get a better location where the drone currently is being that the remote continued to track the distance it was away from me even after the app crashed. Please look at the attached flight data as I have saved for this machine for 6 months and now its gone because of a malfunction. Please if there is any way to get later flight information out of remote let me know. I have looked for it for 5 hours and still have not been able to find it but if the remote can show me a more precise location where it actually landed I am sure I will be able to find it.
mavic pro.png
2017-2-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

This is essentially a duplicate of your other thread.
2017-2-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your last gps coordinates are there at the bottom of your picture. Maybe try posting logs, but as Droneflying, says only need for one thread.
2017-2-8
Use props
Scott Moore
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1141201 ft
  • >>>
United States

My question is if this happens to mine and it's not my fault will DJI take care of it.
2017-2-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Scott Moore Posted at 2017-2-8 08:53
My question is if this happens to mine and it's not my fault will DJI take care of it.

I can't speak from personal experience, but my understanding has always been that losses due to defects / DJI's fault are covered by the warranty. Losses due to pilot error (which are far more common) are only covered if you purchased DJI Care Refresh for the aircraft and you are able to recover it to send to DJI: no aircraft, no Care Refresh replacement. Unfortunately for this OP, his loss doesn't seem to fall under the warranty umbrella, and Care Refresh -- which I don't know if he even has -- is a non-issue until / unless he's able to find his Mavic. Besides, it's always possible that his Mavic is just fine and sitting behind a counter or on a roof somewhere.
2017-2-8
Use props
MarcShibley
lvl.1
United States

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your patience.

For your claimed case CAS-438940-Z3K3N8, with the record ended without any sign of abnormality, we could not verify what happened afterwards. As such, we could not provide warranty service.

We truly appreciate your support for DJI. I am trying to get a discount for buying a new Mavic Pro drone for you. I will keep you updated.

If you have more information for the analysis, please send it to me.

Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

This is what they said. Its pretty clear that the return to home funtion did not work. I dont understand how they can say it didnt malfunction its obvious showing the flight path that it did.
2017-2-8
Use props
MarcShibley
lvl.1
United States

I will keep everyone updated on the end result. Hoping they stand behind there product.
2017-2-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

"Its pretty clear that the return to home funtion did not work. I dont understand how they can say it didnt malfunction its obvious showing the flight path that it did."

Have you read the comments about this in your original thread? RTH is a "best effort", not a guarantee of the drone's return.
2017-2-8
Use props
Bradz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62589 ft
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-8 08:58
I can't speak from personal experience, but my understanding has always been that losses due to defects / DJI's fault are covered by the warranty. Losses due to pilot error (which are far more common) are only covered if you purchased DJI Care Refresh for the aircraft and you are able to recover it to send to DJI: no aircraft, no Care Refresh replacement. Unfortunately for this OP, his loss doesn't seem to fall under the warranty umbrella, and Care Refresh -- which I don't know if he even has -- is a non-issue until / unless he's able to find his Mavic. Besides, it's always possible that his Mavic is just fine and sitting behind a counter or on a roof somewhere.

Thats not true, I asked DJI in online chat and they will replace with DJI Refresh if lost.
2017-2-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Bradz Posted at 2017-2-8 09:32
Thats not true, I asked DJI in online chat and they will replace with DJI Refresh if lost.

"Thats not true"

Which part? That you have to send the aircraft to DJI to get a Care Refresh replacement? Here are DJI's instructions (emphasis mine) for a Care Refresh claim:
"If you want to replace your product, contact DJI Support via phone, email, or live chat. Then send your product to a designated DJI repair center under the instruction of DJI Support staff."

2017-2-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bradz Posted at 2017-2-8 09:32

Exclusions dji care refresh. Check out number 1

DJI Care Refresh does not cover the following:
1) Lost or partially lost aircraft, gimbal or accessories.
2) Stolen, forgotten, or abandoned product.
3) Damage caused by flight under unsuitable conditions.
4) Remote controller, battery of Inspire 2 and Phantom 4 Pro, and modification accessories.
5) Deliberate losses.
6) Abrasions and shell damage that do not affect the performance of the product.
7) Direct or indirect losses caused by force majeure.
8) Replacement requests for damage incurred outside the period of validity.
9) Extra fees resulting from technical enhancements or performance improvements.
10) Damage resulting from modifications that are not in accordance with manual recommendations, or the use of incompatible batteries and charger.
11) Damage resulting from the use of third party accessories, batteries or software.
2017-2-8
Use props
MarcShibley
lvl.1
United States

It should be called Might return to home then.
2017-2-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MarcShibley Posted at 2017-2-8 10:03
It should be called Might return to home then.

I think it would be better understood if you posted logs..
2017-2-8
Use props
MarcShibley
lvl.1
United States

Here they come
IMG_2624.PNG
2017-2-8
Use props
MarcShibley
lvl.1
United States

This is another flight log portion
IMG_2625.PNG
2017-2-8
Use props
MarcShibley
lvl.1
United States

What i do not understand is why the next day does it show actions in the flight log? the battery was dead.
IMG_2626 (1).PNG
2017-2-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Those aren't the "logs" we're looking for. Please follow the instructions in the link provided you by Hallmark in this post or in the link I provided you here. Once you've done that you can provide a link that will allow us to look at the detailed log information.
2017-2-8
Use props
MarcShibley
lvl.1
United States

The incident happened 23:37:59 does anyone know why 8 hours later there was records being it wasnt even connected?
2017-2-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MarcShibley Posted at 2017-2-8 10:29
What i do not understand is why the next day does it show actions in the flight log? the battery was dead.

There not the flight logs, just record of flights.

You can upload logs to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and then post them here and you might find out a bit more of what happened.
2017-2-8
Use props
MarcShibley
lvl.1
United States

What do i take them off the app to do this?
2017-2-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MarcShibley Posted at 2017-2-8 10:42
What do i take them off the app to do this?

Just go online to address and follow instructions, yes from you flight on your app.
2017-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules