Weak Transmission Signal - Easily Replicated with Map View (Video!)
1132 12 2016-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GabeZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 768448 ft
United States

Hello All,
   I know that many of us have seen this issue when jumping between camera and map view.  The preview screen would momentarily blink, go black, or break out when selecting between the two.  However, I discovered that it's much easier to disrupt the camera than originally anticipated.  All you have to do is pan around the map a little, and the camera starts to blink, go black, go green, or even break out right away.  If you do it enough, it will even cause the status bar to display a "Weak Transmission Signal" message.  This seems like a false positive, but at the same time, it does actually disrupt the video.  I haven't checked the recorded video output to see if it matches.  Check it out for yourself.

Oh!  And one thing I forgot to mention in the video was that all apps were closed, all unnecessary services were shut off, and it was in airplane mode.

2016-10-29
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Interesting , fortunately I very rarely scroll once I have my area of flight  designated on the Go APP ,  Like you say it is the Go APP device that cant keep up with the data.  It also shows that it is NOT the Fault of the DJI system , just  a lot going on with the Processor.  Just wondering , did you have the Enable Hardware Decode enabled? ( sorry if you said in the video and I may have missed it )

Thanks for sharing this  

donnie
2016-10-30
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-10-30 06:57
Interesting , fortunately I very rarely scroll once I have my area of flight  designated on the Go A ...

Hi Donnie,
     I think I forgot to mention it like you said, but the hardware decode enable was on.  I'm going to do the same test with an iPhone 7 plus and see if it suffers the same problem.  I have a suspicion that it will.  Another update to follow.  My main concern is that DJI has the iPad MinI 4 as a suppported device, and if it has these video issues every time the iPad is under load, then it shouldn't be supported.  The main reason I decided to share this was because I think I found an easy way to replicate the problem, but I don't think it's the only way to put the iPad under load.  I've seen these video issues during flight as well, and I never touched the map.
2016-10-30
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-10-30 09:09
Hi Donnie,
     I think I forgot to mention it like you said, but the hardware decode enable was o ...

Gabe, when we have a bit better weather I am going to test this out, rain here in Michigan ....sigh

donnie
2016-10-30
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am sure that donnie has provided you plenty of stuff to try. I would try manual mode in the video HD and select a channel that is clear and strong. put the slider on 6mbps

Try this and see if it improves. I have found that the auto setting does not select the best channel.

Read this thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-64560-1-1.html

Rich
2016-10-30
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Here's the follow up video.  It does not occur on the IPhone 7.  It only occurs on the ipad mini.  

Apologies for all the "uh's" and "um's"....  And for the mistake using the word Ipad 7.

And another update - Setting the video channel to a static open channel (in this case 20) and boosting video to 6mps does not resolve.

2016-10-30
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-10-30 15:29
Here's the follow up video.  It does not occur on the IPhone 7.  It only occurs on the ipad mini.  

Hi Gabe
I watched your video and tried to duplicate it using my iPhone 7 and iPad mini 4. My video is rock solid using the manual HD mode and picking a clear channel. I never search the map in the same way you are doing but I understand why you were showing us this.  I also see that you are using the new DJI Go App 3.01, go to the general settings page and select the slider to the video cache size of 8gig. I believe this will give your device more room to store the video cache flies(make it a little faster).  So far these are the tips I have ben following and my video streaming has been fine.  I appreciate your logic but I do not agree the iPad mini CPU is not powerful enough to do the job. I have a iPad mini 2 that is rock solid too. The device loading is definitely higher than it was in the past but I strongly believe the changes in the transmission encoding is more of the culprit.

So try
manual mode in HD video on a clear channel
video cache file to 8gig
IMG_7914.PNG IMG_7607.PNG
Regards
Rich
2016-11-1
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Hello Rich,
  I'll give it another shot, but I did try channel 20.  I don't recall if I set the cache, but the menu does look familiar, and I might have bumped mine to 16 GB.  As for the transmission quality, I changed that as well.  I have a feeling that it's not necessarily that the iPad isn't powerful enough, but the application is not efficient enough to make good use of the lower ended resources it has.  This was evident when the same settings cleared on an IPhone 7 Plus.  It seems like we have to tweak it to a configuration that works reliably.  If I remember correctly, this wasn't the case a while back, and even the auto channel select was more reliable.  

Also, you have more channels than I do.  I believe Donnie mentioned how to do this an a separate post.  I never added it to mine.
2016-11-2
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Another quick update.  Lowering transmission quality to 6Mbps seems to clear it up.  Somehow, Auto channel select and manual channel select cause problems unless the transmission setting is low (which is only available when you use manual channel select).  However, if you use a stronger device like an IPhone 7, it doesn't matter what settings you use (with the exception of choosing a clear channel if your using manual channel select).  Anyway, I would like to see what Donnie sees on his Ipad Pro.  I bet he can use any video cache size and auto channel select trouble free.  I hate to say it, but here are my thoughts:

1.  The Ipad Mini 4 doesn't have high enough specs to handle the demand of the app and high transmission quality at the same time.
2.  The app has become resource intensive, and you now have make adjustments for lesser devices to get a suitable experience.

I wish I had an older copy of the Go App backed up to prove my results.
2016-11-2
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-11-2 17:07
Another quick update.  Lowering transmission quality to 6Mbps seems to clear it up.  Somehow, Auto c ...

The higher bit-rate transmission quality is more for super long distance flying (IMO) and for flying LOS the higher settings are not necessary.  Again, I have not had any trouble with the iPad mini 2 or mini 4. But it is necessary to use manual mode because of the many changes in the FW and App.
I have the link below for many of the threads on this subject:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-66828-1-1.html
I agree that the Go App is super bloated now and it most likely will not change anytime soon. The old Pilot App did a great job and did not bog down the devices that were connected.  I know you are waiting for Donnie to chime in with his ipad pro, but I think he has been using manual mode too.

Glad you are able to improve your Inspire with these changes.

Rich
2016-11-3
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-4 01:45
The higher bit-rate transmission quality is more for super long distance flying (IMO) and for flyi ...

Could not agree with your more Rich.

Mini 2 is still well and truly up to the task, transmission breakup and instability has only arrived recently and points to outstanding app/FW issues rather than performance of the mobile devices.

Having said that, I am yet to change to 1.9.1 - will wait until we get a new FW release and see if I can avoid it entirely!
2016-11-3
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-11-3 17:27
Could not agree with your more Rich.

Mini 2 is still well and truly up to the task, transmission  ...

But that's the point I'm trying to make.  The app and firmware aren't going to change to boost performance of legacy hardware, nor are they going to become adjusted to make better use of that hardware.  In fact, they will grow to include more features that are more demanding.  The beauty of software and firmware is that they eventually get updated to the point where newer hardware is needed and necessary to achieve desired results.  What we have found are clever workarounds to make these devices work.  But they won't continue to work sad to say.  

in comparison, look at Windows 10 in comparison to Windows XP.  You're not going to get very far with XP specs on a modern day operating system.
2016-11-6
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

GabeZ Posted at 2016-11-7 11:50
But that's the point I'm trying to make.  The app and firmware aren't going to change to boost per ...

With respect GabeZ, you are confusing ongoing development of the fw/app environment with faults arising from poor QA and systems engineering at DJI.

When something works perfectly well and with adequate performance under one version, then is subject to errors and faults in the very next version (barring some amazing new feature or capability) then it is not a matter of hardware spec.

There has been nil to zero additional functionality added to the platform in ages - this has been an exercise in bug patching and sadly bug introduction..
2016-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules