Inspire 1 Repair Story & Timeline
3022 22 2015-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cpslutz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2722556 ft
United States

"Milder" crash, hit wire and aircraft fell about 10' into soft sand.  Aircraft damage was cracked carbon fiber tube to right tail motor, two shattered props and camera gimbal ripped from aircraft, stripping the two ribbon cables.  Reattached cables and on table aircraft powered up OK, motors OK, camera & gimbal worked fine, no other observable damage, but of course, could not fly.

Timeline for repair:
-- March 11: aircraft arrived at DJI, Torrance CA shop via FedEx.
-- March 20: Email saying checked into Zendesk customer service database,
-- March 30: Received repair quote and request to pay.  Cost was $287 which in included 3 hrs labor at $65/hr, 1 arm at $64, 2 props at $10 and 2 gimbal cables at $4.  Paid via PayPal and returned proof of payment same day.
-- March 31: Received confirmation of payment and notification unit sent to repair department.
-- April 15: Contacted that unit repaired and shipping that day via FedEx.

So, that was 35 days from receipt of aircraft until shipped back to me.  9 days to acknowledge receipt, 10 days for repair estimate, 1 day to confirm payment and 15 days to repair.  Of course, would be nice if total shorter repair time, but their customer service was good.

Ahhh, waiting to see if aircraft really OK when received on April 17.  Can and did they run an overall system test besides just repairing physical damage?  Do they warranty their repair work?  Will it have the latest firmware update?  Biggest concern is the aircraft will not be 100% good and I will have to return and lose use of for another month plus.

And....cause of my crash:  1) let person talk to me while flying, not concentrating on piloting.  2) Forgot about reduced depth perception when aircraft at distance.  3) Wind at higher end of allowable, should have landed sooner.  4)  Just got too close to that damn antenna wire.

Regards,
2015-4-16
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Sorry to hear that, my battery went off while flying and landed in sea water, 30 feet depht, no repair!
2015-4-16
Use props
christopher.kee
lvl.2
United States

Hey cpslutz. Thank you for writing up this detailed timeline. I grew attached to the Inspire after about a month of flying, crashed her in SF. It's in the shop for repairs and quite frustrating not having communications with the repair services, so your dates put my mind at ease.

Funny enough, my first flight outdoors, the same thing happened to me when a jogger came by to chat and I couldn't stop talking to him. Crashed it into my legs that time with a cut, but no damage to the I1.

Regards and thanks!
2015-4-16
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... amp;page=1#pid60164

here's my story above.  free repair, 30 days. good service
2015-4-16
Use props
AlaskaDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55036 ft
United States

Does anyone know if the Inspire needs to have the firmware update reinstalled after getting the drone back from DJI after repair? My unit was just returned this week, they said they tested it and everything was good, but it looks like it needs updating. Does that make sense?
2015-4-18
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

I'm waiting for my camera to be replaced. It works 3 flights and died. It has been 5 weeks so far and counting! Hope to get the new one next week.
2015-4-18
Use props
captdkp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4521345 ft
United States

AlaskaDrone Posted at 2015-4-19 04:34
Does anyone know if the Inspire needs to have the firmware update reinstalled after getting the dron ...

I'd like to know what "looking like it needs updating" means.  Why do you think it needs updating other than you sent it back to DJI.
2015-4-18
Use props
cpslutz
lvl.2
United States

AlaskaDrone Posted at 2015-4-19 04:34
Does anyone know if the Inspire needs to have the firmware update reinstalled after getting the dron ...

My aircraft returned from repair April 17.  I did the aircraft firmware update, text file said successful, so appears it was not done previously.  To be safe, I would always apply the latest firmware when aircraft "out of my hands".   
2015-4-18
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1045558 ft
United States

cpslutz Posted at 2015-4-19 09:31
My aircraft returned from repair April 17.  I did the aircraft firmware update, text file said suc ...

So how does it fly?  Have you taken her up yet?
2015-4-18
Use props
cpslutz
lvl.2
United States

bostonlines@gma Posted at 2015-4-19 10:05

Sadly, can't fly yet.  Successfully applied firmware update to aircraft, but my remote controller won't firmware update and does not communicate with pilot app nor aircraft.  Just seems dead.  Tried different cables, microSD cards, updated pilot app, reinstalled app, etc.  This is a mystery to me why a perfectly good controller not abused or dropped, etc. would fail after sitting on the shelf at half charge for 35 days waiting for the repaired aircraft.  I ordered 2nd controller, ouch for $$ (always wanted a 2nd as slave, just didn't plan on getting one this soon) and will complete testing of repaired aircraft when arrives.  Assuming now I will have to send 1st controller in for repair...at least that should be considered as warranty work.  
2015-4-19
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
United States

DJI should come out with some type of recovery software.  I have never seen a product with this type of issue where an update renders the entire unit useless. I also know the amount of satisfied customers probably outnumber unsatisfied...I get it. But having to roll the dice and cross your fingers every time we update is simply ridiculous.

DJI, your customers should be priority #1. Please listen to us.

BL
2015-4-19
Use props
cpslutz
lvl.2
United States

bostonlines@gma Posted at 2015-4-20 01:53
DJI should come out with some type of recovery software.  I have never seen a product with this type ...

BL....I have no data that new firmware update is causing my controller issue.  My controller would not recognize the firmware package on the microSD card, it never started the update process, so don't think the newer firmware was loaded.  Still, no idea why my controller is "dead" when it worked fine 35+ days ago when put on the shelf.  I drained the battery down as advised, not dropped, no static discharge.... a mystery.  I guess its firmware has been erased or corrupted somehow.  I like your idea though, of having a recovery method for the controller in such a case.  Regards,     
2015-4-19
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
United States

cpslutz Posted at 2015-4-20 02:30
BL....I have no data that new firmware update is causing my controller issue.  My controller would ...

so you didn't send in your RC with your AC?  It might not be paired.  Does it even turn on?  Did you try these steps?

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php ... e_Remote_Controller

BL
2015-4-19
Use props
cpslutz
lvl.2
United States

bostonlines@gma Posted at 2015-4-20 03:03
so you didn't send in your RC with your AC?  It might not be paired.  Does it even turn on?  Did yo ...

BL -- Thanks, but tried all that.  All it does is turn on and off.  Does not see the microSD card, the pilot app, the aircraft....it's not talking to anything.  I did not send with aircraft, as it was not broken and figured it would be easy to re-link to aircraft.  
2015-4-19
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

I too had to go through the repair process, but my crash was a defect or software error, not pilot error.  The turnaround time was way too long, I assume that DJI did not have adequate support staff in place to produce a acceptable time frame.  Hopefully they are working on it and hiring more repair techs.
2015-4-19
Use props
markwiss.hotmai
lvl.2
United States

BL....I have no data that new firmware update is causing my controller issue.  My controller would ...

Coming in late but after the firmware update did you re-link the RC & I1?  button on inside back of I1 needs to be pressed.
2015-4-19
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

United States

I've had the same issue with the RC... wasn't even after an update... Was working fine for several flights, then one day I noticed the video feed was very choppy, Next time I started up, no connection to the app, not in iOS, not in Android, won't take the new FW update, won't do anything through the app, so I can't initiated a re-linking either. Can't even calibrate the remote, which is done with the aircraft off.. I can still start the motors, enter/exit travel mode, and all, but it's like the USB port is dead.

DJI seems to agree, I have to ship it out tomorrow. Tried everything I can think of.
2015-4-19
Use props
cpslutz
lvl.2
United States

bostonlines@gma Posted at 2015-4-19 10:05

Received 2nd new controller today.  Applied firmware update easily, connected to aircraft, IMU check, compass calibration, etc. and she flies just fine.  Three test flights around the yard and all is well.  Will range farther out tomorrow.  Yah!  Finally flying again after 40 days and 40 nights.    So....my first controller just died on the shelf for no reason and with no abuse.  Best guess is something about the USB port failing and/or firmware getting corrupted.  Don't know, but I will be extra careful in the future on powering down / up  the controller and pilot app and iPad before connecting / disconnecting the cable.
2015-4-21
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
United States

cpslutz Posted at 2015-4-22 10:59
Received 2nd new controller today.  Applied firmware update easily, connected to aircraft, IMU che ...

Awesome. So you had to buy a new controller?  
2015-4-22
Use props
cpslutz
lvl.2
United States

bostonlines@gma Posted at 2015-4-22 19:14
Awesome. So you had to buy a new controller?

Yes, bought 2nd controller as always planned on having second as slave and did not want to wait another XX days of no flying while original controller was repaired.  And, I wanted to check soon that the aircraft was actually 100% repaired.  I just did not plan on spending the money for a 2nd controller so soon.  

So, in summary.....took 45 days for me to be flying again.  Already realize I will be flying more carefully to avoid this again.  Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.
2015-4-22
Use props
cpslutz
lvl.2
United States

1st Controller Repair:  Remote controller stopped working, would not communicate with pilot app or aircraft.  Sent in for repair, here is timeline:  Shipped May 4;  Delivered May 6;  DJI acknowledges receipt and check-in, May 21;  Diagnosed and repaired, May 29; Shipped June 1 and received June 3.  So, took DJI 17 days to acknowledge receipt and check-in, 11 days to repair and ship.  Out of my hands for 35 days total.  And, DJI said controller had bad USB interface and back plate, which were replaced.
2015-6-4
Use props
tobyrbrusseau
lvl.1

United States

Hi There cpslutz,

Just wanted to know if you had the Torrance address and any suggestions of sending my Inspire 1 in for repair?  I'd like to get it started sooner than later and NO ONE is answering phones in Los Angeles office in CA.

Please let me know your thoughts,

Thank you,

Toby
2015-7-14
Use props
Perry
New

Brazil

tobyrbrusseau Posted at 2015-7-15 01:05
Hi There cpslutz,

Just wanted to know if you had the Torrance address and any suggestions of sendin ...

The service center has moved to a new location in Carson, CA effective July 13.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-23584-1-1.html

This was their old address and I would assume that items are still in-route and arriving there still. They should be forwarded to their new address. I have not seen it posted yet.
DJI Technology, LLC
960 Knox St. Unit A
Torrance, CA 90502
2015-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules