prop gaurds for phantom 3 dont fit
3642 22 2015-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
viperajb
New

United Kingdom

hi there, just to let people know i have a phantom 3 professional and just bought some prop gaurds, that dont fit,? clearly states everywhere i have looked that the gaurds are 9 inches long, well after a quick messure the blades on my phantom 3 are 9 and a half inches long? very confused if i have the only phantom with these size blades, please could someone let me know if im on my own with this one, thanks,

2015-5-21
Use props
viperajb
New

United Kingdom

young.selina@ro Posted at 2015-5-21 21:04
The P3 takes the same guards as the P2. This was confirmed to me by DJI before I purchased a set - a ...

thanks for reply selina, but my blades on p3 are 9 and half inches long ? the gaurds are quater of an inch too small, are your blades on you p3 the same, and have you fitted your guards and they fit ok thanks
2015-5-21
Use props
jobes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25446 ft
United States

My understanding is the the provided screws are too long and they bind the motor. Can anyone confirm?
2015-5-21
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

jobes Posted at 2015-5-21 22:17
My understanding is the the provided screws are too long and they bind the motor. Can anyone confirm ...

Yes, it's point #3 in the stickied FAQs.
2015-5-21
Use props
Jimw_61
lvl.1

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-5-21 22:23
Yes, it's point #3 in the stickied FAQs.

Just make sure that the prop guards you select say fit up to 10" blades and for all including the Phantom 3.  I bought the removable ones with no issues.
2015-5-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

The P2 prop guards do fit and protect from unintended prop strikes.  The screws are longer to allow for the thickness of the guards.  Do not reinstall those screws when you remove the guards.  That will damage your motors.
2015-5-21
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-21 22:42
The P2 prop guards do fit and protect from unintended prop strikes.  The screws are longer to allow  ...

Can we have some clarification, as there seems to be more than one school of thought:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-15583-1-1.html
Thanks.
2015-5-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-5-21 22:55
Can we have some clarification, as there seems to be more than one school of thought:
http://forum ...

Here is the updated information.
The screws of Phantom 2 prop guards are too long for Phantom 3​ and it is not recommended to use Phantom 2 prop guards on phantom 3. We will release specific prop guards of Phantom 3 soon. Please check attached FAQ for the updates.
2015-5-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

young.selina@ro Posted at 2015-5-22 01:11
Please make sure this information is correct as DJI are currently offering prop guards on the foll ...

I have given you the correct informations as of yesterday.  This came from DJI directly.  I apologize for the conflicting information.
2015-5-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It has been requested.  They will not even get into work for another 15minutes.
2015-5-21
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

A inexpensive pair of wire crimpers that have screw cutters can be used to shorten the threaded fastener. Measure the length of the motor screw supplied with Phantom and add 1/8" to that measurement for the prop guards and cut those screws down in length.

Tahoe_Ed, what's up with DJI? I'm new to quads but have been flying nitro copters for years. After reading numerous postings about the Phantom, I'm having doubts about the engineering practices of DJI. I didn't realize that by purchasing a Phantom 3 Pro, that I was going to be a beta tester. Help a brother out.  
2015-5-21
Use props
BigCol
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361647 ft
United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-21 22:58
Here is the updated information.
The screws of Phantom 2 prop guards are too long for Phantom 3​ a ...

Since some of us have purchased P2 prop protectors encouraged by DJI who were in  the mistaken belief that they would fit the P3, why can't DJI sell the screws separately as an accessory?
2015-5-21
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

This is deeply concerning.

I have prop guards from my P2V+ and was instructed they work with my P3Pro. And since I have a shoot indoors soon I was of the impression that I all set.

-

Buy your DJI Phantom 3, DJI-gear, extra intelligent DJI Batteries, DJI Hardshell Backpacks from the DJI Store by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You have to take the posts on forums with a grain of salt.  Users don't come here for the most part to talk about their successes only failures.  We have thousands of users that have no issues at all and never post on a forum.  DJI has some of the most advanced copters available.  As you know coming from Nitro copters if you fly it, eventually you will crash it.  Many of our users do not grasp that concept and feel the copters should never have an issue.  These are not military grade but hobby grade.  Over time there will be failures.  
2015-5-22
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-22 16:02
This is deeply concerning.

I have prop guards from my P2V+ and was instructed they work with my P3P ...

I used three sets of the P2 prop guards on P3's at NAB.  They all worked well and we had no issues in over 40 hours flying in the cage.  It was not until the question was raised here that I was made aware of the issue.  Then DJI made an announcement.  
2015-5-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-22 23:11
I used three sets of the P2 prop guards on P3's at NAB.  They all worked well and we had no issues ...

Okay, thank you. So what should I look for, if I try to use my P2V+ prop guard set?
2015-5-22
Use props
3dnutta
lvl.2
New Zealand

Would also like some clarity on this, I put my order through with the prop guards stating they were for the P2 & P3, states it on the invoice but now if I click the link for the guards it says for P2 only. DJI?
2015-5-22
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

See post #9.  That is the official word from DJI.
2015-5-22
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

Who thinks prop-guards affect flight control? I assume they interfere with the 'vortex' created under the props?
2015-9-13
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-13 22:31
Who thinks prop-guards affect flight control? I assume they interfere with the 'vortex' created unde ...

Prop guards add a lot of drag and stress to the DJI3 airframe.  Do new pilots think that prop guards protect them and others from injuries?  Don't think they were designed for that purpose.
2015-9-13
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Joe Blow Posted at 2015-9-13 19:48
Prop guards add a lot of drag and stress to the DJI3 airframe.  Do new pilots think that prop guar ...

Interesting - what do you think they were designed for? Indoor use?
2015-9-13
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BigCol Posted at 2015-5-22 07:21
Since some of us have purchased P2 prop protectors encouraged by DJI who were in  the mistaken bel ...

I use 4 small washers to shorten the screws - easier than trying to cut them down to size. But now I'm getting to the stage where I shall take them off as I want longer flight times and easier handling. I'll keep them for 'indoor' use.
2015-9-13
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-14 03:15
Interesting - what do you think they were designed for? Indoor use?

I'm not sure what prop guards were designed for other then additional profit.  They might protect a new pilot from bumping into a tree trunk at slow speed or protect the props from a tip over anding.   Prop guards induce drag and stress that could result in airframe cracks.
2015-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules