P4 was perfect until attempted RC Update-now I have a $430 bill?
990 11 2020-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PHREAKTOR
lvl.2
United States

Please forgive me if you all are tired of seeing posts about this specifc issue, but- I have never had a single issue with my P4.  It flew true and never had any connection or transmission issues.  I had just flown it a couple days prior to the following:  

I noticed the notification in DJI GO 4 that a firmware update was available for my GL300C controller.  I followed the provided instructions and the software crashed a few momentsi nto the update.  The RC became a brick with a cyan colored Power LED and refused to properly power on.  Nothing, including all the C1 and other button combinations, would allow it to power on correctly or connect to the software on my device or to the AC.  I then tried to update the AC via DJI Assistant 2 and the Windows 10 software application ALSO failed at the "Transmitting" stage of the update process.  Unbelievable.

After researching these two software/firmware glitches via forums, they seem to be known issues accross multiple versions.  I opened the Repair Case and after receiving a free shipping label (good job so far DJI), I sent the the AC/RC in for evaluation of these two issues and received an invoice a few days later totaling $430.00 for the following:

Item List
Phantom4 Upper Cover (Including Warning Sticker EN)
Quantity: 1
Net Price : 6.00
Total Price: 6.00

Phantom 4 Middle Frame
Net Price : 8.00
Total Price: 8.00

Phantom 4 Right Landing Gear Module
Net Price : 10.00
Total Price: 10.00

Phantom 4 Left Landing Gear Module
Net Price : 10.00
Total Price: 10.00

Phantom 4 Yaw-axis Motor V2
Net Price : 13.00
Total Price: 13.00

Remote Controller Main Board
Net Price : 148.00
Total Price: 148.00

Phantom 4 Remote Controller Upper Cover (With Silk Print)
Net Price : 17.00
Total Price: 17.00

Phantom 4 9450S Quick-release Propeller CW (White, With Black Propeller Nut)
Quantity: 2
Total Price: 12.00

Phantom 4 9450S Quick-release Propeller CCW (White, With Silver Propeller Nut)
Quantity: 2
Total Price: 12.00

Repair Service Fee
Quantity: 3
Net Price : 65.00
Total Price: 195.00

Shipping Cost

Total Amount

Discount

Why should I have to pay to have the firmware issue corrected when this is a KNOWN issue that was caused by DJI-Approved Software?  Again, this was a PERFECTLY functioning aircraft prior to connecting the RC to DJI-Approved Software.  The invoice also doesn’t even address the AC firmware issue.  Did anyone even look at the case details the Repair Request was initiated upon?  If I take my "Out of Warranty" Porsche 911 to a dealership to have a new key programmed via a proprietary "Porsche Dealer-Approved Software Suite" and they somehow blow up the vehicle's ECU (i.e. "Remote Controller Main Board"), do you think they are going to charge me for a new one?  

I have no problem with paying for the labor required to rectify the issue their faulty software caused, but having to pay for the hardware (Remote Controller Main Board @$148USD) AND Return Shipping is unfair and patently poor service, regardless of the warranty status.  This is coming from a business owner who has to resolve discretionary circumstances like this for my new and previous customers based on my own integrity.

2020-7-7
Use props
PHREAKTOR
lvl.2
United States

Here are two threads showing this is a known issue and in the first one DJI rectified the issue AT NO CHARGE and OUT OF WARRANTY.  Please refer to DJI Susan’s commentary.  Why am I looking at a bill?  “We brick it, you pay for it” is not right.  I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but this is very irritating considering there was nothing wrong with the drone prior to this.  Why am I replacing motors and prop holders and the RC housing, but the AC firmware failure (the secondary reason for sending it in for evaluation) is not even addressed on the invoice?

https://forum.dji.com/thread-149682-1-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-115628-1-1.html

A long list of search results specific to this forum:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&client=safari&hl=en&sxsrf=ALeKk01oJ7EGW10JlZtQyyy07Io7os9rpQ%3A1594164991524&ei=_wYFX5DGH7awytMPvaua2AM&q=phantom+4+remote+controller+firmware+update+failed+%2B+repair+site%3Aforum.dji.com&oq=phantom+4+remote+controller+firmware+update+failed+%2B+repair+site%3Aforum.dji.com&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAxQAFgAYMhEaABwAHgAgAGCAYgBggGSAQMwLjGYAQA&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp
6715388C-F7A7-4219-A4EF-7ED4C8D89CFD.jpeg
2020-7-7
Use props
djiuser_FlZEqTE48Kp6
New

United States

Wow that’s rough. Hope they take care of you. I would be livid if my ... broke due to a faulty update.
2020-7-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi PHREAKTOR, sorry for the experience with our repair center, I managed to get your case number via your Forum account, per the damage assessment team, the drone has cracks in the left and right gear, camera off-center after calibration, these physical damages are not related to the firmware upgrade. Since the warranty period has been expired, therefore, the warranty service was not provided.
For the RC issue, I will escalate to the local repair team to double review, we will have someone to contact you soon, please wait patiently. Thank you.
2020-7-7
Use props
PHREAKTOR
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-7 19:49
Hi PHREAKTOR, sorry for the experience with our repair center, I managed to get your case number via your Forum account, per the damage assessment team, the drone has cracks in the left and right gear, camera off-center after calibration, these physical damages are not related to the firmware upgrade. Since the warranty period has been expired, therefore, the warranty service was not provided.
For the RC issue, I will escalate to the local repair team to double review, we will have someone to contact you soon, please wait patiently. Thank you.

Hello DJI Mindy.   I understand that there are non-critical AC repairs that are not related to the reason for initiating the Repair Case.  I hadn’t noticed any of the defects listed on the invoice prior to receiving the invoice and they are of no consequence to me considering the RC/AC has always flown perfectly in tandem.  My only concern is the fact that a previously functional GL300C Remote Controller has been bricked due to the failure of DJI-Approved Software and/or Firmware and the to a lesser extent, the fact that the DJI Assistant 2 software will not transmit the current firmware.  They are current and known issues.

These are the only issues I desire to have corrected and at the very least, I would like the controller firmware repaired and DJI’s assurance that the RC and AC are back to the state they were in prior to the attempt to update the firmware of both.  

Thank you for addressing my concerns and escalating the Repair Case.  I will wait for your update.  
2020-7-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

PHREAKTOR Posted at 7-7 22:11
Hello DJI Mindy.   I understand that there are non-critical AC repairs that are not related to the reason for initiating the Repair Case.  I hadn’t noticed any of the defects listed on the invoice prior to receiving the invoice and they are of no consequence to me considering the RC/AC has always flown perfectly in tandem.  My only concern is the fact that a previously functional GL300C Remote Controller has been bricked due to the failure of DJI-Approved Software and/or Firmware and the to a lesser extent, the fact that the DJI Assistant 2 software will not transmit the current firmware.  They are current and known issues.

These are the only issues I desire to have corrected and at the very least, I would like the controller firmware repaired and DJI’s assurance that the RC and AC are back to the state they were in prior to the attempt to update the firmware of both.  

I understand your concern and have forwarded to them, please wait patiently for further communication from the higher-level team, hope it will be solved soon.
2020-7-8
Use props
PHREAKTOR
lvl.2
United States

Update- DJI has decided to do the right thing and cover the repair of the remote.  Just waiting on the work to be done and everything to be returned.  Thank you for the response, reevaluation, and service thus far.  Will update when everything is received.
2020-7-10
Use props
PHREAKTOR
lvl.2
United States

Update- DJI has decided to do the right thing and cover the repair of the remote.  Just waiting on the work to be done and everything to be returned.  Thank you for the response, reevaluation, and service thus far.  Will update when everything is received.
2020-7-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

PHREAKTOR Posted at 7-10 22:19
Update- DJI has decided to do the right thing and cover the repair of the remote.  Just waiting on the work to be done and everything to be returned.  Thank you for the response, reevaluation, and service thus far.  Will update when everything is received.

Glad to know that, hope you will get the drone back soon.
2020-7-11
Use props
PHREAKTOR
lvl.2
United States

Delete....
2020-8-19
Use props
PHREAKTOR
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-11 03:43
Glad to know that, hope you will get the drone back soon.

Everything is perfect.  Thank you for the excellent service.
2020-8-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

PHREAKTOR Posted at 8-19 23:28
Everything is perfect.  Thank you for the excellent service.

You're most welcome. Should there any further assistance needed, please feel free to let us know.
2020-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules