Propeller Guards
2522 18 2015-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Do Propeller Guards have any adverse affect on the performance, flying characteristics or aerodynamics of a quadcopter - specifically the P3P...?

T.

2015-11-29
Use props
jonescalante5
lvl.2

United States

Come on man. I don't even have my phantom delivered yet and i know how to search the forums. Please keep the spam down or people will not appreciate it.
2015-11-29
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, if you fly for distance and at speed then yet they will impact the performance and stability. But if you keep the P3 close for filming/photos in confined areas ( maybe trees and buildings about ) and fly relatively slowly then they will have little impact on stability and possibly save it if you touch something.
2015-11-29
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-11-29 18:15
Hi, if you fly for distance and at speed then yet they will impact the performance and stability. Bu ...

sploodge, thanks for your reply.  The bit about "stability" is a concern.

I was wondering if Propeller Guards would have prevented this accident...

Drone Accident

T.
2015-11-29
Use props
jag01usn
lvl.3
United States

I saw the picture also, but I didn't get to read about it. I've been flying model airplanes , helicopters, sailplanes and also my P3P this year for over 42 years now. This would be one reason why I do fly with prop guards plus my sunglasses are safety glasses to help protect my eye sight also. Being around props, helicopter blades I know what the dangers are. Even my 4m Carbon/Glass sailplane traveling up to speeds 120 mph what could happen to someone if they get hit for unknown reasons.  Every time I go flying it has to be safety first. One can not trust our radio equipment at any time. Just the way it is. So when I go flying I look for people that are around wanting to watch me fly. I make sure I talk to them about safety and what could happen if someone like a child or grownup would get hit by a radio controlled aircraft. If a parent brings children to watch they have to maintain control over them and stay a safe distance away.  These aircraft look like toys but we all know they are not. So let's fly safe and be responsible and have fun.
2015-11-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

sploodge Posted at 2015-11-29 11:15
Hi, if you fly for distance and at speed then yet they will impact the performance and stability. Bu ...

Sploodge,
But what about your thread here. . .?
http://forum.dji.com/thread-32950-1-3.html
Lest we forget. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-11-29
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Prop guards are like big sails that catch the wind and slow your phantom and eat the battery.
2015-11-29
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,Tabvla
As sploodge said , the propeller guards can prevent your props being hurt if you touch something .
2015-11-29
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-11-30 07:51
Hi ,Tabvla
As sploodge said , the propeller guards can prevent your props being hurt if you touch so ...

Patrick, thanks for your reply.....  and even more important the props won't cause injury if they touch someone - like the kid in my previous post.

Do DJI make Quick Release connectors for the P3P props..?  If not, why not..?

And if DJI don't make QR connectors, what about these OEM connectors and guards.  Installation looks solid and quality looks good....

T.
2015-11-30
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Tabvla Posted at 2015-11-30 19:45
Patrick, thanks for your reply.....  and even more important the props won't cause injury if they  ...

Hi ,
Sorry we don't sell that for the moment . We still don't know about that .
2015-12-1
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-1 10:01
Hi ,
Sorry we don't sell that for the moment . We still don't know about that .

Patrick, thanks for your reply.

For the type of work that I do, quick-release prop guards are essential.  If DJI does not manufacture these for the P3P, can DJI please recommend a 3rd-party product that is approved by DJI, that will not invalidate the warranty or the insurance.

Installing / uninstalling the prop guards manufactured by DJI is not practical in the real-world.

T.
2015-12-2
Use props
AK Eagle
lvl.2

United States

Tabvla Posted at 2015-12-2 02:54

For the type of work that I do, quick-release prop guards are ess ...

Helidirect makes some cool ones that you don't even have to screw them on. They snap on
2015-12-2
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Tabvla Posted at 2015-12-2 19:54

For the type of work that I do, quick-release prop guards are ess ...

Hi ,Tabvla
Sorry but the official props are recommended .
2015-12-2
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-3 06:08
Hi ,Tabvla
Sorry but the official props are recommended .

Thanks Patrick......  perhaps next year...

T.
2015-12-3
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

AK Eagle Posted at 2015-12-3 03:52
Helidirect makes some cool ones that you don't even have to screw them on. They snap on

Thanks AK Eagle.  I assume that these are the ones that you are referring to...

QR Prop Guards

If these work as advertised, then that is a brilliant idea.  Just what I am looking for.  No messing with screws.  I really don't like the idea of messing around with the screws that hold the motors in place - that just seems like an invitation to a disaster.

At last I am making some progress with this....

T.
2015-12-3
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Tabvla Posted at 2015-12-3 20:44
Thanks Patrick......  perhaps next year...

T.

Sorry about that . But I'll report that idea .
2015-12-4
Use props
jrapijr
lvl.1

Philippines

Hey T. I got the Phantom 3 - Propeller Guard by DJI a couple of weeks ago and I used it for the first time on an assignment, shooting in an environment with a lot of trees and a lot of bystanders present. I have to say it boosted my confidence a bit more especially when performing complex flight maneuvers, and I've been using them since. I didn't notice any significant performance effects to the Phantom at all. (Although I bet some would argue.) I read the manual carefully, strictly followed instructions, and nothing went wrong. My only gripe about the guards is that when you're on full throttle, you can see them in the frame. (Well, you can always fly backwards to keep them out of frame and then just play it in reverse.) Best of luck dude!
2015-12-10
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

Tabvla Posted at 2015-11-30 11:45
Patrick, thanks for your reply.....  and even more important the props won't cause injury if they  ...

Most clients request prop guards for interior filming .Because of the more gentle approach to flying indoors stability is not a concern and stress on the arms is non existent.For me only officially approved parts.I personally  wouldnt put a remould on ferrari.
2015-12-10
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never flown w/o prop guards so can't say much but nothing that I've noticed. I am sure there is some reduced performance but probably hardly measurable.

My guards saved my props in 2 low altitude, low speed crashes (more like tumbles)  when I was a noob.

My P3P is a working bird (FAA 333) so I'm not into the " how far or how high can I fly before I lose control" thing so prop guards are just smart to have.
2015-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules