F-Mode Return to Home not available
1252 13 2015-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
raptor30k
lvl.1

United States

In the Phantom 3 Advanced Quick Start Guide I see a note under Section 7 that says Return to Home is not available in F mode.

If you lose remote controller connection you would not be able to switch back to GPS mode. If you can't regain control the Phantom would land (?) where it is when the battery reaches critical low battery.

Is this limitation still correct for P3A Firmware v1.4.0010?
Is there a plan to correct it in the future?
What is the reasoning for this limitation in F mode?
2015-11-4
Use props
tdrussell1
lvl.1

United States

I can't say for sure, but my assumption is that they mean you can't manually trigger RTH (i.e., from the button on screen or switch) while in F mode.  RTH still works in F mode, because modes like POI require you to confirm your RTH altitude before engaging it.   I'll have to see if i have the option to engage manually next time i use F mode.
2015-11-4
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have tested the RTH button in each "F" mode, always the mode stopped and the phantom returned to home as expected. (used v1.4.0010)  (Beta Tester)
2015-11-4
Use props
raptor30k
lvl.1

United States

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2015-11-4 13:11
I have tested the RTH button in each "F" mode, always the mode stopped and the phantom returned to h ...

Glad to hear that the RTH button works in F mode. Thanks.

Wonder if RTH works on signal loss while in F mode.
2015-11-4
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

F mode is GPS driven so there is no reason for RTH not to work. Wonder what the manual means
2015-11-4
Use props
tdrussell1
lvl.1

United States

raptor30k Posted at 2015-11-5 05:56
Glad to hear that the RTH button works in F mode. Thanks.

Wonder if RTH works on signal loss whil ...

I'm almost certain the RTH altitude confirmation that pops up when entering POI mode says something to the effect of "....please confirm RTH altitude in the case of low battery or signal loss...blah blah"
2015-11-4
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

RTH works in any mode, as far as you have GPS signal. you might have an earlier version of quick start guide
2015-11-4
Use props
raptor30k
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-11-4 19:00
RTH works in any mode, as far as you have GPS signal. you might have an earlier version of quick sta ...

Thanks for the feedback Tim.

I downloaded the P3A quick start guide v1.2 dated 2015-11-03 and at the end of section, 7. Getting Ready for Takeoff, the last bullet in the info note says, "When not in P mode, the Phantom 3 Advanced will only maintain altitude, not position, and will drift with wind or user input. Return to Home is not available in F mode."

I suggest that the last sentence should be removed for the next release of the document.

Thanks again, for the definitive answer.
2015-11-4
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

raptor30k Posted at 2015-11-4 20:34

I downloaded the P3A quick start guide v1.2 dated 2015-11-03 and at ...

Can't change the manual yet because if signal is lost pressing the button won't help.

If you are in Waypoint mode your flight will continue until it has finished the mission.  Then it will either RTH or hover (whichever option you chose for the mission).  Signal loss DOES NOT trigger the Return to home the mission end directive does.

If you are in POI mode signal loss does nothing it will just circle and circle hoping for you to regain signal.  It will then either RTH or land at current location when it receives a low battery warning.  Battery warning intiates the action not signal loss.

See these threads:  

http://forum.dji.com/thread-30961-1-1.html

This one Ray turns off his controller to initiate signal loss to see what will happen:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-31190-1-1.html
2015-11-4
Use props
RaptorPilot
lvl.1

United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-11-4 20:33
Can't change the manual yet because if signal is lost pressing the button won't help.

If you are i ...

Thanks for jumping in here.   This is exactly what I was afraid of.  Very informative posts and tests.

I see rayrokni posted his tests on  2015-9-15 so I suppose he was using v1.4.0010 firmware. In the thread he says, "Dji are aware and am pretty sure they will make changes."  I sure hope so. You would think this would be a high priority. Wouldn't want the bird to drop (land?) in unintended places.

Looks like there has been a lot of discussion on this. My search on "Return to Home" didn't find much. I suppose I should have used RTH in the search instead.

Until fixed guess we have to take what precautions we can. Use RTH for end of missions and cross our fingers for POI.  Or, don't do POI where loss of signal might be an issue.

2015-11-4
Use props
RaptorPilot
lvl.1

United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-11-4 20:33

If you are i ...

BTW - Looks like someone hijacked the link to your UAV Flight Planning application in post:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-29171-1-1.html

I'm in Arizona and Topo maps would be a good thing. Plus, I'm a database / web app developer too and always like to see apps in areas I'm interested in. Can you re-post the URL here?
2015-11-4
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

raptor30k Posted at 2015-11-5 10:34

I downloaded the P3A quick start guide v1.2 dated 2015-11-03 and at ...

Yes, it definitely will be! Thank you
2015-11-4
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

RaptorPilot Posted at 2015-11-4 23:16
BTW - Looks like someone hijacked the link to your UAV Flight Planning application in post:
http:// ...

Wow, that was pretty weird.  Not sure what it said.  I will post it here again.  They automatically remove the link after I post it for some reason.  So I am not posting it as a link just as text in a string.

"http://arcg.is/1EWHo6q"
2015-11-5
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

RaptorPilot Posted at 2015-11-4 23:04
Thanks for jumping in here.   This is exactly what I was afraid of.  Very informative posts and te ...

Yes, it was right after the v1.4.0010 firmware update.  I could not go out and test because of weather so I was reading the quick start guide and posted what I had found and so Ray went out and tested it.
2015-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules