Firmware - where to go from here?
1070 9 2016-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa039f73a
lvl.1

Newbie here..sorry. Used Inspire 1...working on understanding firmware...so I went to the DJI Go app and got to the About page... it's showing the following:

App   Version 3.0.2
Aircraft    Version 1.8.1.00
Remote Controller    Version 1.6.0
Camera    Version 1.8.1.00

That's it!  In some of the online videos I see the lists shown have many more items...for example - Battery...Gimbal...Main controller...encoders, etc. So I'm a bit confused on this for starters.

The second question I have is how do I know what the latest versions of the firmware for each of the elements should be.  I went to the Inspire download page at DJI and the latest Firmware listed is 1.9.1.30.  So I guess I need to install this Version?

When you install Firmware does it update all the elements, ie battery, gimbal, etc. How do I know if, for example, Remote controller version 1.6.0 is the latest for Firmware Version 1.9.1.30...ie, does each element have it's own version..if so, how do you know if it is correct?  Why does my About list only show the 4 elements listed above?

Well...I'd appreciate any help.  Since getting the drone I decided to try to understand the battery use/maintenance issues first and now I'm trying to understand firmware.

Thanks!
2016-11-8
Use props
filmalaska
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123225 ft
United States

Hi,
I wouldn't update anything until you read some of the posts regarding the latest FW update. Sounds like a nightmare. Do some reading first.
Morgan
2016-11-8
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi there and welcome to the forum

I would leave everything alone for now. If you would like to read about some of the issues that have been experienced by many others ? read the thread copied below. I am running the same version as you, based on what you show above and everything is working fine.
I have the video HD set on manual mode and on a clear channel for now. DJI will release a new FW update that should fix some of these bugs.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-66828-1-1.html

Rich
2016-11-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi, aircraft firmware update contains battery update and gimbal update.
RC needs to update separately.
The latest firmware version for aircraft is 1.9.1.30 and for RC is 1.7.40.
Firmware update is not required, you could stay on the current firmware version.
If you want to update the firmware, here is the video tutorial for your reference.

2016-11-9
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

First off welcome, you are smart to ask questions , take your time and go slow !

Stay put for now  ( Updating the Ac And RC ) until there is another update, the latest one has some glitches  ( 1.9 )  

Read my tips page , it should answer most of your questions .

Also when you do eventually update , ALWAYS  update the aircraft First , and always only update one system at a time  leaving the other system off.  So update the aircraft and be SURE the RC transmitter is off and the AC is OFF when updating the RC transmitter .

Even id the RC says it has an update ready to Install , you make sure to update the aircraft FIRST.  In case you are wondering it can cause major problems with the System , they can be fixed but it is best to just do it this way and you will have no problems.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-45630-1-1.html
donnie
2016-11-9
Use props
JaimeInspire
lvl.1

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-9 23:21
First off welcome, you are smart to ask questions , take your time and go slow !

Stay put for now   ...

Thanks for the reply. But can you tell me why the firmware list on the DJI Go app only shows a few items as opposed to the many items I see on the videos? Are the videos just outdated and things have been simplified? Also, how do I correlate the firmware Version shown on the DJI Go app for the items to what they should be? Otherwise the numbers mean nothing to me.

Thanks for any help!
2016-11-9
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

JaimeInspire Posted at 2016-11-9 09:27
Thanks for the reply. But can you tell me why the firmware list on the DJI Go app only shows a few ...

The DJI go app has been updated, that is why the screen is different , you can also and close many features that can stay open on the go App main page that are optional , For example the Histogram being one of them  and Gimbal roll being another .  I personally fly with these closed , you will also find if you double tap the main screen in a open area with no data , you can close all the data completely if you wish .  Also I pads and Androids  and cell phones will have a different display on the screen , much of the same data , just in different layouts .  

I dont quite understand the second part of your question ( but I will try to answer )  regarding what the layout should be . If  you are wondering if you have the correct layout by the version number , I guess you have to just compare to others .  There is no  chart indicating what go app 2.92 had vs 3.0.1  You just have to look and compare .  The latest Go app is very Good and works well with your current setup, I hopes this helps answer your question .

doinnie
2016-11-9
Use props
JaimeInspire
lvl.1

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-9 23:44
The DJI go app has been updated, that is why the screen is different , you can also and close many ...

Thanks Donnie...have another newbie question...which way do I insert the SD card?...contacts up or down? I saw a video where the SD card was inserted with the contacts up which I thought was strange. The user manual doesn't say which...I don't want to make an expensive mistake... I see from some comments that people have had some problems with the click device holding and I don't want to damage it and make a rookie mistake....just overly cautious I guess...
2016-11-9
Use props
JaimeInspire
lvl.1

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-11-9 16:44
Hi, aircraft firmware update contains battery update and gimbal update.
RC needs to update separate ...

Thank you Mindy...the video also answers another question I had which was 'which way do you insert the SD card'...it appears you insert it with the contacts on top as it is inserted into the camera...
2016-11-9
Use props
JaimeInspire
lvl.1

JaimeInspire Posted at 2016-11-10 01:25
Thanks Donnie...have another newbie question...which way do I insert the SD card?...contacts up or ...

Question answered in video sent by Mindy...just nothing is mentioned in the manual so I didn't want to damage anything thru ignorance...contacts up looks like...
2016-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules