DJI please read. Transmission Issues still here, and others.
2372 36 2017-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nemroig
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192930 ft
Spain

Regarding to range and image transmission issues, and referring to many threads with the same issues:

I can not understand why you DJI does not do a massive and definitive action to solve this problem, perhaps accepting that some units are defective, if it is evident that a very large part of those who have bought a Spark we have the same image transmission issues, image freezing and loss connection with the RC at infinitely lower distances than those advertised by the company for this AC, and for a common use.

In your commercials we can see how the happy owners of the brand new Spark fly them in their graduation party, in basketball games, in their children car races...

...and seeing that I wonder: Do you want us to believe that in all these places, crowded with people, there is not a single interference caused by devices and that hese places are located in the middle of nowhere away from buildings, electric towers and other possible sources of intereferences? Come on !!

As I have said here on other occasions, I do not find it acceptable that "we have to go to the moon" to be free of all interference. At least, we have not been told before buying the product, nor warned in your ads.

Last week I was flying again in my neighborhood, in a park of about 300 x 300 meters; mainly trees, few people around. I sent the spark to 60 or 70 meters height to be able to direct the antennas directly and perfectly to him (as indicated in the tutorials). No buildings, no trees or other objects between us. Once again, it was disappointing that the image sometimes froze just over 50 meters far away, so I'm not sending it any further, of course.

But it can be worst. Here a good testing I did last weekend:

I was in a really lonely area, practically nothing around, excellent for testing. The results have not been satisfactory:

As you can see in the videos, I tested at 5.8 Ghz and then at 2.4 Ghz, sending the spark straight ahead, absolutely nothing between us.

Image and connection to the RC was lost much sooner than it should according to advertising:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2g0k5b4vd7osxp0/Image_transmission_issue1-5%2C8Ghz.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkzldhqdsj34ndj/Image_transmission_issue2-2%2C4Ghz.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2oswc38bnub9wt8/Image_transmission_issue3.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/16z4f8d53nll4di/Image_transmission_issue4.mp4?dl=0

Also, look for these errors or malfunctions:

1. Command timeout.

2. Battery level increases and decreases, even up to almost 18 minutes remaining !!!

-----

Obviously, it is impossible to fly the Spark in areas with some trees or in highlands. The only safe thing is to fly in totally clear places such as the middle of the ocean or cliffs, but then, why do you want a drone if you can not "inspect" highlands, forests an similar areas?

I have not bought a Drone for this, and I think it's DJI's fault because Spark's capabilities and possibilities advertisings are misleading, or my drone is defective.

Whatever it is, what is totally unacceptable is that we have to be worried to whether the connection or image will be lost, instead of enjoying.

------

DJI: I'm not satisfied with this purchase. I think that your products are fantastic (at least as shown in advertising), but it seems that Spark has not worked well in its first version.

As I see it, either my drone is defective or not suitable for the intended use as advertised, so I see 2 options:

1. I send the drone back to you for disagreement with the product, and I am refunded.

2. I give confidence to DJI and I try with a Mavic Pro (I return the spark and pay for the difference).

What can we do, DJI?

* Note: All FW and app are up-to-date, the phone is in airplane mode (wifi on) and no bluetooth sources nearby.

2017-10-9
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You'll need to contact DJI directly and raise a case via their support operations. They will release a ticket for you and your drone will be collected. Upon arriving at DJI they will complete a full diagnostic of the drone and establish the issues. If you have care refresh they will probably replace it with a refurb. If you have just the standard warranty they will only replace if it is clearly a manufacturer defect. Note that it will take around 4-6 weeks for the return and if not covered by warranty you will need to pay for the repair. I strongly doubt that they will trade it in for a Mavic or provide a full monetary refund - good luck anyway and hope it gets sorted soon.
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

I am sorry to read on your issues. Please set up for our technicians to take a look at your aircraft: http://www.dji.com/service/repair
2017-10-9
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

I definately  agree with what you have said here:

In your commercials we can see how the happy owners of the brand new Spark fly them in their graduation party, in basketball games, in their children car races...

...and seeing that I wonder: Do you want us to believe that in all these places, crowded with people, there is not a single interference caused by devices and that hese places are located in the middle of nowhere away from buildings, electric towers and other possible sources of intereferences? Come on !!

They are selling the spark on these ads, and if it cannot handle these functions then it is severe false advertising.
2017-10-9
Use props
daveddo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 158009 ft
United States

I’ve flown in situations very similar to the ones in the ads, with WiFi connection to the remote (not OTG) and been fine.

Like ACW said, set up a support ticket and maybe they’ll be able to help.
2017-10-9
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

ACW Posted at 2017-10-9 11:37
You'll need to contact DJI directly and raise a case via their support operations. They will release a ticket for you and your drone will be collected. Upon arriving at DJI they will complete a full diagnostic of the drone and establish the issues. If you have care refresh they will probably replace it with a refurb. If you have just the standard warranty they will only replace if it is clearly a manufacturer defect. Note that it will take around 4-6 weeks for the return and if not covered by warranty you will need to pay for the repair. I strongly doubt that they will trade it in for a Mavic or provide a full monetary refund - good luck anyway and hope it gets sorted soon.

Thank you ACW for your quick and clear response.

Yes, I know I have to get in touch with them, but I wanted to make it public in case it can help others with the same problems.

I do have Care Refresh, but I think it's not fair to use one of the two replacements for a problem or issue that has been there since de very beginning. What do you think?.

I payed for the Care Refresh to ensure the AC in case I crash it, sink it or I had any other accident, not to ensure a possible manufacturing defect. So, if it was a manufacturer defect I understand they should change it for a new one, not a refurbished one.

About being refunded, I can prove that I have had these problems from the beginning (2 months ago) and tried to receive help and solutions, so I understand that this situation should be treated as if we were within the initial 14 days, or with a legal claim.

Whatever it is, I'll let you know about the source of the problem (if they find it) and the response from DJIj.

Cheers,
2017-10-10
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-9 11:48
I am sorry to read on your issues. Please set up for our technicians to take a look at your aircraft: http://www.dji.com/service/repair

Thanks Mark, I'll do it ASAP.

Cheers,
2017-10-10
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

daveddo Posted at 2017-10-9 20:37
I’ve flown in situations very similar to the ones in the ads, with WiFi connection to the remote (not OTG) and been fine.

Like ACW said, set up a support ticket and maybe they’ll be able to help.

I flew only once with the phone (iPhone 6), without RC, and the connection was lost at 7 meters high. I was in a city and there were people around, yes, but nothing different than the ads where they fly the Spark in places surrounded by people and only with their phones.
2017-10-10
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Have you tried OTG. Cured my android issues completely.
Not approved? It's that or not fly....
2017-10-10
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-9 11:48

Hi again Mark. Actually we don't know if my unit needs to be repaired or it is defective.

I guess there is another way to manage this situation and decide what to do, isn't it?

Or do I have to ask straight for a repair service anyway?

Thanks.
2017-10-10
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-10 02:58

I haven't tried it because they say it's not supported and it would void warranty...

Well actually I tried it once in some of the first flights. I don't remember I saw any improvement. Although I didn't have the current experience about antennas and everything else... Anyway, I read this is not allowed for warranty and I didn't use it again.

Maybe I'll try...
2017-10-10
Use props
Ricardo Alba
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95502 ft
Brazil

The issues is that it's wifi, we're doomed to this poor range even with controller, only solution I see is to get a mavic
2017-10-10
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Well not if otg lasts. It's recommended for crystal sky. I'll go that way cause ordinary phone/tablet way to dim. Easy to resell if I pull plug. Plus has some hope of support.
2017-10-10
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

Ricardo Alba Posted at 2017-10-10 04:35
The issues is that it's wifi, we're doomed to this poor range even with controller, only solution I see is to get a mavic

Yes but they advertise 500 to 2.000 meters range, in concrete conditions, with no image issues, and this is not being true. Although, they show people flying their Spark in populated places full of people, only with their mobile (no RC)...

You go test that in a basketball game, and then tell us what the result is ...
2017-10-10
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

PS I agree with all observations re advertising etc, but nearly all products are hyped. Electric car range.......?
2017-10-10
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I get 400 metres at low level with otg. If you're gutted with WiFi, otg is a game changer.
2017-10-10
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I still think, that the antennas are part of the problem!
Has anyone with strong problems tried to extend the range flying back- or sideways?
In case "we" play ball, stay at normal height limits, there is always a batterie between the antennas and the remote.
As clother to the ground, as earlier in the flight!
I still think, the antennas would be better in the arms, either crosswise front/back or better 4 antennas.
Start thinking about a antenna "hack" for the spark
2017-10-10
Use props
Flip_L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 330686 ft
Germany

Nemroig Posted at 2017-10-10 04:54
Yes but they advertise 500 to 2.000 meters range, in concrete conditions, with no image issues, and this is not being true. Although, they show people flying their Spark in populated places full of people, only with their mobile (no RC)...

You go test that in a basketball game, and then tell us what the result is ...

The official range stated by DJI for Europe (CE Standard) is:

5.8 GHz up to 300m
2.4 GHz up to 500m

under ideal circumstances i.e. direct LOS no interference whatsoever. I personally found that you can easily reach those given distances with the Spark.

Don't get me wrong, image transmission quality/stability and connection losses are big issues which DJI has to improve, but the range is currently not a real issue at the moment as far as I am concerned.

Cheers,
Flip.  
2017-10-10
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

How can it be the antennae if otg fixes problem?
2017-10-10
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

Flip_L Posted at 2017-10-10 05:35

5.8 GHz up to 300m

You are right, from 300m to 500m for CE. My fault.

Anyway, "ideal circumstances" means "absolutely nothing between RC and AC, and not a single wifi or bluetooth signal around". Thats almost imposible. And at last, with the Spark you have a very nice selfie drone, no much more.
2017-10-10
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

Flip_L Posted at 2017-10-10 05:35

5.8 GHz up to 300m

As you are in Europe too, would you please check some of my videos and tell me if your Wifi signal within the App behaves like mine with the distance? I mean, is that normal to have only 2/4 signal bars when the AC is 'only' 80m away? And more over, is that normal to lose image transmission being the AC at 140m away, and with 2/4 signal bars?
2017-10-10
Use props
Flip_L
lvl.3
Germany

Nemroig Posted at 2017-10-10 06:12
You are right, from 300m to 500m for CE. My fault.

Anyway, "ideal circumstances" means "absolutely nothing between RC and AC, and not a single wifi or bluetooth signal around". Thats almost imposible. And at last, with the Spark you have a very nice selfie drone, no much more.

Yes you're correct.

But my personal experiece showed me that as long as you're flying in the countryside, i.e. with not that much going on around you, you can easily reach those distances and if you're flying high enough, adjust your antennas corretly and point them directly at the AC, you can go way beond the "CE distances"
2017-10-10
Use props
Flip_L
lvl.3
Germany

Nemroig Posted at 2017-10-10 06:37
As you are in Europe too, would you please check some of my videos and tell me if your Wifi signal within the App behaves like mine with the distance? I mean, is that normal to have only 2/4 signal bars when the AC is 'only' 80m away? And more over, is that normal to lose image transmission being the AC at 140m away, and with 2/4 signal bars?

1st video you're flying with 5.8GHz at +300m distance which is the "official" max. for CE the signal gets worse when the AC is changing it's position quickly esp. when you're rotating etc.

2nd video you should always use the channel with the smallest bar, the smaller the bar, the more stable the connection. and again you got to more than 900m which is in my opinion excellent for a drone that can only go to 500m ;) it is therefore little surprising that you lost connection.

When the spark is that far out, the tiniest changes in pointing the antennas can result in an immediate signal loss.

In my opinion you can be satisfied with the range you get in CE mode and you can comfortably fly your drone within a 500m radius without having to worry about it getting disconnected.

Best wishes,
Flip.

P.S. the landcape looks stunning!!
2017-10-10
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

Flip_L Posted at 2017-10-10 07:07
1st video you're flying with 5.8GHz at +300m distance which is the "official" max. for CE the signal gets worse when the AC is changing it's position quickly esp. when you're rotating etc.

2nd video you should always use the channel with the smallest bar, the smaller the bar, the more stable the connection. and again you got to more than 900m which is in my opinion excellent for a drone that can only go to 500m ;) it is therefore little surprising that you lost connection.

At the end it will turn out that my spark works perfectly, even better!

Seriously, these tests have been performed in a semi-desert place, sending the spark straight ahead, with absolutely no obstacles in between.

As soon as there are some trees in front, or if you try to fly in a forest among trees, the connection becomes absolutely unstable...

As I said earlier, this can be a perfect drone for selfies at close range, but we would have to see how it behaves without RC and in a place with people, phone interferences, etc., because my only experience like that was catastrophic.

Many thanks for the comment about the landscape It's a shame that we can not explore hidden and remote places with (my) Spark.

Greetings,
2017-10-10
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-10 02:58

(Question about OTG, and more)

Well,

After sending a complete email to support@dji.com listing all the errors that I am experiencing with image transmission as well as the strange (for me) battery issues, where the remaining level increases and decreases, and other problems such as "time out”…

After showing them with several recordings from the phone's screen…

...asking for help somehow...

They only say “We are sorry that you are having bad experiences, we are going to help you. Try to fly in a place with more satellite reception!!”. Veeeeery good. Thanks!!

(In the videos it is clearly seen that I always get 16-18 satellites, and anyway I doubt that this is the problem for image transmission or for connection between AC and RC).

Viewed this, I understand that they have not even taken the time to see the videos or to read the explanations that I prepared to show the problems I am experiencing, and regarding that every time I have contacted them via chat I have always been attended in the same way (with the same "absurd" standard recommendations) I can only say that, frankly, I have the feeling that they treat us as if we were stupid, palming us off with good words but not helping, like if they wait for us to give up our complains because of boredom.

Having said the above, and while I continue to argue with them for my rights as a consumer, I raise here other doubts after doing more tests since I am not getting any coherent or sincere answer from the technical team and customer service.

1. With the OTG, is it normal that no wifi signal intensity bars are shown? Anyway, with the OTG you can see that image transmission is bad also (in my case): It freezes and blocks, even gets disconnected at short distance. Moreover, I was surprised that there were no intensity signals.

Here the video test with OTG. No wifi signal bars (normal?).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/trlz2d ... 4.24%20OTG.mov?dl=0

2. More strange behavior about the remaining battery time. You can check it out from the beginning of this video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tio99t ... %20BATTERY.mp4?dl=0

3 and 4: More image freezing and transmision issues.

Do you think this image transmission is correct and acceptable at this distances?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/thnzqa ... 2018.58.47.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6lckj ... 20FREEZING.mp4?dl=0

Thanks for your comments
2017-10-16
Use props
djiuser_gjLUHKA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16171 ft
Bulgaria

Nemroig Posted at 2017-10-16 13:46
(Question about OTG, and more)

Well,

It looks like you have a video lag rather than a transmission issues. I have treated this with another mobile device.

In regard to inadequate response of DJI support you are not alone. I have received even more ridiculous replies, apparently not related to the particular problem. It seems they have a set of canned answers and use them randomly, but this unfortunately could not be called support.
2017-10-17
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

djiuser_gjLUHKA Posted at 2017-10-17 01:15
It looks like you have a video lag rather than a transmission issues. I have treated this with another mobile device.

In regard to inadequate response of DJI support you are not alone. I have received even more ridiculous replies, apparently not related to the particular problem. It seems they have a set of canned answers and use them randomly, but this unfortunately could not be called support.

Besides video lag (strange using an iPhone 6, not a cheap device), my biggest problems are related with losing image transmission at short distances.

Indeed, I agree that they must have a set of answers and use them randomly.

After a more serious second email, I have given up asking them to check out the videos I have made and give me their opinion on whether it is a hardware problem (connection between the AC and RC).

They tell me that if I am not satisfied I send them the AC to be checked.

We'll see what they say. I'm afraid they'll say they do not find anything strange, and I will have to pay the return shipping... But I have to keep trying, because I really think this AC is not working properly.

I'll tell you.

Cheers.
2017-10-17
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-10 04:58
I get 400 metres at low level with otg. If you're gutted with WiFi, otg is a game changer.

How are you getting 400m with the OTG cable, whenever I connect mine on iOS, the distances get locked. Ever since the last updates. ?
2017-10-17
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

I tried OTG last time and it was even worse than usual. You can see it in the videos I posted.
2017-10-17
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

Good news by now.

They are going to replace the AC and RC mainboard, under warranty.

I'll keep telling.

"Dear DJI User,

After testing and diagnosing your product, DJI will provide you with the free repair service. The repair is expected to be finished in 2 to 3 working days, then the product will be sent back to you. Thank you for choosing DJI.

2017-11-7
Use props
sasha0
New

South Africa

I have just bought my Spark. First time. E I flew and recorded it was crystal clear on the screen of my Android device and the file footage. I flew it earlier today again a day all the footage is grainy. I cannot understand why. It is grainy in the device ad card and the phone card. While flying the screen image looks terrible. I have reset the software. I have tried using other mobile devises but no change. I'm stumped and a bit upset. Have I done something wrong or is this a bug?, pls can you assist. Thanks
2017-11-7
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

sasha0 Posted at 2017-11-7 08:39
I have just bought my Spark. First time. E I flew and recorded it was crystal clear on the screen of my Android device and the file footage. I flew it earlier today again a day all the footage is grainy. I cannot understand why. It is grainy in the device ad card and the phone card. While flying the screen image looks terrible. I have reset the software. I have tried using other mobile devises but no change. I'm stumped and a bit upset. Have I done something wrong or is this a bug?, pls can you assist. Thanks

Sasha, try to talk to a moderator (look for them in this topic for example) or start a new topic; it will be seen by DJI for sure. They will tell you what to check out or what to do.

Good luck!
2017-11-7
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nemroig Posted at 2017-10-17 15:54
I tried OTG last time and it was even worse than usual. You can see it in the videos I posted.

Hi Nemroig,

Did look at your videos and read your comments and questions.

I am surprised to see a different screen than on my phone, see this video
  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4qgpb ... mC3_6h9gf_Vria?dl=0

My phone is connected via an OTG cable, on AUTO for the wifi setting.
I see the 2.4 and 5.8 icon, don`t see your little icon left bottom on your display.

Cheers,
Hans

2017-11-8
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

JJBspark Posted at 2017-11-8 00:16
Hi Nemroig,

Did look at your videos and read your comments and questions.

Hi JJBspark, the only difference I see is that you have enabled the small map view (left bottom corner) and I usually prefer the radar view (just tap the circle). Also I see you have information about you sd card and camera config (right top corner) which I don't. I don't see any other strange difference. Do you?

I'm using an iOs device.

Cheers.
2017-11-8
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nemroig Posted at 2017-11-8 00:26
Hi JJBspark, the only difference I see is that you have enabled the small map view (left bottom corner) and I usually prefer the radar view (just tap the circle). Also I see you have information about you sd card and camera config (right top corner) which I don't. I don't see any other strange difference. Do you?

I'm using an iOs device.

On your vid with OTG your WIFI icon has greyed-out, not on my video.

In this (your) video i see left bottom a fourth icon ; circle with four small arrows....what is it?

Android version here, a OP3.

Hans
2017-11-8
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

JJBspark Posted at 2017-11-8 00:35
On your vid with OTG your WIFI icon has greyed-out, not on my video.

In this (your) video i see left bottom a fourth icon ; circle with four small arrows....what is it?

"On your vid with OTG your WIFI icon has greyed-out, not on my video." > That's what I asked before. I don't know why it goes grey with OTG...

"In this (your) video i see left bottom a fourth icon ; circle with four small arrows....what is it?" > I'm not sure if it was for the gimbal control. I don't have the spark now, it's coming back tomorrow... I'll check it out
2017-11-9
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

Well, I got my Spark at home yesterday, and not really happy by now...

New thread here https://forum.dji.com/thread-119735-1-1.html
2017-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules