Compass
3135 16 2019-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hannes1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 29806 ft
Australia

When using your compass in your phone , what do you use , magnetic north or true north? Cheers

2019-2-8
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

It depends on the app and the kind of phone you’re using.
2019-2-8
Use props
Hannes1
lvl.3
Australia

Sayhelloforme Posted at 2-8 21:32
It depends on the app and the kind of phone you’re using.

Apple iPhone 6s plus ,cheers
2019-2-8
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

Hannes1 Posted at 2-8 22:21
Apple iPhone 6s plus ,cheers

Compass gives accurate readings of both true north and magnetic north, and both are valid indications. True north, which is a GPS bearing linked to the geographical location of the North Pole, works when Location Services is turned on. ... To turn on true north, tap Settings→Compass and then tap Use True North on.
I think by default true north is disabled.
The phone does not use its compass when flying the spark. The Spark is using its own GPS chip and compass
2019-2-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sayhelloforme Posted at 2-9 04:25
Compass gives accurate readings of both true north and magnetic north, and both are valid indications. True north, which is a GPS bearing linked to the geographical location of the North Pole, works when Location Services is turned on. ... To turn on true north, tap Settings→Compass and then tap Use True North on.
I think by default true north is disabled.
The phone does not use its compass when flying the spark. The Spark is using its own GPS chip and compass

Hiya,

The DJI GO 4 app uses compass info from your mobile device!

It is used for the compass indicator left bottom on the screen.
Red arrow gets info from compass drone and the outer ring gets info from the mob  device.
So if both compasses are correct the NORTH sign is pointing to the real world NORTH and the red arrows shows the correct heading on the compass od the drone.

If you watch several YT videos you see that not always the both compasses are aligned OK.If compass Drone is OK than pointing red arrow to the center means flying back home (to the RC/device), but if the mobile device compass is wrongly calibatrated than the outer ring is NOK meaning than you don`t know where to look in the sky where your drone is flying (if not in LOS)

Only if the red arrow is moving around (thus not a steady indication) while on the ground or on hover after takeoff it tells you that there is something wrong with your drone compass.

cheers
JJB
2019-2-9
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

It doesn't really matters as long as you know which one you are using.
2019-2-9
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-9 05:50
Hiya,

The DJI GO 4 app uses compass info from your mobile device!

I use a iPad min4 which the specs say no compass app or compass is build in. I don’t have  a Cellular model. Because I don’t have the  Cellular model, I can’t use Waze. How does this work ( the little triangle bottom left ) on my device if I have no compass?  You stated “ The DJI GO 4 app uses compass info from your mobile device!“ Any chance the DJI 4 go app has built a Compass  ? Thanks.
2019-2-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sayhelloforme Posted at 2-9 08:32
I use a iPad min4 which the specs say no compass app or compass is build in. I don’t have  a Cellular model. Because I don’t have the  Cellular model, I can’t use Waze. How does this work ( the little triangle bottom left ) on my device if I have no compass?  You stated “ The DJI GO 4 app uses compass info from your mobile device!“ Any chance the DJI 4 go app has built a Compass  ? Thanks.

Hiya,

To my knowledge a iPad mini4 non cellular does not have GPS but has a compass built in.
https://gadgets.ndtv.com/apple-ipad-mini-4-wi-fi-2956

DJI app doesn`t not have a compass built in as its software, needs compass hardware to function.

cheers
JJB
2019-2-9
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

My compass app shows both. Motorola Droid Turbo.
2019-2-9
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-9 09:05
Hiya,

To my knowledge a iPad mini4 non cellular does not have GPS but has a compass built in.

Right but My iPad will need to be 3G-enabled for compass mode to work away from a Wi-Fi connection. Wi-Fi only iPads do not have built-in GPS.
So, if I have no WiFi connection because I’m out in the middle of the field, where does the info come from to enable the triangle bottom left ?
2019-2-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sayhelloforme Posted at 2-9 11:35
Right but My iPad will need to be 3G-enabled for compass mode to work away from a Wi-Fi connection. Wi-Fi only iPads do not have built-in GPS.
So, if I have no WiFi connection because I’m out in the middle of the field, where does the info come from to enable the triangle bottom left ?

nah, for a working compass you do not need any connection, not a wifi or a cellular connection.
Mobile device compass is a stand-alone systeem.

cheers
JJB
2019-2-9
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-9 12:37
nah, for a working compass you do not need any connection, not a wifi or a cellular connection.
Mobile device compass is a stand-alone systeem.

That’s good news. The info I gave you came directly from the guy at apple tech support.
Tomorrow I will put it to the test. I will bring up apple maps and try to click on compass top right to see if it will still work without a WiFi connection.
Thanks for being extremely helpful !!!
2019-2-9
Use props
Hannes1
lvl.3
Australia

OK , the problem I am having is ,when I fly the spark back ( not backwards ) the little compass on the left bottom of the screen shows a few degrees to the left . So that was my question , magnetic or true north ,I thought the difference between the two would fix it .cheers
2019-2-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hannes1 Posted at 2-9 15:05
OK , the problem I am having is ,when I fly the spark back ( not backwards ) the little compass on the left bottom of the screen shows a few degrees to the left . So that was my question , magnetic or true north ,I thought the difference between the two would fix it .cheers

Hi Hannes,

Only when the drone and mobile device are exactly same in their direction/calibration you will see no offset * in the little compass. Few degrees offset is for me acceptable.

* drone compass data is set to outer ring heading, if one (or both) are little incorrect....red arrow is not showing the correct position on the compass.
Try when flying to move your RC+device in a figure of 8 patron (like calibrating compass device) and notice that sometimes the offset will go away or become less.

cheers
JJB

2019-2-10
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-10 02:15
Hi Hannes,

Only when the drone and mobile device are exactly same in their direction/calibration you will see no offset * in the little compass. Few degrees offset is for me acceptable.

You are right jjb. You do not need WiFi for the iPad compass to work. I took the iPad to church today, sat it down opened up maps clicked on compass top right and spun it around. The map didn’t move as the iPad turned. Pretty cool effect too. Thanks for your input and also thank you for helping Hannes !!!!
2019-2-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sayhelloforme Posted at 2-10 10:35
You are right jjb. You do not need WiFi for the iPad compass to work. I took the iPad to church today, sat it down opened up maps clicked on compass top right and spun it around. The map didn’t move as the iPad turned. Pretty cool effect too. Thanks for your input and also thank you for helping Hannes !!!!

Hi,

its my pleasure to help if i can.

see this > https://forum.dji.com/thread-144696-1-1.html

cheers
JJB
2019-2-10
Use props
Hannes1
lvl.3
Australia

JJB* Posted at 2-10 11:55