Controller not holding a proper charge
2863 14 2018-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bonez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 696788 ft
United States

DJI replaced my Phontom and transmitter because of unrelated issues last year. I have not flown it but a dozen time since it's replacement. I have noticed the controller (being fully charged) will need to be recharged after only 2 flights of the phantom and that is not using the flight batteries to their capacity. I had the controller start beeping at me during a filming which had never happened before and caused me to worry about getting the phantom back. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that the Phantom and Transmitter were both new, maybe only refurbished. Please help before I lose or crash my copter. Thank you!
2018-7-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. I am sorry to know that you are having this issue with your DJI Phantom 4 together with the remote controller. May I know if the firmware of the Drone is updated? I will post the link for the latest firmware of the DJI Phantom 4. ( https://www.dji.com/phantom-4/info#downloads )

2018-7-10
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-10 13:10
Hi. I am sorry to know that you are having this issue with your DJI Phantom 4 together with the remote controller. May I know if the firmware of the Drone is updated? I will post the link for the latest firmware of the DJI Phantom 4. ( https://www.dji.com/phantom-4/info#downloads )

[view_image]

I will check.
2018-7-10
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

[view_image]

Hi, i am sorry to ask but may i please anyway, how would the battery in the controller drain faster by using an older firmware in the aircraft that sound to be working fine?
2018-7-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

LiPo .....

The Controllers use LiPo batterys ... some will claim LiIon .. but in fact LiIon and LiPo are basically same but LiPo has a Polymer addition ...

LiPo's do not like being left fully or near full charged. With controllers because of the low power demand - we tend to ignore this and not use storage charge. This is fine till battery finally says ... Hey Buddy - enough - I'm tired.

Then you get what you see here ............. short working time. You can charge and get full indication ... but start to use and it drops away like a cliff edge. Only remedy is replace the battery pack ... BUT DJI do not want you to do that ... so your stuck with DJI doing it when in warranty / you don't have the knowledge to change it .. or opening up the case and swapping out for your own battery (voiding any DJI warranty of course on the controller).

Nigel
2018-7-11
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-7-11 05:44
LiPo .....

The Controllers use LiPo batterys ... some will claim LiIon .. but in fact LiIon and LiPo are basically same but LiPo has a Polymer addition ...

I'll bet there are less than 20 flights on this new controller . I don't normally charge my equipment and then put it to bed. This being a ( what I thought was new) replacement for my old controller and Phantom, I have not spent much time flying . On the last charge I noticed that the controller would only have 3 lights on then it would shut down like it was fully charged. This was my second or third time charging the replacement controller. I will check the firmware tonight and get back to the forum. Thank you for the post and the help.
2018-7-18
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-11 03:23
Hi, i am sorry to ask but may i please anyway, how would the battery in the controller drain faster by using an older firmware in the aircraft that sound to be working fine?

Did you ever get an answer?
2018-7-18
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Bonez Posted at 2018-7-18 11:16
Did you ever get an answer?

No not at all but that also would have surprised me a lot.
That post from Stephen made no sense at all, asking FW level of Aircraft and claim posting a link to the latest aircraft firmware that we all know is not possible to download on DJI's sitesfor the P4 series.

Your problem can very well be the controller battery that did no like to be put on the shelf for a longer time, also it could be the "bad solderingerror.
2018-7-18
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

Firmware is current.

While calibrating the IMU and the Compass the controller it used about 20% of its charge.  I'm not comfortable flying the Drone for more than 1 drone battery's worth.  The controller does not hold a charge long enough to fly the 3 batteries that I own. This was NEVER an issue with the first controller that I had for my P4.  Since the first repair on my Phantom 4 , I've had trouble with this unit. I believe DJI makes excellent products but I'm finding that once repaired their drone become less reliable.
2018-7-20
Use props
Stretchy Pants
New

United States

[view_image]

My Phantom 4 just started within the past month not fully charging.  Charges up to about 3/4 and drains to the alarm with about 40% of flight battery left.  Do I need to send it in for repair?  

Thanks
2018-8-6
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft

Stretchy Pants Posted at 2018-8-6 00:00
My Phantom 4 just started within the past month not fully charging.  Charges up to about 3/4 and drains to the alarm with about 40% of flight battery left.  Do I need to send it in for repair?  

Thanks

And people say Lithium batteries don't get some kind of memory?
2018-8-6
Use props
fansd1d37d06
New
Flight distance : 28360 ft
United States

Here is a good one, Original controller replaced under warranty with the same charging issues (took 6 weeks to get back) , the one I received in exchange lasted less than a year. Sent it in, said it needed a board. with labor $213. This is not good.
2018-8-6
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

fansd1d37d06 Posted at 2018-8-6 12:32
Here is a good one, Original controller replaced under warranty with the same charging issues (took 6 weeks to get back) , the one I received in exchange lasted less than a year. Sent it in, said it needed a board. with labor $213. This is not good.

My first controller had no issues, then I got a replacement with my replacement phantom 4 drone. I think DJI has a charging issue and they are passing the cost off to the customer. DJI make a good product but the repairs seem to need some improvement.

I wanted a Mavic and also the goggles, but with the current state repairs and the company's willingness to address these issues I believe I will wait on purchasing anymore of their products.

2018-8-7
Use props
Kennyv66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53041 ft
United States

Bonez Posted at 2018-7-18 11:09
I'll bet there are less than 20 flights on this new controller . I don't normally charge my equipment and then put it to bed. This being a ( what I thought was new) replacement for my old controller and Phantom, I have not spent much time flying . On the last charge I noticed that the controller would only have 3 lights on then it would shut down like it was fully charged. This was my second or third time charging the replacement controller. I will check the firmware tonight and get back to the forum. Thank you for the post and the help.

I had the exact same experience even the initial replacement by DJI which I suspect was a refurbished controller now mine with 5.5 hours total is doing the same thing yours is
2019-5-7
Use props
Kennyv66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53041 ft
United States

Bonez Posted at 2018-8-7 07:16
My first controller had no issues, then I got a replacement with my replacement phantom 4 drone. I think DJI has a charging issue and they are passing the cost off to the customer. DJI make a good product but the repairs seem to need some improvement.

I wanted a Mavic and also the goggles, but with the current state repairs and the company's willingness to address these issues I believe I will wait on purchasing anymore of their products.

I will not buy anything else from them if they do not take care of this.  They know this is a product issue and have put a band-aid on from the start.

Very sad when they have so much going for them and yet they forget the most important part is their customers.  
2019-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules