Unexpected midflight switch to ATTI mode
3190 22 2015-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oscar
New

Norway

Hello. I have read in this topic http://forum.dji.com/thread-11537-1-1.html that this was a known isue with the inspiron 1, but has any one else had this problem with Phantom 3? My fourt flight today and the P3 was hoovering over an open space about 10 meter over ground. Then the ipad mini suddenly was saying "atti mode" and the unit droppet a bit. I could manually bring it in, but I got a bit scared of the behaivor.. If any of you have a suggestion to what it was, i would like to hear from you. Of course I had full GPS signal and the staus was green and displaying OK to fly, before this happen.
2015-5-16
Use props
applelinux
lvl.1
Flight distance : 505 ft

United States

in my case, my ph3 flew away and crashed

http://forum.dji.com/thread-18935-1-1.html
2015-6-12
Use props
23dronezone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7774482 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes this happen to me Today but didn't realize till I reviewed flight data.
My p3p crashed from 275 feet up.
I've flown 58 hours  with it and not a single problem.
I always do a preflight routine
Craft inspection
Battery
Props
Chip and then
Auto take off and then a 30-45 second flight control check all sticks control visual flying response
Everything was normal till 1 min 20 seconds into flight
I lost control and would not respond to controls and I saw the horizon line
3 seconds later it crashed thankfully into a tree a 75 mile per hour!
The craft got hung up in the branches and ripped camera off and broke a prop.
Flight data switching modes mid flight as well in the final 3 seconds before crash.

I am curious how many have had a similar experience?
2015-12-19
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I was lucky in my case after loosing GPS and being blown away in a 45kph wind the phantom did come back and land on its own.
Link to video
http://forum.dji.com/thread-36535-1-1.html
2015-12-21
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-21
Use props
fusionvortex85
lvl.2
Flight distance : 580656 ft
United Kingdom

My P3A says "Atti mode" from time to time in random moments , but I was totally convinced it's just a verbal confirmation of the flying mode I'm currantly in . Is that something abnormal ?
2015-12-21
Use props
fusionvortex85
lvl.2
Flight distance : 580656 ft
United Kingdom

My P3A says "Atti mode" from time to time in random moments , but I was totally convinced it's just a verbal confirmation of the flying mode I'm currantly in . Is that something abnormal ?
2015-12-21
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

Morph1 Posted at 2015-12-21 13:42
What gets me upon the reading of all this compass bs issues is that the system is so advanced lol wh ...

With only a GPS signal and no movement there is no way to determine which way the nose of the craft is pointing.  Even with movement a direction of travel can be determined but still no way of knowing which way the nose of the craft is pointing,  only the compass provides this bit of information.
2015-12-21
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

I prefer flying in atti mode a lot of times. I always like to take off and land in atti. Only one pilot that way, turn the visual system off as well.

In atti you become very aware of what the wind is doing. And if you are good at atti then if it switches to atti from a GPS failure, the system goes down from time to time and there are often disruptions between buildings or under trees, then it is no big deal. I often get the warning when low in the woods or near big buildings or power lines.

I find I can fly much smoother in atti. Drifting with the wind is a wonderful way to shoot. I use GPS primarily if I want to use an auto pilot type of program or to stay in one place. But I think if you always fly in GPS and rely on it you are not a very good pilot.
2015-12-21
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

2015-12-21
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

2015-12-21
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

Morph1 Posted at 2015-12-21 14:33
I was under the impression that IMU calibration would take care of that as it determines the XYZ o ...

The IMU calibration resets the 3 gyros and 3 accelerometers but no orientation information changed, that is only updated with the compass dance.
2015-12-21
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

23dronezone Posted at 2015-12-20 12:43
Yes this happen to me Today but didn't realize till I reviewed flight data.
My p3p crashed from 275  ...

Hi ,
Sorry for that crash . Please contact US support center and request a data analysis .
North America Support.jpg
2015-12-22
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Morph1 Posted at 2015-12-22 05:42
that's a great tip on shooting while drifting , kind of reminds me of drift fishing for walleye lo ...

The VPS works at low altitude , not limited to indoors . And please take care of the environment you fly .
VPS 1.jpg
VPS 2.jpg
2015-12-22
Use props
23dronezone
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Patrick,
I  called and emailed  Dji  immediately that day  12//2/15 . They were quick to send me instruction with RMA #.
I followed the instructions  and sent it that same day,  which they received it on the 28th of December.
They sent me an invoice for repairs presumably without reviewing the data from flight recordings.
Trust me I would happily pay for repairs immediately so I can resume flying ASAP. I've logged over 59 hours with The p3pro
And 20+ with the vision2+.the crash is mysterious to me because  I followed my routine preflight and 30-45 seconds inflight low altitude control checks.
Then started my flight and with control sticks forward at 70% and throttle at 60-70% it started rotating left and and not responding to my inputs.
I saw it dropping and tried to save it from  275' drop and managed to get extremely fortunate to crash into a tree and not hurt anyone or damage any property.
Amazingly the damage will cost only $94.00 + the $65.00 it cost me to ship it.
I knew wasn't going to cost much to fix...I know there has to be an issue with it. It doesn't seem like it was reviewed for data
. Just inspected for repair based on condition of craft.
They said it was pilot error!
I would have fixed it myself it were!
How can I be assured it was inspected for true cause if crash?
Thank you for responding.

2016-1-5
Use props
ksiecio
lvl.2
Flight distance : 158675 ft
Poland

Propably you have Compass Error and your aircraft switch to ATTI Mode. I was have similar situation.
2016-1-5
Use props
23dronezone
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

When reviewed my flight data within 4 seconds it switched on its own from gps to opti to atti and it flipped and starting losing altitude (dropping) I tried to save it by pushing both sticks forward and it starting flying in a straight path into a tree (25' off the ground.) at 75mph,ripping off the camera and breaking 2 of the  props.
It may have been able to stabilize had it had another 100'.

I'm waiting for them to review data and video.

2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

23dronezone Posted at 2016-1-6 04:44
Thanks Patrick,
I  called and emailed  Dji  immediately that day  12//2/15 . They were quick to sen ...

Did you request a data analysis ?
2016-1-6
Use props
23dronezone
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-6 05:37
Did you request a data analysis ?

Yes. I'm waiting for a response.  Im hopeful.
2016-1-7
Use props
23dronezone
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thanks , I received my Quad back repaired and I'm very pleased with all the assistance from my responders and my Dronefly retailer as well.
DJI !
Sincerely,
Manny
2016-1-13
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

happy flying again :-)
2016-1-13
Use props
claireday30
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Had the same problem no control input worked so in desperation hit return to home, even if it did say compass error luckly it returned fine i presumed with no compass it would not know it's heading, as for it needing a compass you dont need that for gps it's simple maths should calibrate heading before take off by pressing forward on the control it could monitor power drain on the motors so it knows the way its going to take off from home,  obviously it knows it's home position long and lat from gps so it should always be able to find it's way home from a quick calculation even with gps lost it should be monitoring its data in real time from home position so when gps is lost it goes back to it's home or damn near from the real time data even with no gps it's stupid the dev team sucks as advanced as tech is we should not be having flyaways it's down to implementation on it's failsafes rth is great they need to eliminate the compass by using some simple trig so when gps is lost or the compass fails you can always return home make the damn machine do a small triangle before take off that estimates take off point id rather carry a manual compass and point it north for map orientation the only reason it has a compass is for map orientation and ioc mode i would rather it used simple trig for home point rather than rely on an electronic compass which are known to cause problems.

in my case all lights were green  took the bird up 100 feet then no control at all showing compass error flew off at full tilt away from me about 200 feet no input from the remote altered the birds position so in frustration hit return to home which indeed saved me, looked at the log  it said compass error just as it went to hover from auto take off on the tablet the error only happened at 100 feet in the logs this was instant after auto take off this in itself is different to what my eyes observed i might be moaning but i saved it well it saved itself when it should not have anyway  as it had a compass error in my case it was pure luck i think or can say that 100% of fly aways are compass errors it should not be using the compass to calculate it's home position it should know this without gps or compass it can be calculated with trig and the speed it's doing at most it should be getting people home not flying away.
2016-1-13
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2015-12-21 16:23
With only a GPS signal and no movement there is no way to determine which way the nose of the craf ...

Not true.  There is a bearing indicator on the screen.  Lots of people call this a compass, but it is a bearing indicator.  If you face your quad, let us say north and do your compass cal.  Now you are standing with the controller in your hand.  If you are facing the same way as the quad, the arrow will be forward.  If you turn 180 degrees or the quad is turned 180 degrees you will see this arrow spin as well.  So if you face the same way as your quad when you calibrated your compass, the nose of the quad is facing the direction of the arrow.
2016-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules